Name your favorite liberty port/location - Page 11
Create Post
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    A pallet a 33's, bottle of Nika witskey, Akadama wine and a few whacky Marine Bros...maybe little ssssssssssterno for back LMMFAO

Voss, Norway

I was part of SNOWFEX-64, a NATO exercise taking place in Norway. The first place we went was VOSS, NorwaY, A town that circled the base. We were allowed to take liberty in utilties(if we skied into town, we all did), an spent many happy nights teaching the locals to "speak english".

All Of Them

Any port of call after 1630, except Rota Spain.

Las Palamas, Canary Islands was a hoot. Even T-Town was good as long as you wore a raincoat. Taipei, Taiwan was medicore but better than Da Nang. Juarez, Mexico was good, cheap and a hell of a lot safer than T-Town. A big thumbs up for San Juan, PR. I had one night in Okinawa on the way home and loved it (her).

The Few. The Proud.
    Jerry D.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ahhh rosie's bar n grill in downtown danang wit me bro Mines...hehehehe

YES ole Naha, on Oki on the suicide cliffs with a bottle of Nika whitskey all fooked up and hanging over the edge wit them lil ryouki cops screamin crazy Marine get down mofos, go play in the NON "A" sign bar...hehehe LMMFAO

Guam The Bar Wher Eyou Can Finger Paint Naked Ladies

West Pac Dogs

PI is something I will never forget...maybe because of the shots afterwards. West Pac Marines know this as truth; Perth, Australia. Those who've been know, those who haven't must learn

I was stationed in the PI at B Co. Marine Barracks so I went to Olongapo a lot. I had a lot of fun during my 18 months there.I went to Angeles City, Subic City and Barrio Baretto a few times. Then I was stationed at Camp Pendleton and went to Oceanside, Vista and Carlsbad a lot. I did a unit deployment and went to Okinawa and Korea. Kin Ville was ok, but nothing compared to Olongapo. In Korea Po Hang was a lot of fun. I drank a lot of OB beer and soju.

I was in Hawaii 82-84 and did two WestPacs from there. Had liberty in the Philippines, Korea, Australia, Thailand, Singapore and Hong Kong. As a young Marine, the PI had to be the best. We are not serving here as missionaries.

After Hawaii I went on Embassy Duty in Rangoon, Burma (where I met my wife) and Bangkok, Thailand. Catherine's parents worked at the French Embassy in Burma and were subsequently stationed in Bangkok. I also ended up there. They rented a townhouse in Pattaya, which Catherine and I would frequent on my days off.

We also spent 9 years in Okinawa.

I remember Okinawa, Naha, Kokosai St, the "Stage", I remember Korea in Pohang, Pusan and Inchon and outside Osan Air Base. I remember Olongopo City and a bar called Jack Daniels just outside the Mariposa and Angeles City, too! I remember Bangkok and Patio Beach and Australia in Darwin and Darby. BUt I think what I remember the most in detail was Rota, Spain and Mildenhall Air Force Base in England...they treated us like kings after coming out of the desert in April of 91. They gave everything we wanted including things we didn't ask for...but didn't know we wanted! It was a great homecoming. I wouldn't change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryd6818
    Any port of call after 1630, except Rota Spain......

Jerry D.
    Yeah, Rota did blow. I liked Barcelona, Spain and Cannes France. Other than that most of the ports on my Med Float were plain and dry.

You guys on the West side had the fun float (westpac) while us LeJeune got stuck with a boring Med Float.

Special MAGTAF for Haiti in 1994. We pulled into Nassua Bahamas in March of that year. SPRING BREAK!!!!

THe sority house Thighs Full-a Pies were there!!! :O Some say i had a Great Time.

Never paid for one drink. But was drunk for three days.

Last day i was on Shore patrol. The XO and I went Room by Room at the hotels to get the Marines out of them to send them back to the ship. Lots of broke hearts on that trip.

Rhodes Greese was a close second. DIfferent Story.

R&R in Taipei Taiwan, Best Chinese pus...er food I ever did taste vintage 1968.

This brings some great memories of the "5 Star" club in downtown Panama. If any one that served in Panama is reading this, keep it to yourself, I still owe Rosie about 10 Colons.

Let me introduce myself, I was the proprietor of the Ponderosa in
    Chibana in 1963-1964. My friends called me "Ben Cartwright" because of my ranching. T'was a wonderful time.
    Duty station was Camp Hague across from Kinser. I extended only to
    end up down south when the s*** hit the fan.

quote=firstsgtmike]Weekends are fun and nice, and if you party hearty, you'll be broke long before payday comes around again. A liberty port with port and starboard liberty is a three day orgy and a four day hangover.

Okinawa, 1960, one year unaccompanied tours for Fleet Marines. Upon arrival, we were restricted for three days, until indoctrination lectures by the Division CG, Chaplain, and Medical Officer.

Several of us were assigned to Division Schools at the "old" Camp Kinser in Chibana. The XO welcomed us aboard and gave his own indoctrination lecture.

In essence, he said that if we had no moral objections, to find a honey and a house and shack up for our entire tour. His reasons made sense. After the first week, if you didn't come down with a "social disease" and remained true blue to her, you were home free. "Ranchers" drank less, were hung over less, and were never UA because it was in her best interests to wake you and get you back to the base on time. Your uniforms were alwys squared away because she washed, starched, and ironed them, including spit shining boots and dress shoes.

$30 a month took care of the house, the girl, and basic food. $10 more spent at the commissary and you lived like a king. Three bucks a night at the club at Kadena and you had a t-bone steak dinner, live floor show, drinks, and dancing.

Is it any wonder about the number of Marines who choose to extend their tours on Okinawa? I spent 3 1/2 years there, with a six month mandatory break to return to CONUS, and reenlist with the guarantee of going back "home".[/quote]

My favorite liberty port was Hong Kong, Kowloon side. I went to the Bottoms Up Club which as in the 007 film Man WT Golden Gun. My second favorite liberty was, lessee...I guess Olongapo, Philippines. Also Singapore.

Thread Information