Okinawa
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okinawa

Okinawa

Hello all, I was wondering how does one get deployed to Okinawa? Is it a luck of the draw type thing or do you have to fulfill a criteria. Thanks

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Basically, luck of the draw. Your MOS has a lot to do with your specific chances to go to Oki. If you spend much time in the Corps, you will see Oki whether you want to or not.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Just keep saying to yourself that the last place on earth you want to go is Okinawa, please don't send me to Okinawa etc. It will be the first place you get sent.

Wink

When I joined "The Corps"goin to okinawa was just a stepping stone to"Sunny Southeast Asia"!! The island of anything goes!!I spent a small fortune(comin&goin) on that island

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I always thought it was somebody in S1 playing darts with a rotating dart board with names on it. Who knew?

Never went to Oki (except the one night at Kadena on the way to Iwakuni). But, Iwakuni for a year was a VERRRRRRRRY good time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker
    Just keep saying to yourself that the last place on earth you want to go is Okinawa, please don't send me to Okinawa etc. It will be the first place you get sent.
    A bit of reverse psychology works well in the Marines, lol. Should've used it to keep me off the USS Midway.

Marine84, I took that route to Iwakuni a couple of times, wished I spent at least a few days on the Island.

And, the one night in Kadena was when I wasn't there! LOL.

Bein a winger, I spent about 45 days in Kadena back in 85. That was my only time on 'the rock'.

Suggestion: Request "Overseas assignment" from MOS school. You might stand a chance to get it then.

I requested Okinawa in MOS school and Here I am. Been here going on 6 months now. Stationed at Hansen with 7th "Crime" for about a month before they realised I was suppose to be with Marine Corps Base Butler (AKA camp foster). Applying to get my POV now and taking college courses. It's humid as all hell and a Typhoon just hit us

What MOS are you hoping for?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Truth is that if you get sent to Oki with an infantry unit you will not want to go back. You won't get to see much of the economy but will see a whole lot of field time. After my first trip over there I never wanted to see that place again and ended up seeing it a total of 4 times. I think the more often I said I hated the place the more likely I was to go back. I have talked to many Marines that were stationed there (vice deployed there) that really liked it. It is after all Japans Hawaii.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MKinney
    I requested Okinawa in MOS school and Here I am. Been here going on 6 months now. Stationed at Hansen with 7th "Crime" for about a month before they realised I was suppose to be with Marine Corps Base Butler (AKA camp foster). Applying to get my POV now and taking college courses. It's humid as all hell and a Typhoon just hit us

What MOS are you hoping for?
    MKinney we have discussed this before. MCB Butler is a base. Camp Foster belongs to it, so does, Hansen, Scwaub etc. Kinda like Pendelton is a base and Meteo, Horno, Margerita etc. belong to it.

Bulk, hell brother, Hawaii is Japans Hawaii...lol.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yeah abs...............just mouthe it all the time especially when you walk into S1 for any reason "I DO NOT want to go to Oki!".

Wish I had figured that out early in the game - I NEVER got sent anywhere that the guys got to go because I always wanted to and asked to go. My last year in a few of them got orders to go to Yuma, AZ for 20 some odd days for a buildup - Top asked if I wanted to go, I told him "hell no - wasn't no way I wanted to be stuck in the sand, sun and heat for 20 some odd days and besides, there ain't no place to shop!". Couple of days later, I had orders AND I FINALLY earned my Ordnance Wings!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There is a training area in Hawaii called PTA. Marines from Oahu are sent there on 30 or 45 day training exercises. I think I would rather train on the moon. When I re-enlisted for barracks duty the first thing I said was good-bye PTA ..... you guessed it. The Marines of Marine Barracks Pearl Harbor were sent over there to train and because I had been there so many times I should know the drill. Ran into my old unit over there and they seriously gave me some grief .... ha ha .... no more PTA for you. I'll take Oki over that hell hole any day.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Was on Oki When the Japanese took over. All of a sudden one day, all them Jap police came out of the woodwork standing around in the Ville. Sure did tone down the party.,,,,

Thanks for all the reverse advice lmao... I wonder if that really works.

Thread Information