What can I send my son(s) in Boot Camp?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What can I send my son(s) in Boot Camp?

My first son left Mon, Jul 30 for boot camp. His twin brother wil be leaving Aug 13. I wanted to get some ideas of what folks have sent in the past. What will be helpful to them? I plan to send good socks, foot powder, small mirror, small snack and letters, of course. Any additional ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Best!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Please sir do not send them anything until they request it! Im sure that other Marines will fill you in on this. Just send them letter mail, believe me sir it is what keeps us going. You are to be commended for raising twin sons that have been accepted to our Corps, thank you.

Jim

Wink

I figure I can pass along some personal mail stories to help you decide what to send. My loving family felt the urge to give me a care package in bootcamp. They sent a box with gourmet Marshall Fields brownies for all to share. My DI decided that since no one else got such a great package that I should sit in front of all and eat those brownies till I was full. Imagine a room filled with the scent of caramel chocolate fudge and having to watch someone else gorging on them till the DI says they can stop. Then watching that particular recruit work off the calories for the rest of the day.

Those brownies were bittersweet...to say the least.

Then, my birthday comes along...same DI hovering overhead. I open my birthday card from mom. Keep in mind that...all mail is opened with a DI in your face at high speed so they can check for drugs and other contraban. Out comes the card. Out comes thousands of bats and pumpkins and other mixed confetti in an explosion of color. Now if you have had any experience with confetti you will recognize that the static of the plastic makes it stick to hard surfaces making cleanup time consuming. You will also know that when it has little sharp edges like...say a bat wing...it will cling to fabric. DI is screaming while I attempt to pick them off the floor by hand. Practicality (like getting a broom) is often not an option in such matters. DI looks down at self and sees confetti on their uniform screams more. I being the kind soul reach to pluck some bats off of that afformentioned uniform. That was one of my biggest boot camp mistakes.

Ask before sending anything, this isn't the Army ma'am. Let others recruits test those waters first, your son will thank you for a heads-up on that.

Credits
    Savings
    I could not agree more.
    Low profiles are sometimes better.
    There will be plenty of time for "care" packages.
    It's a thrill to just get a letter(non stinky version)

Oh! yes i found out to, that its not a good idea to get stuff from home. I too had a good time with it.

we had girls getting mail addressed to them as being Sergeants and Captains.. one of our weight(overweight) recruits got a huge package of fudge for christmas and she definitely went to the Quarterdeck with it.. oh good times... Our SDI wasn't happy with her..
    I was there for Christmas, New Years and Valentines day.. On Valentines Day my dad, SSgt in the Army, thought it would be funny to send my SDI a Valentine. I had never been so nervous in my life. Surprisingly she never said a word. ..

SEnd nothing

Don"t send anything .When he gets to the FMF that will be a fine ,but please
    NOTHING now. You and him will have a lot of laughs when he gets home.
    Respectfully---David J.

When I was in boot camp our platoon guide received a bottle of whiskey and a cigar. He got to enjoy both while we were out doing PT. I reccomend you send that!!!!!

J/K
    A letter at least once a week is all that needs to be sent.

Although if you want to have some fun with them, I do have some very good ideas!!!! Just let me know..... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Just remembered this one...

My brother (in the Army) wrote this on the outside of one of my envelopes:

M= Muscles
    A= Are
    R= Required
    I= Intelligence
    N= Not
    E= Essential

Needless to say.... I had to pay for that one!!!!!

Just send letters. Mail call is what the recruits live for. All the recruits need will be issued to them by the Corps. Twin Marines? Outstanding!

As others said, unless you want them to be given "the business", to put it nicely, then only send letters.

Wow! Thanks for the responses. I guess I shouldn't send anything until I hear from them. The recruiter mentioned that socks were ok to send. Does any body really think this could be a problem?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDogDadx2
    Wow! Thanks for the responses. I guess I shouldn't send anything until I hear from them. The recruiter mentioned that socks were ok to send. Does any body really think this could be a problem?
    Letters only. Socks are issued. Do him a big favor, letters only.

Listen and hear what is being said. Letters only, and lots of them. Your recruit will thank you. No socks, no candy, no shave gear, nothing except letters full of GOOD news from the home front.

Credits
    Savings
    I can just imagine the FUN a Good Senior DI could have with a pair of socks from MOMMY. As Elanore Roosevelt once said, "If you have a son on Parris Island, PRAY for him." Letters and your support is all he needs. Hold your Head High Mom, you are soon to be presented with Two FINE Young Men. I Know, I thought I was Proud the Day I walked across that Parade Deck in 1964, That didn'tcompare to the Pride I felt seeing my Son walk that same walk 22 years later. Semper Fi Mom

Thread Information