USMC Combat Action Ribbon Criteria - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    yeah, I just want the Marine Corps to tell me yes or no.

Thanks again.

I understand this award is coveted after receipt, but never wanted up front.

I am treading lightly.

And I fully understand, on both counts. If I could help I would but I confess, I've never seen a writeup for a CAR.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerMSG View Post
    Hey Marines,

I am looking for some examples of write-ups for a CAR.

For who you say?-Me and other Marines of American Embassy Brazzaville.

We were under fire for 2 weeks (Arty, small arms, RPG's) and we employed tear gas to keep the bad guys away.

We did not get put in for a CAR because, well, it was a different time in 1997-a different Corps.

Rules: SECNAV 1650.1H (August 22nd 2006)

(2) The principal eligibility criterion is,
    regardless of military occupational specialty or rating, the
    individual must have rendered satisfactory performance under
    enemy fire while actively participating in a ground or surface
    engagement.

We were in a ground engagement for 2 weeks, keeping them out, keeping watch over our positions.

The Marine Corps does not deny I was under fire. My NAM from the action has an opening line of:

"While under small arms fire".

I have gathered the logbook entries detailing the action and have uncovered some Special Operations periodicals that detail the actions from the point of view of joint Special Forces Team that assisted us.

This CAR would have to go to under Secretary of the Navyfor approval so the bar is extremely high.

I have to write it up, but I am looking for some help-not to inflate the action, but to get a start. I have to write up a narrative, but do not know how to open.

This is will not be some cheesy CAR submission.

Like I said, the bar of approval is high.

I just want the Marine Corps to tell me "NOPE", not an internet forum of Marines.

Thanks for all of your help.
    Did you return fire? I shouldn't see it being a problem getting one but from my understanding from Iraq as my Co Cmdr said we had to receive fire and return it accurately.

For: Superior performance of duty while serving as squad leader and vehicle commander, first section, combined anti-armor team on, anti0terrorism battalion, 2d Marine Div, II Marine expeditionary force from aug 2005 - may 2006. While serving as a squad leader in CAAT I, Corporal Butler was responsible for the training and welfare of two four-man vehicle crews, the maintenance and tactical employment of two m114 up-armored HMMWV'S, and the maintenance and accountability of the squads weapons and equipment. On 3 Dec 2005 Corporal butler skillfully employed his squad in a ambush against anti-iraqi forces in the town of udhaim. With the constant danger of loss of life or personal injury Corporal Butler employed his squad against the enemy. Moving his squad out of danger and redirecting them to the flanks reengaging and destroying the anti-iraqi forces. Though this was his first combat action, he remind calm during the ambush directed at his himself and his Marines, setting a positive example for the Marines in his squad. His tactical proficiency, effectiveness under stress, and strict discipline were instrumental in the successful repulse of the anti-iraqi forces and the safe return of his squad. Corporal Butlers professionalism and dedication to duty reflected great credit upon himself and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval services.

This was my cercom for an ambush, its not a write up for a car, but it is what it should be like. But more detailing the combat itself. If you got anything that says you were under fire, and returned it that should be acceptable. I know there is some sh!t to do with the campaign you were involved in that also is criteria for a CAR too. Not sure, but this was the first of many firefights over there but this is what got me mine. GL buddy!

Thanks Marine...it is a start. Thanks for your service.

I am going to use the following basic template for submission:

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages...s00all570.aspx

POC/MRS. MCKINNON/GS08/CMC MMMA/DSN 278-9340/TEL: (703) 784-9340/
    RMKS/1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS MARADMIN IS TO DISSEMINATE INSTRUCTIONS
    FOR COMMANDERS AND ADMINISTRATORS TO PROVIDE MARINES WHO FEEL
    THEY MAY BE ENTITLED TO THE COMBAT ACTION RIBBON (CAR) BASED ON THE
    NEW STANDARDS. REF A ANNOUNCED AN ADDITIONAL SET OF STANDARDS FOR
    THE CAR.

2. THE STEPS THAT MARINES OR FORMER MARINES NEED TO FOLLOW IN ORDER
    TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE CAR ENTITLEMENT ARE OUTLINED BELOW. FAILURE
    TO FOLLOW THESE STEPS WILL RESULT IN THE REQUEST BEING RETURNED TO
    THE PETITIONER WITHOUT ACTION.

A. MARINES WHO FEEL THEY MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE CAR UNDER THE
    CRITERIA OUTLINED IN REF A MUST SUMMARIZE THEIR ACTIONS IN A
    BRIEF SYNOPSIS. THIS SYNOPSIS MUST INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
    (1) OUTLINE THE OPERATION THEY WERE PARTICIPATING IN AND THE
    LOCATION OF SAID OPERATION.
    (2) DESCRIBE THE EVENT WHERE THEY WERE FIRED AT WITH DIRECT FIRE
    WEAPONS (PISTOL, RIFLES, MACHINE GUNS).
    (3) DESCRIBE HOW THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA OUTLINED IN REF A WERE MET.
    (4) ALL PETITIONS MUST INCLUDE A RETURN MAILING ADDRESS.

B. REQUESTS MUST BE SUBMITTED VIA THE COMMANDING OFFICER UNDER
    WHOSE COMMAND THEY SERVED DURING THE OPERATION (COMPANY LEVEL COMMAND
    OR ABOVE) FOR CERTIFICATION THAT THE CIRCUMSTANCES DESCRIBED BY THE
    PETITIONER ARE A TRUE AND ACCURATE DESCRIPTION OF THE EVENTS THAT
    TRANSPIRED. THE OFFICER ENDORSING THE REQUEST WILL THEN FORWARD
    THE REQUEST WITH HIS ENDORSEMENT TO:
    HEADQUARTERS, U.S. MARINE CORPS
    3280 RUSSELL ROAD (ATTN: MMMA)
    QUANTICO, VA 22134-5103

Mine wasn't peacekeeping but this format should fit the bill.

good to go brother, sounds like a plan. Good Luck!

Credits
    Savings
    Where can I find logs from 1972 for the Danang Vietnam area during the Easter Offensive?

"Logs"? You'll have to be more specific.

There is one pay site that has pretty much ALL the USMC records from Vietnam but it's not cheap by any means, and I don't know how searchable it is.

What, exactly are you looking for?

Well,Mr MSG it looks like this template only applies to the newer marines,not the old salt's like me that were in nam in 66-67.My commanding officer from that time is probably 6 ft. under by now.I have marines at my post now that were not 0311,but were in combat support units dodgeing bullets like you guy's.No CAR for them.You young marine's be sure to keep track of all your awards,medal,and ribbons.Make sure that every thing is documented in your 214.

Ignacio Castilleja
    Vietnam 66-67
    Semper Fi

So being that was with 2LAAM BN when I was deployed to desert storm/shield from August 90 to February 91 do I rate the CAR? National Defense Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon(W/1*), Southwest Asia Service Medal(W/2*), Kuwait Liberation Medal, Navy Unit Commendation are the ones that I received from after desert storm/shield.

CAR is an individual award, not a unit award. If you took, and returned, "fire", then you would rate it.

If you were in a year or so after your deployment, and didn't get it then, unlikely you would rate it now. If you got out as soon as you got home, then it's possible you were rec'd but didn't receive it.

So being that was with 2LAAM BN when I was deployed to desert storm/shield from August 90 to February 91 do I rate the CAR? National Defense Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon(W/1*), Southwest Asia Service Medal(W/2*), Kuwait Liberation Medal, Navy Unit Commendation are the ones that I received from after desert storm/shield.

If you're looking for weather or not you rate a C.A.R. try checking out the MarAdmins at www.usmc.mil

They are a great source for determining what you rate. Or you can try logging in to Marine Online at mol.usmc.mil. You can view your awards from your Basic Individual Record.

0351 thank you brother for the info...

Thread Information