New to the Marines Question: Presidential Guard and more
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

New to the Marines Question: Presidential Guard and more

Hello - my daughter is engaged to a Marine just leaving for boot camp. I am trying to research as much as I can. Questions are as follows:

1. He said after boot camp he will be stationed in Washington DC and will be going to school for Presidential Guard. He said he will be stationed off base and have a regular 9-5 schedule and allowed to leave on weekends and such. Is this typical?

2. Also, he and my daughter will marry soon, but can she live off base with him if they are not married?

3. Last, is there a typical time period as to when he will be stationed one place and then shipped to another place?

If you ask me specifics about him I am afraid I am not too knowledgeable, he said I can talk to his recruiter but I thought I would start here first. I do know that he immediately upgrades to a position as soon as he enters boot camp due to his 4 years of ROTC, at least that's what I am told.

Any help would be appreciated, I am trying to prepare our family and my daughter for this. Oh and yes I understand a Marine marriage will be difficult. That's why I am trying to research as much as I can.

Thank you.

"To all those in the Military, we are proud of you"

It looks like he has the YW security forces contract. Assuming he doesn't do anything stupid and hasn't lied about anything to the recruiters then things look pretty accurate.

If he is married he will be able to live off base, and will be given more money to do so. If he is not married he will be required to maintain a barracks room. He could, in theory, live off base, but it would be hard to pay rent in the DC area on a Pvt. or PFC salary.

There really isn't a typical time frame. I would assume that his contract will have him doing the presidential guard stuff for 18 months or so- and then he'll be off to an infantry unit.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Im pretty sure that its a B billet so that means 2 years.

Jim

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lsprowls
    Hello - my daughter is engaged to a Marine just leaving for boot camp.
    With all due respect - he's NOT a Marine yet. He's still "johnny from the block" until graduation day.

He said he will be stationed off base and have a regular 9-5 schedule and allowed to leave on weekends and such. Is this typical?
    Pretty much but, remember, we have a war going on and there is a very good possibility that he may have to go. If not now, then maybe sometime during his enlistment. There are a whole lot of things to consider when it comes to "job" hours and such - technically he'll be on call (so to speak) 24/7. Even during peacetime, he will be tested every now and then so that he doesn't forget how to react when the real thing happens. The rest of the time he'll STILL be "johnny from the block" but he'll carry himself like a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by lsprwls
    2. Also, he and my daughter will marry soon, but can she live off base with him if they are not married?
    Until he reaches a certain rank, he'll have to keep a room at the barracks and be there for Field Day (the day of the week that EVERYBODY cleans their rooms and then they ALL get inspected the next morning) and when his duty section has to be on call. He'll be able to live off base but, like E4B said, it will be hard to do in DC on his pay alone. They will not give him extra money to do so though until they get married. You would have to ask some of the married ones in here to see how it works if you're married going in.

3. Last, is there a typical time period as to when he will be stationed one place and then shipped to another place?
    IF he earns the Title, there will be nothing "typical" in his life. He can stay in one place 6 months to 3 years - again, depending on MOS and need of the Corps. IF he makes a career out of it, he could get lucky and spend a whole enlistment in one place.

I do know that he immediately upgrades to a position as soon as he enters boot camp due to his 4 years of ROTC, at least that's what I am told.
    Meaning he will come out of bootcamp with 1 stripe (PFC) already - that's how I got mine.

Quote Originally Posted by sprowls
    Any help would be appreciated, I am trying to prepare our family and my daughter for this. Oh and yes I understand a Marine marriage will be difficult. That's why I am trying to research as much as I can.
    Yes, it will be hard. Just be prepared to be there for her everytime she calls crying because he has been called out to go somewhere.

And, IF he makes it through bootcamp, I hope you will attend the graduation - it is an awesome ceremony to see.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all very much for any input you can provide. I do have the recruiters number for any questions but also would like others input. I apologize if I offended anyone, I understand until graduation he is still "johnny on the block". Anyway, I am still learning and researching as much as I can so that I can be prepared whenever she calls. Any places you can direct me to learn more for myself and her would be greatly appreciated.

Credits
    Savings
    When I say offended, I meant referring to him being a Marine already.

This website is probably the best place you can go to learn the basics, so just keep reading and you'll be fine.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No offense was taken - it's just a thing between us Marines. He seems like a pretty good kid if he's ready to do something like this with his life.

When I say offended, I meant referring to him being a Marine already.
    Please don't think we were offended. We just wanted to respectfully inform you. "Marine" is a title, like doctor or judge. It is earned with a great deal of sweat and dedication. That's why we often correct others and fiercely defend it's use. Your future son-in-law will know what we mean soon enough.

Now if you were Johnny on the block and were calling yourself "Marine", stand by for incoming. ; )

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for those who responded. We have just learned, after him having a meeting with his recruiter, that he will go to Parris Island, come back for 24 days and then back to NC for 3-6 months of schooling, (I guess CIA, FBI stuff). Anyway, then after that will be stationed in one of three places up by DC. I told both him and my daughter to wait for a wedding until he is settled in. This is all new to us and our family, as no one except our fathers served in the Military. I also have a 16 yr old son looking to go into one of the branches of service. It's a proud and scary moment.

Oh, one quick question. I don't know if it's true or not, but if an individual is in any branch of the service, is it a MUST that they HAVE to serve a specific amount of time either overseas or if there is a war at the time there too?

Thanks

I may not be the best person to answer your last, as it's been a long time since I served. To the best of my knowledge there is no 'overseas' requirement. Best of luck to your son and to you and your family and daughtter-in-law to be.

Dave

I normally don't reply to posts but I feel that it might be time for me to say something here.
    Isprowls
    Not sure how it works now but years ago (86-92) a recruit would be selected for screening for the Yankee White program while in boot camp. While in boot camp there are several interviews and tests to sit through. After boot camp the Marine is sent to Infantry training. After that they then have an 03 MOS (infantry). From there they are sent to Marine Barracks Washington DC. While there they are waiting for their security clearances to be processed. They will be assigned to guard duty at the Barracks during that time. They will recieve training but not typically your alphabet soup agencies. If the clearances are approved then they are assigned to presidential security at a site to be determined by the Corps. The usual tour of duty is approx. 2 yrs. (1 waiting for clearance at the Barracks, 1 at the other site). After that the Marine is eligible to recieve the Presidential Service Badge (numbered and limited).
    A young pfc should not live off base at the Barracks due to costs and work schedule. Remember he will be at the bottom of the food chain and will get stuck with alot of work. If he goes to the other facility after clearance come through, the cost of living is high there too and there is no base housing.
    I personally think that the recruiter may have told him more than what may be delivered.
    And a tour there will not keep you from going overseas. Ssgt Vigliani (?) Navy Cross recipient for actions in Afghanistan Presidential Service Badge holder also.

Thread Information