The Beginning - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Beginning

Dan, I posted this on another thread as the, "you're too smart for the Marines" bit came up with Kegs.

Tell anyone thats says that you're too smart for the Marines, (and I'm sure you're smart or you wouldn't be allowed in the Corps), that these folks didn't think they were too smart to be US Marines. Actors and such are in the link, I just didn't post their names here.

Joe Acaba NASA astronaut

James Baker, Former Secretary of State

Leslie Baker, Chairman of the Board of Wachovia Bank.

John Corzine, Gov of New Jersey

John Glenn, astronaut, first American to orbit Earth, oldest man in space, U.S. Senator

Robert Lutz, Chairman of the Board of Chrysler

Steven Taylor, Oklahoma Supreme Court justice

The list goes on, current and former, Astronauts, Congressmen, CEO's...athletes, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_U.S._Marines

When I was enlisting there were many people that told me I was too smart for the Marines. Since I have gotten out I have been told many times that I was too smart to join the Marines. Funny thing is, the people saying it have no idea what they're talking about. Marines and the enemy are the only people that will ever understand the Marine Corps. So, unless we tell you that you're too smart for the Marines or bin Laden shows up here and tells you that you're too smart to be a Marine, don't worry about it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by jells08
    It sucks that you guys are having people question and doubt you own decisions. I am fortunate enough to have all my family and friends behind me all the way, most of them call me crazy but thats eather way. Don't let anybody hold you back, not even your peciouse girlfriend. If shes the one she'll be there at graduation with tears of joy.
    well the true test is if shell be there after you come back from overseas or a deployment. and if your lucky will cook you a meal give a ya good round in the bedroom and let you go hang with your buddies to drink for the first time coming from a dry zone.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If you can find a girl that well give you all that then you need to praising your lucky stars for such a rare gem.

I have the same problem with people critizing me for my decision. I just ignore them and only pay attention to the support from other Marines, close friends and most of all my family.

And as for the girlfriend, a piece of advice I got is letting a girl hold you back from what you want to do will just lead to a world of regret and "What If's. . ."

So just keep looking forward; and it seems we have similar plans in mind when it comes to going the "Mustang" route.

Hey i thought I would give every one a heads up on how I'm doing, I picked my 3 jobs Intel, NBC, And Security Forces. my GT was 114 so i qualify for them all. so i hope I get intel because my goal is to become a part of the (HET) CI team. Also i am very close to getting my 2 referrals, and i mean very close. and also i was made squad leader my RSS we have about 40 poolee's 1 guide and 2 squad leaders. Well thats about it for now see you all around.
    -Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt D
    You could easily do 2 of the 3 in one shot. Your easiest route would be to go for either one of the Security Forces billets, then after your tour take the Recon screening.
    They recently got rid of the screening to get into Recon. Apperently they're trying to 'up' Recon's numbers so they did away with the screening. Personally I think it's stupid but what do I know...

Quote Originally Posted by Danman
    Hey i thought I would give every one a heads up on how I'm doing, I picked my 3 jobs Intel, NBC, And Security Forces. my GT was 114 so i qualify for them all. so i hope I get intel because my goal is to become a part of the (HET) CI team. Also i am very close to getting my 2 referrals, and i mean very close. and also i was made squad leader my RSS we have about 40 poolee's 1 guide and 2 squad leaders. Well thats about it for now see you all around.
    -Dan
    Congrats on the ASVAB scores etc. Just know that in order to go into CI you need to make a lateral move into it. You won't be able to start out in CI right off the bat. It takes time but if you want to do it go for it...it's the same thing that I'm going for. I know this is really early to tell you about this but if you make it through boot camp and all your training and get to the fleet I would highly suggest starting to look at college. A certain one in particular...AMU (American Military University)...it's the only college that I know of where you can get degrees in subjects related to the military. I just started working on my bachelor's degree in intelligence and I'm also working on a bachelor's degree in psychology. Like I said I know it's really early and all but it's something to have in the back of your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by marinepooly1361
    As a new enlistee, I am sick and tired of people telling me that the Marines is the wrong choice. My original plan was to also go to college, get a degree, then a good job, and settle down. But that life sucks. Right now I hate my job, Michigan sucks ***, and I dont want to go to college right away.

I've signed up for MOS 1361, engineering assistant and will hopefully be able to work on the rebuilding of the cities overseas. What the Marines have engineers? Thats usually the response I get from people.

Anyone else happen to be in the 1300's? I havent met many peeple that are.

DON"T OVERRIDE THE CENSOR>>>

Ellie

hey im going in as 1345 heavy equipment operator!!!

Covey Rider, doing a lat move was my plan i was going to go 0200 basic intel then when im a cpl take the lat move. I'm also looking into going to collage to im not leaving that out but i just have to take it one step at a time.
    -Dan
    p.s. good luck with your CI and collage goals.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Just a friendly reminder...unless you are going to art school, you will be going to college, not collage...

p.s. I was an English Major in college...can't help myself!

lol...im lovin this.....i know i do not have the best spelling or grammar, by any means. but gotta love having a mother around to help straighten up the poolees....

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    That's what Moms are for now...aren't they? We call you out!!

I love being a Mom! I hope I didn't overstep my bounds though.

hey i dont mind it any....

Thread Information