Sgt. Anthony L. Viggiani
Create Post

Thumbs up Sgt. Anthony L. Viggiani

Exclusive: Meet Our Decorated Heroes: God Bless Them! Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Anthony L. Viggiani

Author: The Editors
    Source: The Family Security Foundation, Inc.
    Date: July 10, 2007

While searching for Taliban fighters in the mountainous region around Khabargho, Afghanistan, on June 3, 2004, Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Anthony L. Viggiani and his men came under sudden, unexpected attack. Cut off from supporting American forces by interference with his radio transmission capabilities, Viggiani proceeded to protect several wounded Marines, as he coped with vicious fire aimed directly at him.

Meet Our Decorated Heroes: God Bless Them!
    Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Anthony L. Viggiani

“It stings but it’s nothing.” Most people might say that when describing a carpet burn or perhaps a bee sting. Staff Sgt. Viggiani, on the other hand, said that of a bullet wound sustained on June 3, 2004, in the mountainous region around Khabargho, Afghanistan.

His team and another squad received reports that a group of Taliban fighters were fleeing out of the town and into the forbidding hills – incredibly tough terrain full of caves and crevices, pits, and pitfalls.

As the men approached the ridgeline north of town, Viggiani’s squad lost touch with the others as the mountains interfered with the radio transmissions. Then Viggiani and his squad came under heavy and accurate fire, which injured two Marines and halted the advance. Viggiani crept forward, as it seemed like the fire was coming from the steep slope in front of him.

Viggiani and another Marine continued their slow advance – and suddenly came under direct fire. Gunfire was coming from a cave just a few feet away, as the enemies were still firing at the wounded Marines who had taken cover behind a nearby rock. With the rest of his team pinned down, it fell to Viggiani to eliminate the well-entrenched insurgents. Maneuvering to a better position, he peered through a small break in the rocks. When he saw a piece of cloth move, he fired three or four rounds. He heard no sounds that would lead him to believe the enemies had been hit, so he grabbed a grenade and dropped it into the hole. The cave blew apart, exposing three now-dead Taliban snipers.

With the threat eliminated, the medic was able to reach and treat the two injured Marines. Viggiani refused treatment on the gunshot wound on his leg and continued fighting. After three or four hours of intense chase and fighting, the Marines killed 14 enemy fighters and cleared the area.

For his leadership and bravery, Viggiani was awarded the Navy Cross on Jan. 25, 2006.

“I’m honored to receive the award,” said Viggiani, 26, now a drill instructor at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island. “But for what I did, I was just doing my job. When you hear about other citations, they did a hell of a lot more than I did.”

FSM is so proud of all of you! Thank you for keeping America safe and God Bless You!

Ellie

Good stuff.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Here is the video of the Award Ceremony:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbjttlAf6Is

Does anyone know if SSgt Viggiani is still at 3rd RTBN?

Thread Information