son in trouble - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: son in trouble

One of the most assinine policies the Corps ever came up with.

Agree with all the postings. This should just be an NJP and not a courtmartial unless there is something more to the story. It's a blip, but nothing he shouldn't be able to overcome. Drive on...and one day it'll be a good sea story!

where theres a Marine,theres beer and fighting,while either drunk or sober,thats what were here for. We do it better than anyone. Some of us still do!!!!!!!!!

Just look at some of the things that we fight over on this site. How many times do you see BRB gotta get a beer. Then we say something stupid and get banned. Oh well you drink,you pay. LMFAO wheres 10Z? Hes still a friend and Marine..............

bootlace15 out

Its a shame how harsh the punishments are for drinking, I unfourtunatley got caught drinking recently, I dont have anything else bad on my record I have the highest grade in my class and was the class leader, and they say that theres a good chance I'll lose my rank(Lcpl) 1/2 pay for 2 months, 45 days restriction and 45 days extra duty, I was supposed to graduate pretty soon also. between the loss in rank and 1/2 pay, this is going to cost me about $4000. just because I got drunk once. But I guess I gotta live with the consequences.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    That sounds a bit drastic. I have heard many stories on under age drinking in the USMC. Hey my son had 2 restrictions back to back in 2003. He lost 50 % of his pay and was de-ranked. He says now, he benefited from getting those restrictions. Taught him a lesson. He still drank, but thank God was never caught again! He is 22 now, and actually has slowed down a bit on the drinking.

I wonder if there is more to the story than you have been told...

Sometimes the guys leave out a small bit of info to parents.

wow..before my son joined the corps we decided here at home in NY that if he was old enough to join and fight and maybe have to kill someone someday then he was old enough to drink, so instead of having him sneaking off to the woods or other places to drink with the boys we talked to the parents of his closest friends (they all hang out here anyway) and said, if they want a beer they can drink at our home, but...they all hand over their keys, they conduct themselves like young men and not fools and they stay the night all with our sons father and myself here to make sure nothing stupid happens..the boys all held to their word to us and after being able to do this they all told us that the mystery of drinking wasn't such a big deal anymore...so..since my son's enlistment in the corps and being stationed at Camp Lejeune he hasn't been involved in the drinking that goes on, he said that he's seen some pretty stupid behavior and it's just not worth what they do to you if your caught causing trouble outside the base...I guess it's just all in how you handle things, he's under some pretty great people there and he respects them a great deal, so does he drink, hell yes but only in moderation and that way he enjoys the "privileges" that he's given by his higher ups... I don't think the corps cares so much about the having a few beers on base, it's the knuckleheads that go off base and get into more trouble than it's worth...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Unless he screwed some General's daughter or "borrowed" an airplane, I am sure he'll only get office hours. A Court Martial sounds extreme for this.

In California, I've Heard About A Bill Being Looked At Discussing The Very Subject Of Underage Service Men Being Allowed To Drink If They Are Indeed Enisted! I'll Follow It And Let You Know The Progress. But I Also Agree, If You're Old Enough To Die For Your Country, You Should Damn-well Be Old Enough To Drink A ******* Beer! These Stupid-ass Laws Need To Be Revised!

Credits
    Savings

troubled son

my son recently left for his first deployment. totally proud of that boy but i gotta tell you he got in so much trouble on his last liberty. he too got a big fat ticket on his new crotch rocket. due to the lack of license he had it impounded and lost forever. then he used my car....totalled it and got himself a DWI. he got in a boat load of trouble. he's not being court marshalled though and i'm glad for that. he did get in plenty of trouble though fortunately though his career is not over....just a little muddy for a while.

Credits
    Savings
    i am going thru this with my son NOW. i can't get it thru his thick head that it is not a good idea to get another tattoo while home on leave. i just called him and read him this thread, and all the responses all the sgt's made regarding this topic. he still seems to not listen. he said the thing i am missing is that it all depends on where and what it is of. he also said he read all the rules and spoke to his DI before leaving PI, and they said it is no big deal. i just put a call into my son's recruiter to see if he can knock some sense into his head. i don't want to step on my son's shoes and i want him to make his own decessions, but i don't want him to mess everything up. he has worked so hard, and wanted this so much. i would hate to see him (*&^%$) up now...... is there anything you guys can help me with. something tangable that i can print out and show him?

thanks

michael

Credits
    Savings
    I went over this with my son before he left for Boot, especially since he's going into a position that requires a security clearance. I told him that the two things that will get his clearance yanked out from under him in a dead second are booze and bounced checks. I don't anticipate any problems over either with him; he's always had a good head on his shoulders.

Credits
    Savings
    Been there-Dne that
    Hand delivered by the "locals" to the C.O. at 0300 !!!
    Very ugly
    Ended up
    Yelling-screaming-extra details
    Nothing permanent. However I did learn to avoid capture

Is it true that veterans coming home from Iraq under the age of 21 are going to be allowed to drink?

Is it it just BS commin down the grape vine?

Credits
    Savings
    What's the legal drinking age?
    How would the 'new' rule be enforced?

This is like, one of those, like, questions - Bloop, your turn!!!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Like I am like totally shockeeeeeed!

Here is the scoop that I have found to date so far.

In 1997, the Marine Commandant issued a policy which restricted on and off base drinking for Marines stationed overseas to age 21, even if the host-country had a lower drinking age law.
    But in September 2006, the Corps lowered the drinking age for Marines in Japan to 20 to reflect the local drinking age.
    With respect to the "special circumstances" rule, I should point out that all of the services require the installation commander to get special permission from their respective service headquarters in order to lower the drinking age for these special events. For example, if an Air Force Installation Commander wanted to lower the drinking age requirement for a party to celebrate the Air Force's "Birthday," he or she would need permission of the office of the Air Force Chief of Staff. Because a commander would be literally "sticking their neck out," (in case something happens), in my experience, such permission is almost never requested.
    However, The Marines may have a different philosophy. In April 2007, the Marine Corps Commandant signed off on MARADMIN 266/07, allowing 18-year-old Marines to drink in foreign ports if the host nation’s law allows it. The message also gives the "green light" for Marine Corps commanders to have parties on base where 18 year old Marines can drink, during infrequent special occasions, such as a unit's return from combat deployment, or during the Marine Corps' Birthday Ball. The directive mandates that commanders "ensure that appropriate controls are in place to prevent endangering Military service members or the surrounding community," during such events.

In my personal opinion I agree that the drinking age would be hard to enforce and would create more alcohol related instances and maybe needless deaths.
    As long as MADD are lobbying Washington I don't foresee a legal lowered drinking age on the CONUS military installations.

The cliché that if you are old enough to die for your country you are old enough to drink can be taken and deciphered as twofold. If one has a beer or two and can stop without trouble or can drink and maintain without pizzzing on the Colonel's trouser leg,I personally see no reason why you can't drink at 18,19,or 20 legally on base stateside without being refused in a organized club system. In my opinion the problem is control and who cannot maintain the level of alcohol to a semi safe level without getting behind a wheel or handlebars and taking ones life or innocent people and taking the drinking off base.

Fighting is part of Marine Corps hood (SIC) but in my again personal opinion and speaking with lessons learned and age it is okay to fight but much cleaner and safer to fight sober. Not preaching because I always have liked a cold brew and a warm shot!

If a Marine or serviceman is out in town and the Marine at eighteen can purchase beer or spirits legally and the civilian counterpart of the same age is denied.....the fight is on!

Keeping the Marines that imbibe safe and limited to drinking on the base could be a logistical and safety nightmare that I don't see to be changed in CONUS in the near future. For the male Marines and female Marines wanting to party at a club or hotel out in town and can't be served because of age the fight is again on! I would like be totally Shockeeeeeed if the CMC changes this throughout with an ALLMAR to include stateside Marine Corps installations.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I remember the days......

Last edited by Phantom Blooper; 02-26-08 at 06:24 AM.

Thread Information