Fire teams
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire teams

Fire teams

Hopefully it hasn't been asked before, because I did do a search (here and on google) and couldn't find the information I was looking for.

How are fire team positions decided?

How are designated marksman chosen?

mmmmm. 7.62....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Let's work this out. How do YOU think this is done?

Seniority decides fire team positions for the most part. You're going to be a rifleman or a-gunner when you get there. As you pick up seniority you'll be a SAW gunner or team leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36
    Let's work this out. How do YOU think this is done?
    "You do this. Now. MOVE!"

Thats how I imagine it sounding anyways.

Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    Seniority decides fire team positions for the most part. You're going to be a rifleman or a-gunner when you get there. As you pick up seniority you'll be a SAW gunner or team leader.
    4B... Though you are technically right, you can bet your ass that as the bootest Marine in the team you will have the SAW, and for good reason. The SAW is an artform that requires time behind the gun, and you will have the most time to learn. Once you have done your time and deployed with the SAW, you will be quallified to teach your boots how to be a SAW gunner.

As you progress in your career, having been a SAW gunner is a badge of honor. Allways remember that the SAW is the most important weapon in the team/squad, and youre the one behind it.

As far as team leader billets, you can bet that every CPL/senior Lcpl will have thier shot at Team leader before you. A fire team leader should know how to run a squad, and a Boot fresh from SOI just couldnt do that.

One more thing. Squad DMs carry M16s... so you can forget the 7.62

Really?

Hmm. I've seen pictures of the match grade M-16's assigned to DM's but I was under the impression that they mostly used match grade M14's.

THanks again for all of the information.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Match grade weapons are so precisely machined that even bumping one on the door jamb while exiting the armory will require a check by a gunsmith. They are not designed to be carried in combat. Not only that but they fire match grade ammo carefully tailored to be fired out of that specific weapon.

You want to be a DM become an 0311... you want to be a fireteam leader become a Corporal.

Well I guess it depends on what type of DM you're talking about. DM's in the fire team squad infantry level (most of the infantry guys in the fleet) carry all kinds of variations of the M-16, think of more fire power, more reliable, and better suited for a squad infantry level. DM's used by FAST company and Marine Security Forces use the modified M-14 or as it's called now the DMR. Think precision. The M-14 or DMR is a great weapon, but it's not very well suited for today's urban infantry mission. But they're great from the tops of buildings, or from other fixed shooting positions.

And infantry fire team DM's are usually picked from the rifle experts in a platoon. Same thing with security forces or FAST, but the difference is they have to go DM school to perform the job.

Team or Squad leaders are not always chosen by seniority, theres always the "having your feces together" thats factored in

Match grade weapons are so precisely machined that even bumping one on the door jamb while exiting the armory will require a check by a gunsmith. They are not designed to be carried in combat. Not only that but they fire match grade ammo carefully tailored to be fired out of that specific weapon.

Very good point Bulkyker, but one interesting note. Back in the day someone ran over a DMR with a commercial grade deuce in-a-half, while it was in the gun bag on the deck at the armory at Dam Neck Rifle Range, where DM school is. We took it out of the bag and it appeared to be fine, scope was fine, so we had the armorer give it a look over and then off to the 100yd line we went. We put the shooter who the rifle belonged to behind the weapon and gave him three rounds to fire off. He was off left about 2 MOA from his previous cold bore zero, but the group was tight, about 1-2 MOA which is about the best that system does. But I also saw DMR's that would cold bore one day dead center and the very next day, without messing with the gas system or anything, they would be in the birm. No BS. I read that they tweaked it a bit recently but the gas system with those M-14's in general isn't the best system for precision.

Ah, I get it. I didn't realize there was a DM school (unless we are refering to the same school as the scout sniper program) or seperations in types of DM's.

DM's have always interested me because I've been shooting for many years, and find a squad level "sniper" an interesting part of modern fire teams.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hopefully things have not changed so much that shooting matches are no longer held with iron sights. Maybe the scope was on an M-40? If a scope is an advantage then I'm all for it it.

No DM school is not Marine Scout Sniper School. Two very big differences. And a DM in a fire team isn't the same as a DM for MCSF. MCSF DM's are snipers but they typically only operate in an urban environment as part of a crisis response team for Marine Security Forces and or FAST company. Marine Scout Snipers are trained much better, much longer, with much better equipment (especially the rifle they use,) and for a different mission all together. They have similarities but they are very different.

Ok, thats what I thought you meant. Thanks for clarifying.

Thread Information