United States Marine Corps
Press Release
Public Affairs Office
; Kirk Bauer

kbauer@dsusa.org

Release # 0720-07-0715
Wounded Warrior Sets New World Record in Shotput
July 13, 2007

ROCKVILLE, Md. -- Wounded Warrior Scott Winkler, Grovetown, Ga., set a new world record in the men's F54 shot put (wheelchair division), with a throw of 10.01m at the 2007 U.S. Paralympics Track & Field National Championships held in Marietta, Ga., June 30 - July 2. His throw officially broke the previous world record of 9.76m and as a result, Winkler becomes the first severely injured veteran from the Iraq war to qualify for the U.S. Paralympics Track & Field National Team and the 2008 Beijing Paralympics.

"I just want to do my best," said Winkler. "I believed and achieved my goals. If you believe, you can do anything you want, and my end goal is to get to Beijing next year and win a medal."

Winkler, who sustained a spinal cord injury in 2003 while serving in the U.S. Army in Iraq, is a participant in the Wounded Warrior Disabled Sports Project, a partnership program between Disabled Sports USA and the Wounded Warrior Project that provides year-round sports programs for severely wounded service members from the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts and the Global War on Terrorism. Winkler also participates in DS/USA's Youth Sports Mentoring Program where he works with young wheelchair athlete Josh Ruoff.

"Scott is an outstanding example of the tremendous talent and motivation our Wounded Warriors possess," said Executive Director of Disabled Sports USA and disabled Vietnam War Veteran Kirk Bauer, JD. "Scott's achievement demonstrates how much these fine young men and women can attain with the help of such programs as the Wounded Warrior Disabled Sports Project, providing sports rehabilitation and development; and the U.S. Paralympics providing training and opportunities for elite competition."

The Wounded Warrior Disabled Sports Project provides sports rehabilitation programs for severely wounded service members rehabilitating at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C.; Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas; Balboa Naval Medical Center in San Diego, Calif.; and Veterans Hospitals in Tampa, Fla., and Palo Alto, Calif. Wounded Warriors discharged from the military also have the opportunity to continue to participate at DS/USA national and chapter programs throughout the United States, so they can maintain an active sports life. All services are provided free of charge to the Wounded Warrior and his or her family members.

In addition to Wounded Warrior Project, sponsors include National Corporate Partner AIG Insurance, The Chart Group, Ariel Corporation, Science Applications International Corp., Moore Capital Management, Cushman & Wakefield, Trijicon, Non Commissioned Officers Association, Marine Corps Celebrity Classic, Robert Trent Jones Golf Club Charitable Foundation, General Dynamics, Battelle, SeaMobile, and others.

About the Wounded Warrior Project

The Wounded Warrior Project is a non-profit organization aimed at assisting those men and women of the United States armed forces who have been severely injured during the war on terrorism in Iraq, Afghanistan and other hot spots around the world. Beginning at the bedside of the severely wounded, WWP provides programs and services designated to ease the burdens of these heroes and their families, aid in the recovery process and smooth the transition back to civilian life. For more information, please call (904) 296-7350 or visit

Ellie