Request Permission to Come Aboard - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 75
  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by MavreenS
    Well, I'm glad someone likes me. However, I am still a "Nasty Candidate" for another year.

    Anyhoo, I've got a couple questions for you Marines here.

    1. Is there a way that someone could change my "title" from DEP/Poolee to "Nasty Candidate" or "Officer Candidate". From what I've heard, I'm lower than a Poolee.

    Not that I know of on this website. I know you are being humble but you are not lower than a poolee, that is for sure. Officer Candidates make E-5 pay while Recruits are paid as E-1, while all Candidates have completed or are in the process of completing a bachelor's degree, and upon graduation will be commissioned Marine Officers, while new recruits become usually Privates or PFCs. I don't see how a Candidate can be lower than a Poolee.

    2. This is more for the female Marines running around. Have you found an accurate size conversion for Belleville boots from men's to women's sizes. I want to start hiking in boots to get used to them before OCS.

    Cant help ya there...

    3. As you can tell by my location, I'm going to be heading to the UK very shortly. I want to keep my OSO and the Gunny in the loop on my PFTs. Do you think I could run PFT with Marines stationed there or could a Royal Marine officiate in their place?

    Cheers Marines!
    No clue, all I know is that when I ran the PFT for my OSO it had to be supervised by a SNCO or above. It doesn't matter if it was a boot 2nd Lt out of OCS, (which I had supervised on of my official PFTs)...but PFTs signed off by Pvt-Sgt are no good (my buddy put in his package with a PFT signed off by his Sergeant he was told to do a new one)


  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    It's officers in Marines,,, Not officers of Marines. Get over it. Fragging is still an option. Mebbie your head is a little too big. Last I heard, we work together.JC
    Do you refer to yourself a Sergeant OF Marines or a Sergeant in the Marines?


  3. #33
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    15
    Credits
    0
    Savings
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine84

    I'm more of a stockings and heels girl but, I can handle a M16!
    I'll tell you this, Ma'am, that's the one thing that makes me a bit nervous. I know the Marines will teach me everything, but how can I look my Marines in the eye if I have a "pizza box" on my coat? But, that's useless worry and it's a long ways away.

    JCam, hopefully we will run into each other out in the fleet. I decided I would play by the book for the intro and bust out the third person, just to show proper respect and practice for when I've got an SI in my face. Best of luck with PLC-C, but I'm sure we'll talk plenty before you ship.


  4. #34
    Marine Free Member sparkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Kingdom of Nye
    Posts
    7,762
    Credits
    7,377
    Savings
    0
    Images
    3
    I was a sargent IN the marines.... WTF... Get over it. you think I could never listen to a private, or what? JC..... you are trouble... Where does your brain reside? Don't even harrass me. I can hunt you down. From what Iv'e seen.... I do not yet like you.


  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by MavreenS
    I'll tell you this, Ma'am, that's the one thing that makes me a bit nervous. I know the Marines will teach me everything, but how can I look my Marines in the eye if I have a "pizza box" on my coat? But, that's useless worry and it's a long ways away.

    JCam, hopefully we will run into each other out in the fleet. I decided I would play by the book for the intro and bust out the third person, just to show proper respect and practice for when I've got an SI in my face. Best of luck with PLC-C, but I'm sure we'll talk plenty before you ship.
    dude you are squared away !!!

    seriously though its not hard to shoot expert...a candidate of your caliber (obviously motivated and extremely intelligent) should shoot nothing but expert.

    If a recruit right out of high school with a 32 on the ASVAB can grasp the fundamentals of marksmanship, so can you. Don't sweat it. Besides, in boot camp our drill instructors told us that females usually shoot better...I don't remember why but they said that.

    Its really really cool to see another candidate on this forum so forgive me if I'm excited !


  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    I was a sargent IN the marines.... WTF... Get over it. you think I could never listen to a private, or what? JC..... you are trouble... Where does your brain reside? Don't even harrass me. I can hunt you down. From what Iv'e seen.... I do not yet like you.
    Want a T-shirt?

    http://usmcshop.grunt.com/Grunt/prod...820F3E40C12B86


  7. #37
    Marine Free Member Marine84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    6,708
    Credits
    3,496
    Savings
    0
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by JCam0331
    Besides, in boot camp our drill instructors told us that females usually shoot better...I don't remember why but they said that.
    Cause we're a whole lot easier to teach than you knotheads - most women have never shot anything bigger than a SNS IF that. It's easier to teach someone to shoot it than to break somebody's habits.

    Quote Originally Posted by JCam0331
    Its really really cool to see another candidate on this forum so forgive me if I'm excited !
    You should really get out more.


  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    Cause we're a whole lot easier to teach than you knotheads - most women have never shot anything bigger than a SNS IF that. It's easier to teach someone to shoot it than to break somebody's habits.



    You should really get out more.
    1. What about us city boys who have never shot anything other than a paintball gun before we joined the Marines?

    2. lol thanks jerkstore, will do :-)


  9. #39
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    15
    Credits
    0
    Savings
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JCam0331
    dude you are squared away !!!

    seriously though its not hard to shoot expert...a candidate of your caliber (obviously motivated and extremely intelligent) should shoot nothing but expert.

    If a recruit right out of high school with a 32 on the ASVAB can grasp the fundamentals of marksmanship, so can you. Don't sweat it. Besides, in boot camp our drill instructors told us that females usually shoot better...I don't remember why but they said that.

    Its really really cool to see another candidate on this forum so forgive me if I'm excited !
    Well I'm glad you're happy to see another candidate here. What is making me uneasy is that you're second guessing a NCO. One thing I've learned is that when an NCO is wrong or mistaken, you privately discuss it with them and don't incense them further with a comment that can be construed as sarcastic. In your case, you respectfully disagree. Something like that will not fly at OCS. Even when an SI is wrong, they are 200% right.

    I, for the record, have heard it both ways. Officer of Marines or Sergeant of Marines, whatever, is a bit more formal. Nevertheless, everyone from the lowest Private to the Commandant himself is a Marine.


  10. #40
    Marine Free Member sparkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Kingdom of Nye
    Posts
    7,762
    Credits
    7,377
    Savings
    0
    Images
    3
    Want me to stuff a T shirt down your throat JC? Your startin to pi** me off. And I'm not alone. It's called Gung Ho ,Ever worked together? I didn't think so,,, snot nose.


  11. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by MavreenS
    Well I'm glad you're happy to see another candidate here. What is making me uneasy is that you're second guessing a NCO. One thing I've learned is that when an NCO is wrong or mistaken, you privately discuss it with them and don't incense them further with a comment that can be construed as sarcastic. In your case, you respectfully disagree. Something like that will not fly at OCS. Even when an SI is wrong, they are 200% right.

    I, for the record, have heard it both ways. Officer of Marines or Sergeant of Marines, whatever, is a bit more formal. Nevertheless, everyone from the lowest Private to the Commandant himself is a Marine.
    You're pretty formal and I respect that. I really do. As for me, I really see no rank on the internet. But I will try to be more respectful.

    Marines I worked with always referred to themselves as Corporal of Marines, Sergeants of Marines, Officers of Marines. That is because as an NCO, SNCO or Officer, your rank implies that you are a leader of Marines.

    I posted the T-shirt link in a jokingly fashion, I don't know why he is so irritated. In the DD Form 216 - Also known as a certificate of appointment, or more commonly a PROMOTION WARRANT, it states:

    I do appoint this Marine a Corporal/Sergeant in the United States Marine Corps...yada yada yada...then it goes on to say something along the lines of: As a Corporal/Sergeant of Marines, you are charged with setting the example etc etc.

    I wish I could find a picture of a Marine Corps NCO Promotion Warrant on google but I can't find it. You'll see one soon enough.


  12. #42
    Marine Free Member sparkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Kingdom of Nye
    Posts
    7,762
    Credits
    7,377
    Savings
    0
    Images
    3
    It was always Green,,,, Guess you don't get it ...Semantics is top priority for some few..


  13. #43
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    15
    Credits
    0
    Savings
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JCam0331
    You're pretty formal and I respect that. I really do. As for me, I really see no rank on the internet. But I will try to be more respectful.

    Marines I worked with always referred to themselves as Corporal of Marines, Sergeants of Marines, Officers of Marines. That is because as an NCO, SNCO or Officer, your rank implies that you are a leader of Marines.

    I posted the T-shirt link in a jokingly fashion, I don't know why he is so irritated. In the DD Form 216 - Also known as a certificate of appointment, or more commonly a PROMOTION WARRANT, it states:

    I do appoint this Marine a Corporal/Sergeant in the United States Marine Corps...yada yada yada...then it goes on to say something along the lines of: As a Corporal/Sergeant of Marines, you are charged with setting the example etc etc.

    I wish I could find a picture of a Marine Corps NCO Promotion Warrant on google but I can't find it. You'll see one soon enough.
    You're right. I am formal because the job requires it on many levels. Officers are expected to have a certain decorum and the formality and composure shows that they trust and respect their NCOs to get the job done. My friends and peers know me and that I am actually very laid back and easy going. However, when it comes to discussing my future in the Marines or my academic work, I am all business.

    I am also more formal online because no one can hear the tone of your voice or your intent behind them. Being a bit more formal tends to prevent ambiguity and problems with interpretation.


  14. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by MavreenS
    You're right. I am formal because the job requires it on many levels. Officers are expected to have a certain decorum and the formality and composure shows that they trust and respect their NCOs to get the job done. My friends and peers know me and that I am actually very laid back and easy going. However, when it comes to discussing my future in the Marines or my academic work, I am all business.

    I am also more formal online because no one can hear the tone of your voice or your intent behind them. Being a bit more formal tends to prevent ambiguity and problems with interpretation.
    I personally disagree and this is my personal opinion only and some POed SI will probably square me away next summer...lol

    I think there is a certain point where you can carry the formality too far and come off as unapproachable.

    I know having spent time as a junior Marine that sometimes Marines with a few rockers and especially Marine Officers can come off as downright intimidating.

    I want to be approachable to my men. I want to be the platoon commander where a Private can come up to me and say: hey Lieutenant, I've got a question about...(whatever) can you give me some advice?

    Famed Chinese military theorist Sun Tzu once said - " Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley."

    If you were a father, would you require strict formality of your sons? Negative. Your relationship would be one based on love, trust, compassion and respect.

    I believe that any leader, NCO or Officer that has achieved that rapport with his/her troops will achieve the pinnicle of leadership ability.


  15. #45
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    15
    Credits
    0
    Savings
    0
    Here, let me clarify. My leadership philosophy is very much "Lead from the front" and I will lead my Marines as I myself would want to be led. With understanding, respect, and a firm hand that knows when to let go. However, you need to balance that approachability with command presence, etc., etc. I guess it'll be a big experiment until I find the balance that works for me and my future Marines.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts