Request Permission to Come Aboard - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    84, I've always had some culture I could call my own,,, And as a Marine NCO I never considered myself Neanderthal. But your respect,,, I will carry to work tomorrow, just for me, thank you.
    Remember we are dealing with Officer material here. I would hate to think she would start to look down. She will soon get to know NCOs and I want her to know she can depend on us. Besides,,, Like I stated before,,,,, If I had a feminine side, I would have worn it out years ago. Sorry, I'm just a man ;}

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    84, I've always had some culture I could call my own,,, And as a Marine NCO I never considered myself Neanderthal. But your respect,,, I will carry to work tomorrow, just for me, thank you.
    Remember we are dealing with Officer material here. I would hate to think she would start to look down. She will soon get to know NCOs and I want her to know she can depend on us. Besides,,, Like I stated before,,,,, If I had a feminine side, I would have worn it out years ago. Sorry, I'm just a man ;}

Everyday when I wake-up, I find another reason the love the Marines and the men and women that claim that title. Sparkie, you gave me my reason for today. Just because Marines are all about the winning wars, doesn't mean that they cannot expand their horizons.

One thing that I have learned in my life is that Marine NCOs and SNCOs are the lifeblood of the Corps. They have seen it all, done it all, and for the most part, retained their humor and humanity. I have such incredible respect for all Marines, but I have a soft spot for (S)NCOs. Even tho I will eventually outrank them, I will be their student in many ways and I will know I have achieved my goal, to be an Officer of Marines, the day I earn their respect. Not one day sooner.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

hey, folks......

I think I love this girl.........

Well, I'm glad someone likes me. However, I am still a "Nasty Candidate" for another year.

Anyhoo, I've got a couple questions for you Marines here.

1. Is there a way that someone could change my "title" from DEP/Poolee to "Nasty Candidate" or "Officer Candidate". From what I've heard, I'm lower than a Poolee.

2. This is more for the female Marines running around. Have you found an accurate size conversion for Belleville boots from men's to women's sizes. I want to start hiking in boots to get used to them before OCS.

3. As you can tell by my location, I'm going to be heading to the UK very shortly. I want to keep my OSO and the Gunny in the loop on my PFTs. Do you think I could run PFT with Marines stationed there or could a Royal Marine officiate in their place?

Cheers Marines!

Quote Originally Posted by MavreenS
    Candidate Smiel requests permission to come aboard from the Marines of this forum.
    Yasoo, MavreenS.

I've requested permission to board a few vessels in various states of sobriety but was only once refused when i spied a female sailor and humped up the afterbrow of the U.S.S. Samuel Gompers. Thoroughly polluted and side gaited upon asking permission to board, the swab on duty replied: Well im glad to see you made it this far Marine and hate to send you back down but your on the wrong ship! We dont haul Marines.

--->Dave

1. I don't think we're set up to have a different title for candidates. But, then I don't know if you need one. You're not lower than a poolee, you're both near the bottom- but ahead of all of those that haven't decided to serve. You've already shown you have more than most.

2. Boots are boots. Any quality boots will do the job, and no matter what you do you will not be able to have a properly broken in pair when you get to OCS. If the brand of boots are that important, I am sure we can find the information for you though.

3. We don't have a too many Marines stationed in the UK, so that may be difficult to do. If you happen to be near a location where there are Marines you may be able to get someone to monitor your PFT. And I am sure that your OSO would be more than willing to accept a Royal Marine as an official monitor for your PFT. But, in all honesty, you're going to be an officer of Marines. You should be trusted to report your own numbers with honesty and accuracy. If I were your OSO I would be happy to accept your word about your PFT scores. If you can't be trusted to tell me how long it took to run 3 miles I couldn't trust you with the possibility of leading Marines into harms way.

SlingerDun, excellent story. The sailor must've recognized that you were a Marine on a mission.

Now, as it has been explained to me there is a difference between a "Nasty Candidates" and a Poolee. Nasties are the whale-**** on the bottom of the ocean until the day they get pinned. Poolees as soon as they ship and become Recruits and are slightly above the whale-****.

My OSO recommended that I begin training in Bellevilles or Bates ASAP since those are what they issue to Candidates and the sooner I get used to moving around in boots, the better off I will be. I asked her about other brands, such as Danners, but she insisted to stick with what they issue.

I update my OSO weekly on my run times and crunches, but the results I report are considered unofficial and are just for my OSO/A to track my progress. A Candidate can send updated PFT results to the board to be added to their package. In order for those results to be considered "official", the PFT must be monitored for proper form and safety.

Cheers Marines!

MavreenS,

I went to 1st increment this summer at OCS and you WILL be able to bring your own pair of broken in boots, just as long as they are either ICBs or Jungles. We were issued BATES ICBs and Belleville Jungles. If I were you I would buy a pair of the ICBs, they do get a lot hotter due to the gore tex lining but they have much more cushion/support for the humps. Just my $.02.

My OSO recommended that I begin training in Bellevilles or Bates ASAP since those are what they issue to Candidates and the sooner I get used to moving around in boots, the better off I will be.
    John Newberry custom boot maker reccomended filling your lace up boots full of scaulding hot water let it penetrate the material some, dump the water pull on the boot, lace up tight and go for a walk it will hasten break in time. I tried it on a pair of 18inch topped lace up packer boots he had custom built like a tank and it did make a difference. On another thread it was reccomended to soak boots in a bucket of water for a day, i haven't gone that far but i would be damn sure they were quality boots and laced up tight as i've seen cheaper and loose fitting saturated boots roll over at the welt especially the heel area. Most of us have less than perfect leg conformation and a way of traveling that creates uneven wear patterns throughout the boot. If its soft cheapo construction its gonna fold.

Beware the Chinese boot! most are simply junk footwear even some with old time names founded on quality that used to be built in the USA and elsewhere. Generations of hard work and family names ruined.

I've worn out alot of hikers and field boots and have decided to go with the lightest most breathable unlined boot that still provides ankle support. I dont want hot sweaty feet, i've had that and it takes my mind off what im doing sometimes to the point its hard to block out or crippling.

If boots feel cranky or are cutting into you and you dont care to soak them, a liberal coating of Vaseline inside on the stress points will soften them up and ease abrasion. It feels a bit gooey though much more foregiving than angry corns and supporating blisters

--->Dave

im not familiar with the others but bates and dannders are what i am familiar with bates you dont break the boots in...lol you breka your feet into the boot...the boots dont give.....and if you want to train with boots danders are really comfortable but heavier......and with the bates you have your gortex(all weather boots) and then your jungles.....the way you tell the diference is that the jngles have breathing holes in them..they are also lighter then wearing the all weather...for obvious reasons....i run all the time in my gortex boots......helps keep me some what in shape lol and soo much easier when putting running shoes on to go faster then with boots n utes.....

and as far as the soaking the boots...iv enever heard that helping out..but will say with the ITBs ive never had a problem with them and my feet.....as far as them getting soaked...trust me when i say they can be soaked for a few days while wearing them and still stand jsut fine....lol sucks while wearing them and your woodlands are just weighing you down and your flak is full of watter sappys that are busted open and filled with water and duece gear pouches filling up with water as well and not to mention the Abag for your SAW drenched and weighin you down....but none the less ill stop drifting off topic....the boots stand up.....but if you hump alot.....get danders later on....they work pretty good....they will run ya like 200 or so though......not the cheapest but they are worth it on humps.....jsut for the running and training though...get ITBs..they dont breathe as easy but they sure do give you the work out on runs....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sorry honey - I haven't worn a pair of boots (hiking OR combat) in 19 years. I only had to run in a pair one time and that was in bootcamp - in the fleet, I was on the Wing side and worked in a Maintenance Squadron so it was steel toed.

I'm more of a stockings and heels girl but, I can handle a M16!

Candidate Smiel requests permission to come aboard from the Marines of this forum.

This candidate is slated for OCC-199 in September of 2008 and her package is being handled the Albany, NY OSO. This candidate holds a A.B. cum laude from William Smith College in Religious Studies and Classical Greek and will earn her M.A. from the School of Oriental and African Studies at the University of London. This candidate hopes to move into Intelligence, either Signals or Air, after TBS and hopes to attain the Foreign Area Officer designation.

The two biggest impacts upon this candidate's life and decision to join the U.S. Marine Corps were her grandmother, a patriot and avid supporter of the United States Marine Corps, and her grandmother's cousin, Michael Benardo, a Marine who served on Iwo Jima and acted as this candidate's grandfather.

This candidate is a member in good standing at the MarineOCS forums.
    Ooorah Candidate !!!! I'm slated for the PLC-C Class next summer (I don't know what the number is haha)

You don't need to talk in third person !! We're not at boot camp or OCS here !!

I'm a member of MarineOCS.com as well I was going to recommend that site and have on numerous occassions. Semper Fi and hope to serve together as Officers of Marines in the near future !!

Everyday when I wake-up, I find another reason the love the Marines and the men and women that claim that title. Sparkie, you gave me my reason for today. Just because Marines are all about the winning wars, doesn't mean that they cannot expand their horizons.

One thing that I have learned in my life is that Marine NCOs and SNCOs are the lifeblood of the Corps. They have seen it all, done it all, and for the most part, retained their humor and humanity. I have such incredible respect for all Marines, but I have a soft spot for (S)NCOs. Even tho I will eventually outrank them, I will be their student in many ways and I will know I have achieved my goal, to be an Officer of Marines, the day I earn their respect. Not one day sooner.
    Candidate you motivate me to no end !!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's officers in Marines,,, Not officers of Marines. Get over it. Fragging is still an option. Mebbie your head is a little too big. Last I heard, we work together.JC

Thread Information