Burial in military uniform requires planning ahead
Create Post
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Exclamation Burial in military uniform requires planning ahead

    U.S. Military (Ret.)
    Burial in military uniform requires planning ahead
    By Alex Keenan - Special to the Times
    Posted : August 06, 2007

    For many retirees, being buried in their military uniform is seen as a time-honored tradition. The military uniform is a representation of a proud and honorable profession.

    Of course, those who wish to be buried in their uniforms will want to ensure they have all the proper accoutrements.

    I often get questions from retirees and their families about how to replace their service medals and decorations they earned but that have somehow become misplaced.

    I’ve heard stories about a retiree who passes away and whose family wants to fulfill his burial wishes, but realize they can’t find the uniform, medals or other items to make the late retiree’s wishes a reality.

    This is the kind of situation in which a little pre-planning goes a long way.

    It’s not an exaggeration to say that those who wore the military uniform day in and day out for a career have a moral obligation to uphold the dignity of their service by maintaining their uniform in good order and wearing it correctly, even to the day that the uniform is hung up for the final time.

    Like most retirees, I have my uniform stored away with my medals and ribbons attached.

    The only other community I know that lives this tradition is the law enforcement community, whose proud retirees also often choose to be buried in their uniforms.

    The original issue of all decorations and service medals is made without cost to the retiree. However, replacing medals and decorations is at the cost to the family, unless the retiree earned a commendation that for some reason has not yet been received. In such cases, the government will issue one free of cost.

    Retirees who have lost medals or decorations, or never received ones they earned, may request them at any time. The request for replacement awards should include an explanation of the circumstances.

    Your requests should be directed to your particular service branch office at the National Personnel Records Center.

    Write to:

    • Air Force: National Personnel Records Center (Air Force Reference Branch), 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100.

    • Army: National Personnel Records Center Medals Section (NRPMA-M), AR-Perscom, ATTN: DARP-PAS-EAW, 1 Reserve Way, St. Louis, MO 63132-5200.

    • Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard: Bureau of Naval Personnel Liaison Office, (N314) Room 5409, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5199.

    For more information, call the National Personnel Records Center at (314) 801-0800 weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Central time, or go online to www.archives.gov/st-louis...ions.html.
    Note to readers

    I continue to receive a steady stream of questions about Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) and Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC). Admittedly, these programs can be complex and confusing.

    The Defense Department has set up a Web site with background information on these two important programs for retirees at www.defenselink.mil/prhome/mppcrsc.html.

    Each service also maintains its own online resources specifically addressing the nuts and bolts of CRSC:

    • Army retirees should go to /www.hrc.army.mil/site/crsc/index.html.

    • Air Force retirees should go to ask.afpc.randolph.af.mil/crsc.

    • Navy and Marine Corps retirees should go to www.donhq.navy.mil/corb/C...lated.htm.

    Alex Keenan is a retired command master chief petty officer who served 28 years in the Coast Guard. E-mail him at retired@atpco.com.


  2. #2


    Question? My father is retired Navy/Air Force. and he would like a Marine Honor Guard at his funeral. As the father of a Former Marine do you know if this is possiable?

  3. #3
    My father was a medic at Iwo and was Navy and attached to the Marine Corps, When he passed we asked for a Marine Honor Guard at the funeral home when we made arrangements for his funeral. It was the most honorable funeral detail I had ever seen in my life.. Check with the funeral director he is the one that can get the arrangements worked out....

  4. #4
    I would certainly like to be buried in uniform, but there's no way I could fit in it again. I would also like a Marine Honor Guard at my funeral - I didn't know it was possible.

  5. #5
    Corpsman Free Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    New Port Richey
    FYI, called the VA in St. Pete and asked about my funeral/death benefits....was told that because I'm 100% disabled, combat vet, the VA would pay for my creamation, and see that my ashes are placed in one of the memorial "walls" at Bay Pines National Cemetery. National Creamation Society said that was correct, and for a "small" donation, a Vet's group, AKA: VFW, American Legion...would arrange a FULL service "send-off". I'll check with the local VFW, and see what the scoop is......more to follow....
    SEMPER FI....Doc Greek....

  6. #6
    When my Dad (WW2 Marine...Semper Fi Dad) passed, he had pre-selected to be buried in the Veterans Gardens in Dallas, TX. After the church service, the funeral procession drove to the Gardens where we were met by a military escort (2 Marines and 1 Sailor). The casket was covered with our Flag and the Marines (in full dress blues) saluted while taps was played by the Sailor. The Marines folded the Flag and presented it to my Mother with thanks from a grateful nation. We were then dismissed and told if we return in a few days, we will be give a map to locate my Dad. The marker has his information on front and on the back will have my Mom's information when she passes since spouses can buried at the Veterans Gardens.

    The only thing I can tell you concerning burial benefits is to goto http://www.cem.va.gov/bbene_burial.asp and read.

  7. #7

  8. #8
    ROFLMAO. Yeah it sounds easy but I have spent 5 years trying to get my Korean Service Medal and still don't have it seems that no one in the Marine Corps or DOD hasconcise records that my unit was ever in Korea.

  9. #9
    Do they bring that disgusting disrespectful plastic bugle looking C.D. player with them or is that yet another request.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts