Did you have any doubts about joining the Marines?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did you have any doubts about joining the Marines?

Before you joined did you have 2nd thoughts about joining, or did you always know it was right for you?

edit: and how old were you when you joined?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    HELL YEAH! Until about 1/2 way through bootcamp when I realized EXACTLY what it was that they were looking for from me. No regrets since then................

^ what changed halfway through bootcamp for you?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's something that we can't explain to folks that haven't done it and have them understand it. Going through Marine Corps bootcamp changes you in a way that you won't understand until you do it yourself.

I can't really say when the proverbial light bulb went off over my head was brought on by any particular thing happening. Just one day it hit me and it was easy from then on. Kind of like a child learning something - you're good, you get rewarded - you're bad, you get no reward. I was good and I got my reward!

There have been commercials made about the "transformation." It is a very real experience and only can be truly understood by those who have gone through it.

I didn't have DEP time to doubt anything. I just signed up and was shipped a few days later.
    I was 17 yrs and 4 months old.

And yes, I got the cake at my first Ball. ; )

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I never got to go to the ball

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I feel what changes is 'team'. When you know you are a part, and you count for something, and you see your buddy could never let you down. Nor could you do it to him. Thats Marine. But still, you had to be there, I can't give you that.

I was 17

Sure I think everyone had 2nd thoughts about joining the Corps. I explored all my options (Army,Air Force) but I wanted to prove something to mself so I joined the Corps. No more 2nd thoughts once I stepped up to the plate and enlisted. However.......had lots of 2nd thoughts once I got into boot camp! After boot....never looked back. It was right for me and I was damn glad I passed the test.

Hell yeah I had doubts. The first black Friday sucked, but I was like 'eh, whatever.' But once the 2nd black Friday came (the first day of second phase when we bussed out to Pendleton)...holy crap. That was by far the hardest and most exhausting day I've ever lived. I was like, "God damn. I gotta put the **** out if I'm getting through today."

I think that was the first day i TRULY gave all that I had. Woke up the next day and I was damn motivated. It was easy after that.

18 years old at the time.

whats Black Friday?

You'll find out. Do yourself a favor and not ask about it or look it up =p

haha alright

haha, let's just say black Friday is a terrible day. as the name implies. if you're gonna be joinin' i don't want to ruin the fun :-p

looking back at bootcamp, would you guys consider it one of the best times of your lives? My recruiter tells me when your at bootcamp you hate it, but after you are done you realize how much fun you had

Thread Information