Name your favorite liberty port/location - Page 12
Create Post
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Bangkok- The Happy-Happy social club, HEH,HEH and the Honey-Honey hotel

Bali, Bali, Bali

Quote Originally Posted by SgtOfMarines
    gotta be Pattia Beach, Thailand..... those of you that were there I dont have to explain. Those of you that weren't,well, it would be illegal to explain.
    I did Phuket twice. I tip a Singha to you, buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Barrio_rat
    Let's see...

Ejoyed the hell out of Okinawa. Was on Futenma so I was close to Naha and 'the wall.' Plenty of good parties I don't remember too much about at the wall. BC street and whisper alley.

Angeles City, Olongapo, Barrio Barretto (Hence the nick name) were always great and accomodating. Strange though, how word of mouth they know yer there... Filipino word of mouth is faster than the telephone. Makes it tough to meet the next girlfriend. Hehe. Hung out at Wiskey River and The Blue Parrot in the barrio and usually was in Peso Jimmy's in Olongapo, though I've been to Cal Jams, Sierra Club, T's and a few of the others in Olongapo. The DMZ, Love Birds (yeah, I liked the name too), and Nipa Hut were fun in Angeles. I liked balute so much I had to go and marry one. I still get hell for all the time I spent in the bars there. LOL. Nothing like the smell of dried fish frying in the kitchen.

Korea was a fun place. Anjan ri (sp?) Camp Humphreys. Army rolls their sleves down for winter before the USMC so we were ordered to roll ours down as well to be uniform. Bunch of us thought if they want uniform let the Army keep theirs up. Also had plenty of fun in Pohang and Pusan and I've still got my mink blanket.

Liked Hong Kong a lot. Sydney was a nice place. Couldn't stay, the Corps made me wait 3 weeks after my dad died and then the day we hit port in Sydney they cared so much they made me fly out that day. Only good thing was I got to watch green peace get chased by the cops on the water and didn't have to man the rails.

Could have done without Port of Al Jabail, Saudi Arabia. Dubai, United Arab Emmerates was pretty cool. Sat by a pool drinking some strong mixed drinks at a 5 star hotel. Not a bad way to earn your combat pay.
    Sounds like you were in 1st Marines. Gerbil Alley, yay. At least when we there, they brought restaurants in on trailers. Hardees, Pizza Inn, and $1 beer. Good times. We went to Bahrain and had pizza and white Russians made out of powdered milk. Yum

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Something different

Nicest place was Bergen Norway. We were the first Navy ship to port there since WW2. They treated us like kings. We in turn, being young Marines, busted the town up. We could still do no wrong. Wonderful people.

St Thomas was great too. A drinkers paradise. Can of beer was cheaper than a can of Coke. They had beer machines in the USO. We were in town at the same time as the carrier Independence. Talk about packed. The beer in the machines didn't have time to get cold!! The old ladies running the place didn't have a chance. Bars were great. Half gallon of rum was $3 and you could drink on the sidewalk. Lots of friendly women, of course it meant $$$.

Plymouth England was fun, but dangerous. Big military town and they don't take no ****. Got my USMC tattoo finished there. Got it started in Jacksonville on Court Street.

Court Street in Jacksonville NC (not quite the worst, but close). I went there last year during my vacation. It's Gone!!

The worst is Watertown New York in December.

Registered User Free Member dave2935's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I've read about five pages, lots of exotic locales. But nobody mentioned good ol' Washington, D.C. Has it changed that much? I was stationed in Portsmouth, Va. and caught a bus to D.C. I walked into a bar on Pennsylvania Ave. I had a drink in front of me before I could sit down. They said the women outnumbered the men 14 to 1, during the week, it maybe dropped to 10 to 1 on weekends.
    Had some great times there, only New York was better.
    Semper Fi.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DSchmitke
    Okinawa can't remember the name of the restaurant outside of Camp Hansen. But it had the best kobe steak. And outside of Futuma was the Mongolian BBQ and then go down to the Surfcomber for a steam bath and beer.
    My friend owned the Surfcomber. Renamed it Desperados. Second floor was a disco and the third floor was a small bar and steam bath.

I used to play pool almost every night in Desperados.

Phucket, Thailand.

The Playschool. Something about a chick with a number pinned on her bra...

And the dollar to bot ratio was great! 42:$1 I still have an ATM receipt that says I had half a million in the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by M240Ggunner
    Phucket, Thailand.

The Playschool. Something about a chick with a number pinned on her bra...

And the dollar to bot ratio was great! 42:$1 I still have an ATM receipt that says I had half a million in the bank.
    Both of my trips to Phuket were great. Not sure which bar was the Playschool. One of the bars featured a young lady popping ballons by shooting darts out of....

That was the Pink Pather, right next door to the Playschool.

You're all over it, brother. I tip a Singha to you.

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Well, I Would Have To Say. Singapore First Then, Phillipines. But One Of The Rarest Scenes That I Will Always Remember . Is While On A Float The Uss Tulare In 1973 . While Our Ship Along With The Seveth Fleet Was Cruising Between China And Tiawan In The Straits Of Formosa. It Was About 0300 Hours In The Morning And I Was Asleep In My Top Bunk Which By The Way Was The Four One Up, I Awoke From My Sleep, And Found That Their Was A Strange Hush Over The Ship And We Have Stopped In The Middle Of A Very Dark Sea . It Seemed Like A Calm And Peace That I Have Never Felt Before, But I Climbed Down Out Of My Bunk And Headed Up Top To The Deck.

Well, To My Eye A Wounder That I Could Hardy Take In There Was Our Us Navy And All It Great Power Stopped Dead In The Water. And All I Could See Was These Little Lights Shining All Around Us And It Looked As If There Was About A Thousand Little Lights Shining About 10 To 15 Feet Up Off The Ocean Surface And Reflecting Onto The The Top Of The Water.
    As Far As You Could See They Were Everywhere Around Us. We Set Motion-less In The Water For About 20 Minutes Till We Got Permission To Continue On Our Route Heading South Towards Hong Kong, And Viet-nam.
    Here Is The Kicker And What My Eyes Beheld That Night And Is A Sight That Will Always Be Burnd Into My Mind Forever.
    The Lights Were Chinese Lantruans , And They Were All Hanging At The Fan-tail Of Every Little Fishing Boat Called Junks And The Boats All Were About 20-25 Feet Long And They Were About Twenty Yards Spaced Between Them. They From What I Could Figure Was From The Word That Came Down From The Captians Pilot House, Fishing For Flounder That Were Running Through The Formosa Strait And This Is A Event That Happens Twice A Year In The Formosa Sea.
    We Of Course Did Start Back On Course And The Heading We Was On South. We Had To Wait Till These Fishing Junks Made A Hole For Us To Manuver Through, At Which Was A Snail Pace Till We Reach The Other Side A The Fishing Junks I Watched From The Top Deck As We Slowly Past Through And Watch A Sight That Was To Behold...

And Me Without My Camera Phone...

Sgt.r.n.davis Usmc...1973

Sure you don't want a Tiger? or maybe a shot of Thai whiskey?

Not my favorite liberty port but who remembers Speedo's, Eight Ball, and The Rathskeller on Court St. J'Ville NC?

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coup

Not my favorite liberty port but who remembers Speedo's, Eight Ball, and The Rathskeller on Court St. J'Ville NC?

Ya and after we staggered...from those joints, we staggered over for chow to the little greasy spoon next to or close to the USO on that side street....I remember the owners daughter at the till, Rosie(sweet young thang). Momma always standing guard in the back of the joint watching every swining dick!
    Till that wild ass Joe Piazza Bulk Fuel mofo tried putting the moves on the one waitress got us 86!

After that we found a bar out towards New River....can't remember where exactly..? But dats another liberty call...LMAO
    AND the last liberty call....throwing chicken bones out the window of my POV on the ride from the main gate to mainside....holy o ****...hitting the Generals car with them bones....BRIGG TIME, loss of civilian and military license(s) and OFF to RVN

Thread Information