Prior Service Question
Create Post

Prior Service Question

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. I served in a reserve artillery unit from 97-05 w/my contract in the IR ending 1/06. I am thinking about active duty. I served in Iraq in 04/05 and was recently laid off ( construction). Will it be difficult for me to re-enlist? Can I choose another MOS and are there bonuses for prior service Marines? Thanks in advance.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Whoever you are

FILL IN YOUR PROFILE

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Showv me the Money.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I apoligise for that last comment, since you filled in your profile. You're duin fine, Bro. Ask away. And welcome aboard. You got a recruter?

No recruiter yet don't want the phone ringing off the hook untill I het a little more info.

I was active duty 92-96. Just re-enlisted into the reserves. A recruiter told me that the Corps. was taking prior service Marines back into their orignal MOS's only. I'm an 03 and he told me that was my only option for re-enlistment into active duty. There was never a mention, from him or my prior service recruiter, about any type bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by RD4GT
    No recruiter yet don't want the phone ringing off the hook untill I het a little more info.
    LOL, don't worry about that, prior service Marines are not priority for recruiters. If anything you're going to have to make the recruiters phone ring off the hook to get anything done.

Yeah, if anything, you won't hear a thing for months on end. I tried for over a year to get back in as a PS Marine with no joy. Ended up in the Air Guard instead, who were more than happy to take a former Marine.

That having been said, at this point far as I know, there is a 5G bonus for prior service, at least, that's what I heard back in September when the PS recruiter finally made contact with me.

If you are looking to lat move, you'll likely have better luck going into a short MOS, such as CounterIntelligence, Intelligence, and such. Call the PS recruiter, and once you do, hound the hell out of them. It's the only way you''ll get back in. Good luck!

Why is it that marine recruiters aren't as interested in prior service marines?

Is there an assumption that they aren't worth as much effort?

From what I understand (and this could just be scuttlebutt), they basically don't get a 'stat' for recruiting prior service Marines.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong..........

The local recruiters referred me to a prior service recruiter in OKC. From then on they contacted me when they heard something from HQMC. I went through a long age waiver process. I thought I had been forgotten a few times but it was just that they didn't have anything to tell me. I'm sure prior service recruiters have some type of quota. I dealt with two Gunnys that recruit prior service Marines only. I don't think they do a lot of actual recruiting. All the Marines they have put back in have come to them.

Thread Information