Solo Marines Often Refused Entry to Some D.C. Bars - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    So to change the rules, you would've all started fighting, if I'm reading this correctly? Pushing him around, calling discrimination, things like that? Real strong case.

There's a lot of places around every base that do this kind of stuff. For the same reason. It's their business, they don't want to serve to someone who they know has a greater chance of starting trouble. I hardly doubt it's some great conspiracy of hating all troops, just trying to avoid having to deal with fights and serious trouble.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    The first time I heard of such treatment toward Marines was in the Nam. I got to go to the big PX in DaNang a couple of time, the one close to Dogpatch. At the PX they wouldn't sell me any Jack because I was a Cpl, seems you had to be a Sgt E-5 to buy anything stronger than beer. I and many other Marines had to pay these air force guys that just hung around preying on us a $ a bottle. So I give this air force E-2 my money and his 4 $ tip.

They said they wouldn't sell hard liquor to us because when Marines drink whiskey they always get drunk, start fights with whoever is around, and tear up the place. I still don't think that's a valid reason to be discriminated against. Too bad I didn't have my squad with me, those rules would have been changed real fast.
    Russ, what do you mean you only got to the big PX a couple of times. I thought that was HQ for the 3/5?

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    Not bad, Billy. LOL
    Dave, its just jealousy that drives me. I mean, just think. While I was crawling around in mud, up to my azz. Barefoot, with fungus growing on my feet and in my ears and crotch. Eating half portions of C rats. Trying to focus with eyes, that hadn't slept in a week. Wondering if I'll have enough energy to make it through an all night patrol in VC infested surroundings. Russ is getting pizzed off. Because he has to settle for beer instead of Jack. I can't even fantasize the hostilities, he had for those azzholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Dave, its just jealousy that drives me. I mean, just think. While I was crawling around in mud, up to my azz. Barefoot, with fungus growing on my feet and in my ears and crotch. Eating half portions of C rats. Trying to focus with eyes, that hadn't slept in a week. Wondering if I'll have enough energy to make it through an all night patrol in VC infested surroundings. Russ is getting pizzed off. Because he has to settle for beer instead of Jack. I can't even fantasize the hostilities, he had for those azzholes.
    Damn, I didn't know Texas was that bad, I can see why you moved. I got my Jack at the px, it just ****ed me off to have to pay an af guy e2 that's all.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    And then there's HST drinking Pabst AND another kind of beer, at Christmas time. And a photo to prove it.
    Thing is Dave. Tony didn't have to have a photo to prove it. It was common knowledge, Christmas was year around for the 2/4. I can't conger up the horror of Tony trying to hold a Christmas tree with one hand and a Pabst with the other hand. Trying to call in on his radio, for a re-supply of beer.

The truth in the matter is that discrimination has always existed, and will continue to exist whether in Washington DC, Okinawa, Japan, Vietnam or elsewhere. Is it right? No, but it exists. The rules for entrance, (if there is a policy) should be published, and a sign to that effect should be in place. Is this always the case? No! Doesn't man it not supposed to be, which is the case more often than not.

With that said,if a person feels that they have been discriminated against, then there are various re-courses to settle the matter. As a young Marine, full of **** and vinegar, I didn't always realize that, and resorted to taking the matter into my own hands, as well as by fellow Marines hands. After this was brought to my attention after an altercation in an Okinawan bar, I learned that lesson by a well learned Sgt. Major, and the regimental CO. After sharing my insight to them, they took appropriate action, and issued appropriate guidelines to prevent further occurrences in that particular establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxzero View Post
    Not too surprising, there's enough places around any military installation that does the same thing.

Yep. There is atleast one jville "bar" that is like 26 and up. There might be a lot of single Marines in there, but theyve got at least 2 divorces under their belt.

It's real easy, dont show your MIL ID, dont have a stupid haircut and dont wear white oakleys. Look and act like a stupid jarhead, youll get the stupid jarhead treatment.

Thread Information