How to convince my wife?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question How to convince my wife?

I am a former Parris Island recruit who was unfortunately medically discharged on training day 19 about 5 years ago. I am now able to return and finish what I started and finally become a MARINE . I am recently married to a great outstanding woman, but really does not want anything to do with me rejoining. I plan on part-timing it in the reserves so she does not have to relocate. Does anyone have any possible solutions for my problem? I love my wife but I love the Marine Corps also. Has anyone else had this perdicament before and if so any advice on how to get my wife behind me on this would be greatly appreciated.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sorry babe - maybe you should have discussed this BEFORE you married her. Depends on how bad YOU want it - you can either try to earn the Title again or you can hold onto what you sleep with every night - choice is yours.

Your choice! It sounds like it's either her or the Corps! Weigh your options very carefully! Can't have your cake and eat it too! Good luck!

ive been a reservist for 3 yrs and no matter what if you were in the corps or not relationships are constantly a challenge granited they are harder in the corps but she should understand that this is what you want and your willing to compromise by being a reservist so keep your head up and just talk to her and maybee youll come up with somethin together
    semper fi

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    Sorry babe - maybe you should have discussed this BEFORE you married her. Depends on how bad YOU want it - you can either try to earn the Title again or you can hold onto what you sleep with every night - choice is yours.
    ofch, listen to Marine84, very good advise there Kim.

BTW Kim, what did you mean by, "holding onto what you sleep with every night"...were you saying that if he got divorced over this that the only thing he will be holding onto every night is what he was born with, hehehe.

Sometimes I read into posts too much...its a sickness I've got.

If the Recruiter will let you get involved with DEP / Poollee activities before you commit again for the sake of taking her along to show her some things it might sway her...just an idea. I did that for fence-sitters when I was a Recruiter. It did NOT always work but you have absolutely nothing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by jetdoc
    ofch, listen to Marine84, very good advise there Kim.

BTW Kim, what did you mean by, "holding onto what you sleep with every night"...were you saying that if he got divorced over this that the only thing he will be holding onto every night is what he was born with, hehehe.

I dont think that Old Lady thumb and her four daughters will keep you very warm at night

Credits
    Savings
    If you want this, really, REALLY want to go back to boot camp, and then, IF you are gonna be dis-gruntled for the rest of your life over it if you do not do it, then you probably should go for it. You have to be the person who you want to be or you may not ever be happy with yourself. Your wife will have to accept you. It's tough to learn to support your spouse, no matter how f***ed up I am - ummm, ... 'errr THEY are.

If you are not 100% committed to earning the Title, then make the wife happy, 'cause " if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy ". Then you can live vicariously through Leatherneck.com.

PS I'm getting (re) married in 3 days. Anybody got a camp in the backwoods and no telephone lines? Why do I do this to myself????

C

Guilt or regret? Which is worse?

PS I'm getting (re) married in 3 days.
    Best Wishes Chumley!

Ellie

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Drifter! 2 days and counting......My bro is a Gunny and is my best man...flew in last night. I couldn't let him wear his blues - he would have stolen the show (: and probably my fiancee too. Hey - where is she?????

hey i kinda have the same problem I'm a poolee and my wife doesn't want me to do any infantry at first and what i did was take her with me to the poolee functions and guess what she'll be dipping in next year but what suck is i put in my m.o.s request and i got legal service but after like 3 month of in d.e.p she turned around and up for what ever i want so if i don't like L.S I'm going 4 combat engineer so what I'm basically saying is give her some time she still used to the civilian morals of life get her involved and the marine spirt well come out ........Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'd have to say...... Get her a new credit card.....;]

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdoc
    I had to lighten it up in THIS forum - now, if we were in the Hooch................you know how it would have read. I wouldn't recommend ANYBODY that's already married join - there is WAY too much temptation and ya'll know what I mean. If you think your marriage could last through it, fine, have at it and I support you 100%. If it's just another case of "I married her cause she gives good ....................." types and it probably won't go very far anyway, then join the Corps and have the time of your life!

When I met my ex-wife I was an active duty Marine, she knew this and accepted it as a condition of marriage. After marriage (about 4 months) I was prepairing to reenlist when I received PCS orders to Japan. The wife went ballistic..said that if I didn't get out and come home that I wouldn't have a home to come to...still being full of the "flush of love", I foolishly did not reenlist, became a civillian and was miserable...for 5 years, working shift work (nights) weekends, holidays, 16 hours a day, 6 days a week during which time the wife found other "interests". After 5 years of this crap, I reenlisted as a reservist, did 6 weeks of AD for ADT (2 weeks advance party, 2 weeks AT, 2 weeks rear party), came home and submitted a request to return to full AD. Returned to AD in Sept 85, got my divorce papers in the mail in Oct 85. The break in service cost me an active duty retirement, as I was RIFed in 1992 with 16 years AD so I had to settle for a reserve retirement. Best advice I can give you is YOU and YOU alone decide what is best FOR YOU.. if the wife is the most important thing in your life..so be it, accede to her wishes. If the Corps is more important.. then tell her what YOU want, and then DO IT. If she isn't happy with your decision, believe me, she will not let the door hit her in the a$$ on her way out.

Thread Information