True Blackhawk down...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

True Blackhawk down...

Just incase anyone is interested, TvLinks currently has the documentary " The True story of Blackhawk down" in their movie section.
    I found it a very compelling and interesting doc.
    It's a step-by-step story, narrated by the soldiers who survived and Mark Bowden ( The author or " Black Hawk Down.)
    Just incase anyone was interested!

When we Marines were ther

Please take note that when 7th RCT was in Somalia...the bad guys took a beating every time they tangled with us.

Clinton then wanted us to fall under the UN flag and wear baby blue arm bands and hats. Commandant said HELL NO!! and we turned it over to the Army.

Semper FI to the MAX!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper10
    Please take note that when 7th RCT was in Somalia...the bad guys took a beating every time they tangled with us.

Clinton then wanted us to fall under the UN flag and wear baby blue arm bands and hats. Commandant said HELL NO!! and we turned it over to the Army.

Semper FI to the MAX!!!!
    I was stationed with RCT 7 at the stadium complex (Under Col Bedard) and can attest that with the help of the "Black Boots" of the 15th MEU, we kept a tight lid on things. The first Riot in Mogadishu was quickly quelled by Marines. I remember watching a sniper crack off the face of a dumbass shooting at us. He was popping out from a wall and the sniper used the wall to direct the shot. My team went to Digfer hospital to look at the mess... they reported he had no sinuses, only 1 eye and no upper teeth... just barely still alive. They respected us, or paid the price.

Quote Originally Posted by TwigNoBerries
    I was stationed with RCT 7 at the stadium complex (Under Col Bedard) and can attest that with the help of the "Black Boots" of the 15th MEU, we kept a tight lid on things. The first Riot in Mogadishu was quickly quelled by Marines. I remember watching a sniper crack off the face of a dumbass shooting at us. He was popping out from a wall and the sniper used the wall to direct the shot. My team went to Digfer hospital to look at the mess... they reported he had no sinuses, only 1 eye and no upper teeth... just barely still alive. They respected us, or paid the price.

lol..Thats awesome

Why is a non-Marine posting in this forum??

However, I am interested in what those of you that were there have to say about your experiences!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper10 View Post

Semper FI to the MAX!!!!

I'm pretty sure if President Clinton wanted us to fall under UN Command, he was the authority to do that, and even the theater commander has no authority to do anything about it, let alone service chief who doesn't has jurisdiction over such issues.

Not worth the price of admission.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureBootLouie View Post
    I'm pretty sure if President Clinton wanted us to fall under UN Command, he was the authority to do that, and even the theater commander has no authority to do anything about it, let alone service chief who doesn't has jurisdiction over such issues.
    That was not the first time that the Clintons' backed down from the Corps. When the first lady handed trays to Marine Security Guards in the White House and told them to serve her guests, the Commandant marched in and asked the President if he wanted to be the one remembered for having the Marines removed from the White House. He explained that they were there for a reason and that it was not to serve crap from a platter (paraphrasing here as I was not privy to the actual conversation).

They also backed down from the entire armed forces when they tried allowing gays in the military. They promised we could serve openly as a platform of their campaign... which ended up as the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" idiocy.

Some decisions are not worth the price of admission.

The truth is that you are correct that the President has the power and the authority to make the services do what he orders. But the commandant and commanders all up the chain have the responsibility to let their commanders know when they are making a WRONG decision. Sometimes that entails a strongly worded opinion. It is the reason Marines are who we are, and why we didn't join the army. Please remember where you came from when you pin on those bars... The President serves the Constitution and the people, you'll serve the Constitution and your Marines. I wish you the best in your career.

When you hit Quantico for OCS/TBS drop me a note. There is a lil Irish pub with a strong Marine history just outside the base on 610. Good beer, pool tables, and Marines. I have two friends that I served with in Somalia, both retired LtCol's that live in the neighborhood. Since I was a CWO, it might help you to hear what it was like from a Regular Officer and a Mustang.

Semper Fi
    Marie

Quote Originally Posted by FutureBootLouie View Post
    for Big Al

I was Bedards Ops Cheif.... who were you with???

Yes he does have to power to do that..... but think of how politically correct the Clintons were...... they really didn't want the bad press that went along with having us serve under a Foriegn power.
    I'm supprised you would even question it.... you lead Marines from the front... by example .... we were all VERY proud of our Corps when he stood up to the President at the risk of his carreer.
    Semper Fi

Semper FI to the MAX!!!!
    Might be resurrecting an old thread (but it did pop back up today) -- Gunny, RCT 7 left the city in order and it quickly went to **** when the level of aggressive patrols dropped off. By the time I got there (Oct 1993 -- about 10 days after the "Blackhawk Down battles) the initiative on the streets had been all but abandoned.

By December we had (then) Brigadier General Bedard stop in to overview one op and he was - to but it mildly - ****ed at what had become of all that RCT 7 had gained.

!

I was Bedards Ops Cheif.... who were you with???
    I recognize you from your picture. I was one of the CI Officers working with Rababy, Lake, and Donahue

Trying to revive this thread cause I was deployed with RCT7 (Bedard aka Bulldog) and also lived at the stadium for awhile. I even went out with a CI (CWO) who had a bad back to check on a couple houses...was that by chance you? Were any of you heavy cigar smokers too?

Are you saying you worked with Captain Rababy?

Thread Information