Marine Parents, how did you react when your child told you he wanted to be a Marine?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Marine Parents, how did you react when your child told you he wanted to be a Marine?

I'm currently 16 years of age right now, and will be 17 this February. I talked with a recruiter at my high school and he said it'd be best if I entered the DEP at 17 with parental consent and after I graduate from high school I will ship out to recruit training.

Did you have any objections to your son or daughter's desire to be a Marine? Did you have expectations for them to go to college instead of the Marine Corps? Basically I just want to get an understanding of what went through your head when your child told you. I'm preparing to inform my parents and I thought it'd be a good idea to do some research first and see what I'm up against.

Thank You

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I was kinda shocked, we had talked to him joining the Marine Corps before, he just seem to be a poster child for it, but didn't seem interested. Then 911 happened and he wanted to go, I have always supported him in whatever he chose to do, miss him true, scared for him sometimes true too. He's a smart man and as long as he's happy with what he's doing. I am too.

My son told me he had no goals, direction, or discipline. I had to agree with all that (even if it was just a bit overstated - he has always been a self motivated person). He did not want college right away, because he did not know what he wanted to do.

When he said he wanted to be a Marine, I tried to steer him to another service (Dad wanted an easier way for him). He replied, "Dad, I want to be the best"

Case closed.

It helped me that he was DEP and when I saw him dedicated to the physical stuff and to studying the knowledge, my confidence in his decision grew. And he has done very well.

My advice is to be sure in your own mind first. And be patient with your parents. We have to learn to adjust to our children growing up. Harder for some than for others.

It has to be in your heart to be one of us, people don't understand unless they have Earned OUR beloved title, Good Luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Base rule # 1
    You will always be your parents "child"
    They have a hard time seeing you go in harms way.
    Base rule # 2
    Your parents will do thier best to steer you in the direction they think
    is in your best intrests
    Base rule # 3
    If you are not dead certian this is what you want they will talk you out of it.

Semper Fi

when i decided that i wanted to join the Corps i was 17 one of my parents had to sign permission form my dad refused completely but my mom did sign and off i went when i got to boot camp was thinking for quite a while my dad was probably right sucked it up and did my best scared to death then look back now was a good thing had good time met great people would do it all over again michael carr cpl 1975 1979

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Marines, I've wanted to be a Marine ever since I heard about the Corps many years ago.

We'll see in the next month or so if I can upgrade to a poolee or not.

Well not a parent but my mom met my recruiter at my house with a baseball bat. Gotta love immigrant parents no PC BS

My Dad was in the Air Force during the Korean War. When I told him that I joined the MARINES, his exact words were, "YOU DID WHAT!!!!????"
    I would come home on leave and need to get a haircut before returning to duty. I would tell him I need a haircut before I returned to the base and he would say "No you dont." I would tell him that I am required by Marine Corps Regulation to maintain my hair at a certain length and he would actually think I was telling a lie. I have been out since 92 and I maintain a high and tight, and it still un-nerves him. Not, as lean, not as mean, but still a MARINE. Good luck kid.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'm not a parent but I had to tell my mom and the rest of my extended family over the holidays. I had talked to my mom a lot before signing the papers. I probably should have given her a lot more credit. I made sure I explained to her my decision process, my reasons for wanting to join and what I would take away from being part of the Marine Corps (whether a short enlistment or career). She wasn't all that happy about it but she respected the fact that I'm old enough to make my own decisons and supported me. She did try and get me to join a different service but if you know for sure this is what you want to do have a little faith.

I was more worried about my extended family. They didn't react so well (actually got kicked out on Christmas Eve and got a few cold shoulder's too). It's always nice to have support (especially since you need your parents consent). I can't stress enough trying to get them to see if from your perspective and that it's something you are committed to.

You have to keep in mind that they will be worried about you no matter what MOS you choose. A supporting family friend who served in the army said that any opposition is most often fear.

I knew my son would join one branch of the military ever since in was just a child, so it was really just waiting to see which one he would choose. But the writing was on the wall...literally ... he's had a poster of the Marines since he was around 12 or so.

He wanted to join right after high school, but I did encourage him to try a year or two of school ... but even during his schooling (he completed an automotive trade school) he kept reminding me that he would be joining the military as soon as he graduated. My reason for asking him to go to school for a while was not to discourage him from joining but for him to be sure that was what he wanted to do.

So as a parent ... all I simply want to know was whether he was positive about his choice. I think it is a fine choice and I couldn't be prouder.

Marine Family Free Member newskate9's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    My son doesn't talk a lot - he's pretty self-sufficient since he was about 2 days old. Being the youngest has it's perks I guess. He came to me about 5 years ago and asked if I minded if he joined the Marines. Knowing the time was years away, I said I'd be proud to call him Marine and I would respect his choice and support him 100%. But in my heart at that time, I was hoping he'd change his mind.

Fast forward - I have an older son in the Army. And now this one on his way to becoming a Marine. Asking me the question again, I'd answer the same way - but I'd be thinking very differently.

With "skin in the game", I've come to learn, really learn, that freedom isn't free. And if not my son, then who? Why should I or anyone think they deserve to say to their sons, NO, let someone else do it. So, I'm behind them 1000% on my bad days, and more on the good ones. I'm not sure I can connect the dots completely between Iraq, and A-stan and the homeland, but I believe in my heart also that our being there means they won't be here.

I've rambled enough. Too many tears to type more right now. I've got skin in the game now and I couldn't be more proud of my soldiers.

Semper Fi, Marines.

I am a PMM & agree w/gehrij- & as SGT7477 said - it has 2 b in our heart. When r son first joined, another MM told me her son knew it was in his heart & they couldnt change his mind, my eyes welled & i then knew what she meant cuz its in r sons heart 2. Both joined at 18. Their son is now 29, ours is 20. God Bless You & your Family

My oldest Daughter is in the process of joining. As I think about it, its kind of scary. Though it is her choice, not mine. I will stand by her decision. I will be a proud Dad the day she graduates from PI.

I have the benefit of knowing what she is getting herself into. I spent 8 great years in the Corp. If she goes though with it I know she will have the same.

As a parent, I would worry for my son but, if that is what he chose to do I would support the decision. I'm a bit prejudiced, of course, if he's going to join something, then I would want it to be my Marine Corps. Whatever my almost 16 year old decides, I'll still be as proud of him as a parent could be.

Thread Information