PFT Revelation
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PFT Revelation

PFT Revelation

I feel incredibly silly, but I just found out after 2 months of training for the PFT that you can do pull ups pronated or supinated.

I have been doing them pronated (palms facing away) 5 days a week for 2 months. As most of you know, this is way more difficult and I was worried I wouldn't get to twenty before I ship. In the long run, I guess this is a good thing, but man does everything seem a whole lot better with this info!

I've heard that for every pronated pull up you can do, you can do 2 times as many supinated.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyRina
    I've heard that for every pronated pull up you can do, you can do 2 times as many supinated.
    Depends, its all based on where you have the most muscle pronated uses a lot of shoulders and back while supinated uses biceps shoulders and chest. It also depends on how much you practice them too.

Moto...you can also switch your grip while on the bar, sometimes I switch from supinated to pronated and with using the different muscle groups I can pump out 1 or 2 more.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You can do palms towards or away from you or one hand each way if that is what works as long as you stay on the bar. You can also switch as long as you stay on the bar.

Ya, I really don't know why I thought this but I just went over the PFT literature and almost spit my lemonade all over the monitor when I read it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Kitty - if you can do pull ups, good for you; however, unless it's changed, you will have to do a flexed arm hang as part of your PFTs. Try it and get back with me.

Yeah, I was worried about that on my PFT until I found out too. It tripled my pullup count, since all my muscle is in my chest anyway.

Yes the females still to the flex arm hang. I also was pretty sure the PI website stated that doing the pullups you can either do the face in or face out palms, not mixed.

The PI website is down so I can't post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    Kitty - if you can do pull ups, good for you; however, unless it's changed, you will have to do a flexed arm hang as part of your PFTs. Try it and get back with me.
    haha.. You're funny... me... hang? let me send you a message... wow

I have been doing them palms facing me for a while but just today I tried palms facing away and strangely I found them much easier.

Yea Mike, depends on if you're stronger in your biceps or if you have more delt/upper back strength....I was a bicep guy.

Kitty, you know how a flex arm hang works? Here is the link I was talking about in my prior post.

http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/recruiting/rt_prep.htm

I do them both ways in 3 different widths each. I start by doing close grip palms in, then slide out a little farther, then go wide as possible, and then switch grips and move back in. I personally do 3 each way, so 18 total but if you're not that high up, do 1 or 2

Quote Originally Posted by MikE90
    I have been doing them palms facing me for a while but just today I tried palms facing away and strangely I found them much easier.
    this is because your bicep is usually significantly bigger than your triceps.

with palms out it involves more muscles becomes more of a shoulder, lats, delts, and tricep workout.

Actually your bicep as a whole is smaller than your tricep....bi is two muscles and tri is three.

Quote Originally Posted by marinepooly1361
    this is because your bicep is usually significantly bigger than your triceps.

with palms out it involves more muscles becomes more of a shoulder, lats, delts, and tricep workout.
    Actually the bicep is a relativley small muscle...the tricep has the potential to be much larger. Bicep is two and tricep is three, obviously. Will do a serach on it but I know this is a fact, you just notice the bicep more, thatsa all.

Thread Information