Who's your favorite President?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Who's your favorite President?

Mine was Nixon, 'cause he had the b***s to bring us home. Actually It shall always be Regan, But I hold a special place for Nixon, and I was priveleged to set up his PA system when he welcomed home the !st, MAR. DIV. I was so close I coulda pulled on his sleeve for an autograph, sept for Marine Corps decorum.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Theodore Roosevelt. Why? He was the Assistant Secretary of The Navy. He organized and helped command the 1st Volunteer Cavalry Regiment during the Spanish-American War(and subsequently awarded a posthumous MOH, in '01). He was a historian and lawyer, supported capitalism and trusts, yet vehemently against corruption. He was a NYPD Police Police Commissioner, firmly molding it into a shape that is somewhat recognizable today. He was a level-headed conservationist and naturalist. He negotiated our construction of the Panama Canal. First American to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize(for negotiating an end to the Russo-Japanese War). He performed an admiral job in his first presidential term, taking over the reins from an assassinated McKinley, and managed to merge ideals and practicality throughout both of his terms. As well as numerous other events that I don't remember at this moment.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    The Gipper, hands down

Prez

Tricky Dick was My Favorite he gave us a raise

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    In my life time I have seen several Presidents, but the one that sticks out in my mind is no other than Old Ronnie Reagen. One hell of a man. Everyone loved Ronnie! But beyond my life I woould have to say FDR was the best this country ever had, overall! He was elected four times, you know?

Sparkie I was on the firing battery when The Dickie welcomed the 1et. Divison home. I also fired for him on Caranodo Island when he met with the Pres. of Mexico. Them 2 times firing was probably the 2 hardst jobs I have ever had. By God you had better not screw-up on one.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Wink Abraham Lincoln Takes the Cake

Abraham Lincoln, hands down.

He put down an insurrection that nearly tore this country apart.

He was principal in bringing an end to slavery.

He re-united and strengthened a divided United States that went on to become the most powerful nation the world has ever seen, even more powerful than its former colonial ruler, Great Britain.

By his hand, he forced a greedy and alarmed Britain (and every other opportunistic European power) to back off from intervening in our internal struggle. None has ever attempted to intervene ever since.

By his actions, he solidified the territorial conquest and annexation from Mexico of California, Arizona, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Utah, Colorado, and Oklahoma, and parts of Wyoming and Idaho. He also forced the British to recognize American sovereignty in the Oregon Territory between the 41st parallel and 49th parallel (marking the border of current Washington state and marking the border between the U.S. and British Columbia.) Though the U.S. and Great Britain signed a treaty in 1846, the British still coveted control of the great swath of territory from the Pacific Ocean to the eastern border of the current state of Idaho, the British made not one overt move to regain any formerly British-claimed territories from the United States while the U.S. was engaged in suppressing an internal insurrection. If the British had done so, the U.S. would have turned its attention to Canada and captured/annexed THAT as well, possibly rendering the Southern states virtually irrelevant with regard to natural resources and agriculture. (The British were wise to this and granted 'independence' to the Canadian provinces on July 1, 1867 so that if the United States chose to invade British possessions in Canada, the U.S. would no longer be just invading British colonial possessions - it would be invading a 'sovereign' nation which would thus justify a potential British intervention.) Oh: he also managed to buy Alaska off of Imperial Russia, too. Seward's Folly, indeed. Russia is still gnashing its teeth over THAT one. Come to think of it, so are Britain and Spain.

Just as a 'what-if', France, in this case, would have been more than happy to side with the newly-reaffirmed United States against Great Britain in order to regain its lost territories of New France (Québec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland, and parts of Ontario and Manitoba.) So, Lincoln pursued war policies during the Civil War that not only thwarted British imperialistic goals in North America but those of imperial France (and possibly Prussian) ones as well.

And all this was headed and accomplished by a one-time failed postmaster, businessman, farmer, militiaman, politician, lawyer, and husband, who taught himself to read and write as a child, who managed to accend to the Presidency by securing the votes of less than half of the country in 1860 and 1864 and who advocated forgiveness, amnesty, and mutual cooperation with the separatist and rebellious Southern states. And have a hand in forming the Republican Party.

If it weren't for Abraham Lincoln, we wouldn't HAVE a United States of America to speak of, much less one to defend from the Nazis and Imperial Japan.

Hats off to you, Mr. Lincoln.

Sgt gw

gwladarwr++++++++Are you that old to have served under Abe. Lincoln?

Reagan...because my first 2 years in the Corps was under Carter.

Reagan has my vote....

Ellie

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Funny thing about Lincoln. I live in Nevada, which is called the Battle Born state. Truth is Lincoln supporters donated funds to get people to move here so there was enough population to become a state. The electorial votes were 'bought' so he could be elected to a 2nd term. Not saying that was bad, Just politics.

Ditto "Gwladgarwr". The question, Sgt Young, has nothing to do with who was Pres when we were active, only "favorite".

I have two favorite Presidents: George Washington and Ronald "Ray-Gun" Reagan.

MY WORST PRESIDENT OF ALL TIME IS...
    Abraham Lincoln, hands down.
    Who did everything he could to violate the Constitution and solidify Federal dominance over the States and begin the slow destruction of our liberties.

thomas jefferson he spent most of his money and died in debt trying to educate and promote public schools and educating america

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    WELL EVERYTIME I'M IN THE CRAPPER,AND WIPING MY AZZ;WILLIAM JEFFERSON CLINTON,COMES INTO MIND;WHAT A FRIGGING TURD!(LMAO)

Thread Information