GOING BACK to the corps advice!!!
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

GOING BACK to the corps advice!!!

I got out of the marine corps in july of 03 as a cpl. with the mos 0311 RE-ENTRY CODE OF RE-1A...no real reason for getting out but wanting to try out civilian life....I graduated the police academy and passed the state test for law enforcement I am almost done with the hiring process for the sheriff's dept...But it has not filled the void I miss the corps...so after alot of disccusions with my wife she has agreed to let me go back to the marines........Two thursdays ago I spoke with the recruiting office in my town were I 1st. joined ,the staff sgt. told me to come by the office that friday and he would get my paper work going so I could go to meps. I went that firday an he made copies of my dd-214 forms, marriage certificate, ect. ect. ect. He then told me that he would call me the next monday but he never did call I did not hear from him on tuesday either so I gave him call on wendsday he apologized for not calling me and said the office was a mad house ..He told me to go by the office the next day at 1500 which I did and to my surprise he was not there and the offices were closed !!!...I gave the staff sgt. a call and left him a message telling him that I know he probablly got cought up doing something and to give me a call back so we could get my paperwork done so i could go to meps .....It's allready monday and i have not heard from him....I went to the marine corps website and got the number for the closest prior service recruiter which is in a city about 1 hr. away...My question is should i forget about the staff sgt. and go ahead and call the psr ???....i fell like he does not want to deal with the extra paper work for a prior service marine and waivers he said I would need one because i have 4 dependents including myself...anyway any advice and suggestions welcomed I just want the fastest way back to the Corps!!!

One reason that you are having a hard time with a recruiter is because you do not count as a quota. The recruiter does not get anything for getting you back in the Marine Corps, only never joins. He can put it on a fit rep, but that wouldn't matter if he doesn't meet his montly quota.

Call the PSR. Most of them are really good about pointing you in the right direction or giving advise. In the end, you will still have to go through a recruiter.

An alternate way, just longer, become a drilling reservist (SMCR), then go to AR (active reserve) or active duty. Sort of a back door to the system. I was active duty for 9 years prior to becoming a reservist (trying out the civilian thing). I honestly do not like the reserves, but having the ability to put my uniform back on, even once a month, numbs the pain of not doing it everyday.

Bingo. The Corps really takes it's sweet *ssed time with prior service Marines. I waited, literally, since last October without hearing a dang thing from my PSR, who has less than impressed me. No word, no email, calls unanswered, etc etc, and I was trying to join a USMCR unit that had an open slot for me, and would have taken me in a heartbeat.

The only thing I can tell you is keep after this guy, be a pest, keep calling and going by, emailing, the whole bit. If, after another 2 weeks you don't hear anything, find out who the district NCOIC is and give them a buzz.

Be forewarned, however.....once you put your hand in the air, you are IMMEDIATELY on active duty, and you should be ready to report to your next duty station, allowing for travel time. There is no waiting, you just go. Keep that in mind.

Lastly, I got so tired being hosed around by my PSR I'm working on going into the Air Guard. They have been fast and efficient thus far, and I'm only about a week into the process.

Another thing that you have to take in account for is that you just don't come back into the Marine Corps as your original MOS. You have to submit 3 MOS choices, then you have to do the same for duty station. It is a long process, but if you find a PSR/Active recruiter, see them in person. In addition, if you have to find the NCOIC, look on the internet for the closet recruiting station, it usually lists the disrict headquarters and the the SNOCIC.

Good Luck.

Thanks SSgt, I did forget to mention that part of the process. When I went through this in '97 going back on active duty, I had to do that as well. And, the Corps (being the Corps LOL) then TOLD me which MOS I could go back into (it wasn't one of my picks) and basically said "Take it or leave it". I took it

My issues this time could be because I was looking to get back into the reserves vice active duty, but who knows. Good luck whichever way you decide to go!

going into the reserves allows you to get an MOS change as a sign up bonus. Not all reserve stations rate your MOS but the Corps will take you because of your expertise. They will just retrain you. I know about 5 reservists who did this... however I opted out since they rated my MOS.

as for getting back in... well I'm slowly working on that.

Quick question, I just started the process yesterday to get back in on active duty and am working with the Station Commander here and he said it will take a little while for my packet since I originally got out with a RE Code 3O. I served a tour with the Army Reserves in Afghanistan and received a DD214 with them that he said should take care of the first one. I was just wondering if anyone had a good idea of the time frame I am looking at here. And trust me when I say I a ready to go. My wife is even ready for me to go.

unfortunately the Marine Corps closed down all PSEPers until october 1st where you will have to compete for a boat space. The Corps though numerically larger has gotten a lot tighter.... your last DD214 is what they will use, if it's mobilized army reserves (as you wouldn't have gotten a dd214 any other way) then your re enlistment code from that trumps your older one.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will just keep at it here until then.

well, I'm sure they started your process because it'll take a while to get your status changed...

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=78160

go here and NoRemorse will help you with your re enlistment code changes as he's that threads resident on those things.

these other threads are redundant as most of these questions are answered in this thread... more specific questions can be asked in there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead-0311 View Post
    I got out of the marine corps in july of 03 as a cpl. with the mos 0311 RE-ENTRY CODE OF RE-1A...no real reason for getting out but wanting to try out civilian life....I graduated the police academy and passed the state test for law enforcement I am almost done with the hiring process for the sheriff's dept...But it has not filled the void I miss the corps...so after alot of disccusions with my wife she has agreed to let me go back to the marines........Two thursdays ago I spoke with the recruiting office in my town were I 1st. joined ,the staff sgt. told me to come by the office that friday and he would get my paper work going so I could go to meps. I went that firday an he made copies of my dd-214 forms, marriage certificate, ect. ect. ect. He then told me that he would call me the next monday but he never did call I did not hear from him on tuesday either so I gave him call on wendsday he apologized for not calling me and said the office was a mad house ..He told me to go by the office the next day at 1500 which I did and to my surprise he was not there and the offices were closed !!!...I gave the staff sgt. a call and left him a message telling him that I know he probablly got cought up doing something and to give me a call back so we could get my paperwork done so i could go to meps .....It's allready monday and i have not heard from him....I went to the marine corps website and got the number for the closest prior service recruiter which is in a city about 1 hr. away...My question is should i forget about the staff sgt. and go ahead and call the psr ???....i fell like he does not want to deal with the extra paper work for a prior service marine and waivers he said I would need one because i have 4 dependents including myself...anyway any advice and suggestions welcomed I just want the fastest way back to the Corps!!!

PSR is who you should be speaking to.

I got out of the Corps last August as a Cpl. Now I'm trying to go back in. The recruiter in my town said that I may loose a rank going back in. Why is this? How likely is it? And what does it depend on?
    One of my old Sgts that I still keep in touch with got out as a Cpl and stayed out for 4 years. When he came back in he still came back in as a Cpl. He said there was an order in 2003 preventing you from loosing rank when you come back in.
    Any help or advice on this?

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    No Profile?? WTF??....DOC

I just got on here today. Haven't figured out the profile thing yet.

no you won't lose rank, go talk to another recruiter.

Thread Information