Running Maps
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Maps

Running Maps

I don't know if anyone else has used this site, but I have been using it for about a year now. It is sort of like mapquest, but you make running routes based on the map of where you want to run, or did run. It is relatively accurate on distance and is able to calculate your pace per mile, log your runs, and provides many different things that you cannot find on other sites. I just figured I would share it with everyone. It is free to use and very simple. If you have any questions on how to use it I may be able to answer some questions.

www.runthere.com

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bgsuwoody
    I don't know if anyone else has used this site, but I have been using it for about a year now. It is sort of like mapquest, but you make running routes based on the map of where you want to run, or did run. It is relatively accurate on distance and is able to calculate your pace per mile, log your runs, and provides many different things that you cannot find on other sites. I just figured I would share it with everyone. It is free to use and very simple. If you have any questions on how to use it I may be able to answer some questions.

www.runthere.com
    Honey - I'm not trying to be mean or anything but...................have you got WAY too much time on your hands? Are there not more women where you live or something? Sorry, but that's the ONLY way I could see sitting down and taking the time to map out where I'm going to run. Now, if you're in the woods somewhere..................maybe.

You know...............they'll teach you how to do that $h!t with a compass!

Its fast, its helpful for timing, but its hard to explain if you don't go there.

And believe me summer in a college town is full of women...That's why I spend all my free time at the quarry, the volleyball courts, or the bars

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    the quarry?

Just keep Lil Woody covered up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    the quarry?

Just keep Lil Woody covered up.
    The quarry...yes, as an Ohioan we don't have beaches so the next best thing is the quarry or Put in Bay, but thats expensive and far away so...we go there. Swimming, hot girls in revealing clothing, and drunkenness...I don't know if I would rather go there or the beach really.

And lil Woody plays it safe

Holy crap! I just got a satellite image of my house from that map thing.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Holy catfish I could see a rock in bigness computer chair at his house. I mean a pebble in his driveway. No it was a poor little robin egg fell out of the nest behind the garage. Help biggness help

This is a really nice tool, but across the street is the back woods of Ft. Benning and plenty of bobcats, snakes, dear, and wild boars to chase me around out here.

Kinda got freaked once when a boar came at me from behind. Ran like hell, damn SOB caught me, but thank god I have a pitbull and she saved me from getting my ass bit.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Wow, this is awesome. Thanks very much for this helpful application. Now I can finally get the exact distances of new courses I plan to run without driving my car around them. I can also log runs and keep track of them. Very helpful!

There are a sh1t load of trees around my house you can't see jack.

These satellite images will come in handy for paintball. I can find where we are gonna play and print the maps. Then me and my team can draw up ambush points and stuff like that by how the land lays out.

I use a Garmin to keep track of my distance, but this is a pretty cool site.

[quote=bgsuwoody It is sort of like mapquest, but you make running routes based on the map of where you want to run, or did run. It is relatively accurate on distance and is able to calculate your pace per mile[/quote]Learning to accurately judge distance and time covered is a valueable tool for a Marine or anybody who kicks around in the boonies.

The civilian sport of orienteering takes this further and is very similar to the brief map and compass course you may still have to navigate in grunt training. Its a physical and mental challenge and once you get good at it the feeling of accomplishment gives one confidence, and that is addicting. To prepare for the miliitary, USGS "topo" maps work using the metric scale and a lensatic compass. i converted to using feet and a base plate compass which has a built in protractor and other usefull features. With these tools all i need are landmarks, magnetic declination adjustment and a sharp pencil to fix a position within a few paces, depending on the scale of map. It feels good using "old school" skills and 20 dollars worth of caveman tools too occasionaly out perform GPS recievers for accuracy in open areas and often in canyons and forest canopy where satellite signals are disturbed. When contemplating how to write in outer space NASA paid some million dollars to get hold of the anti-gravity pen. The USSR faced with the same predicament used pencils.

Land Navigation is also cross training for life. Here stands you, and if you have a plan?...somewhere out there is your destination. To reduce areas of probability you create what Marines on patrol call "checkpoints" short term goals towards your final destination, when one of these is reached you can feed, celebrate, regroup and if need be reassess your next checkpoint or your final goal, you may want to re-route or change your final destination if life or the terrain is kicking your ass, no shame.

Without checkpoints areas of probability become vast, lateral drift may have occured followed by feeling disoriented. Confused and discouraged your on your way to being lost, what a dismal word, lost. But because you did not have checkpoints you got overwhelmed, your final destination may be within grasp but for all you know its a million clicks away.
    A Marine with superior map and compass skills will always be an asset to his/her unit augmenting or when technology fails. I can keep a Topo map dry in a sandwhich bag but i cant guarantee a GPS reciever wont tweek or take a dunking in the creek or bust on a rock.

--->Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    T.M I. Just run till I drop. And,84, be cool.... Bugs is a new friend of mine. ;}

Thread Information