Whats The Toughest Summit
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Whats The Toughest Summit

While on an 8 mile (Gut Maintenance) Hike today i was thinking about the hills of Pendleton. Most of them were no name mankillers like those in the NE towards Case Springs, the names i recall were: Old Smokey, 1st Sergeants Hill, and the notorious Mt. MF'er.

Smokey is a grinder of a hump that takes plenty of stamina, 1st Sergeants Hill looks imposing and although i was stationed near the base of it for some 5 months never had the sorry pleasure of ascending it. So for sheer vertically induced pain under a heavy load i'm leaning towards Mt. Mutha...It would be interesting to hear personal accounts of bonafide ass kickers at Pendelton, other bases or in foreign countrys that have indelibly carved positions into Grunt diary's.

--->Dave

Oh, I remember those bad boys. But, Mt. Mutha is the only one I recoginize by name. We had a few though that would make you want to die like: the elevator, Recon Ridge and the freakin' microwave. These might be the same as what you listed just by other names but either way there is no doubt that they kick your butt.

We had one in the stumps called Cardiac..and for good reason!! It was rumored to be the place of where some old SSgt. had a heart attack, and died while on a hump over the summit!

Mt Fuji (Japan) kicked my butt worse than anything else for sure, but here on Camp Pendleton I think the worst is probably "Mt. MotherF'er", you guys are right about that one. I'm at the base of 1st Sgt's Hill right now up in San Mateo (same one SlingerDun mentioned?), and that one is pretty tough too.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I remember some twin peaks in Japan that were hard to mount,,,, ;]

Training in the hilltops of Korea. Why did we go up the moutain and not around....because it was there.

Suprisingly warm for the month of December with Utilities and goretex jacket only,....but that hill seemed like it was never going to end.

Intimately familiar with Cardiac and "sugar cookie" as well.

How are these hills compared to the Grim Reaper, or is the Grim Reaper just a mini hill compared to these summits?

Cardiac was very similar to the Reaper.

It was a good stretch and the big difference was that instead of packed sand, it was loose sand that one seemed like they could never gain headway in. Also with the terrain it seemed like it went on forever. You got to what appeared to be the top and it kept going.

Sugar cookie was just a loose hill top overlooking a small LZ in 29 Palms. You took one step and sank and just kept the feet moving to try and take another.

To be quite honest, I would prefer the reaper anyday.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Going from San Meteo to San Onefre boots and utes with a light pack the gunny would yell.... look to your left .... fall out and that is where we will be going on the return trip you and I. We occasionally ran to San Onefres O course ... did that then ran back. Glad I never fell out cause the gunny wasn't kidding.

Cool

Poolees: dont fear these hills they are nothing more than overgrown piles of dirt, rock, brush and sand. But they do bite and kick so be aware they exist as you may have to hump them and that takes conditioning so be prepared, always. Marine land navigators says there are no mountains only hills but i can easily disagree with that. There's Mountains in my backforty that use hills as a foot rest.

Its a great feeling when you summit an asskicker and get your wind back but stay focused for the descent. This is when most of us thinking the worst of it is over, get sloppy.

I heard a HEADS UP! just in time to dodge a 200lb green tumbleweed bowling down Mt. Mutha. That big helmuted gunsel made a violent ruckus crashing and banging, kicking up dust as he mowed down 2 fireteams before he stalled out. Word was had his poncho not worked loose and popped open like a parachute brake, he might have picked up the Chief D.I. and Series Commander for a strike! but thats just scuttlebutt.

--->Dave

I believe 9494 at Bridgeport is the worst one I have been up.

Quote Originally Posted by jebollenbach
    I believe 9494 at Bridgeport is the worst one I have been up.
    I completely agree, and sad to say that I am headed back there this year.

I Hated Mt Mother..., And 9494. Both Were Worse At The Time I Was Humpin Them, But Mount Mother Remains My All Time Favorite One To Hate.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    THE MATTERHORN,IN THE ITALIAN-SWISS ALP'S WAS QUITE STRENUOUS

Thread Information