Name your favorite liberty port/location - Page 23
Create Post
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    MAYPORT...MARY!!!

I gotta agree with trapped, pattya beach was the best place I've been, although now that I think about it Tokyo was a close tie.

Smile Again, taking a chance on offending somebody...

Port Lyautey, French Morocco.

My most memorable country and people was found quite by accident. It was summer '52 and I was being sent home for early E of EE. The USMC was saying "... just shut up and go away...".

We were in the Med 6th Fleet. From the Fleet went to then US Naval Station, Port Lyautey, Morocco, to catch a stateside ride. It no longer exists, having been renamed Kenitra and shut down.

Port Lyautey at that time turned out to be a friendly (to the US) Arab Country. I tell you I've become appreciative of friends, we could use some.

I really wanted to go to Rick's Cafe (down at Casablanca) & see (maybe) Humphry, Ingrid, Sam and Claude Rains, but couldn't make it happen.

Some then & now comparisons: During my time ('47-'52) we went everywhere, w/o weapons, joined the people publicly and never sensed fear. My son, later in the Military ('84-'88), was told any where, any time, when moving around off base, get into civilian clothes, there'll be less trouble that way .

Son, you deserve better than this. This feces, in my PFC view, is as a result of not trying to win anything, just rattle mouth. This political correctness, conflict resolution and multiculturalism brings on disunity.

Everything we did in those times was 1st class, rode home in the old Globemaster C-124, 4 piston engines, it was glorious. Like landing a barn must be, sheer skill and power. What a ride, only in the US.

Moderators, maybe for safety, just dump this. Wouldn't want to take a chance on upsetting young DocGreek. Gary Hall.

Hey Gary, PFC is E-2. Check your profile.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Enlisted rank insignia 1946-1959

Application - sewn on
    Placement - both sleeves, midway between elbow and armhole seam, in the center of the outer half of each uniform sleeve
    Uniforms - since 1938, only the shirt
    Used colors - insignia cloth color - khaki, stripes color - forest green

Rank description - "Private" has no rank insignia

1. Private First Class
    2. Corporal
    3. Sergeant
    4. Staff Sergeant
    5. Gunnery Sergeant
    6. Master Sergeant
    7. First Sergeant
    8. Sergeant Major

We understand boot..!

On Editing Profile..

Quote Originally Posted by Drafter View Post
    Hey Gary, PFC is E-2. Check your profile.
    Thanks, Drafter. I hadn't caught the disparity. Over the years
    (47-52) I did have a little trouble with rank, I believe I made Private about 3 or so times. Don't misunderstand, I am not making light of such kid stuff, I do wish I could have been much more responsible.
    Any how, I did try to make the correction, saved it but my profile came up without the correction. There are several other corrections I wished to make, and tried, but couldn't make it happen.

I'll keep after it, maybe some beautiful, blond, long legged (& rich, while I'm daydreaming?) WR will come along & be merciful and help out a harmless old man?

Stranger things have happened. Gary Hall.

Pattya Beach was number one for sure.

Tromso, Norway was also a lot of fun, great people, terrible weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hall View Post
    Thanks, Drafter. I hadn't caught the disparity. Over the years
    (47-52) I did have a little trouble with rank, I believe I made Private about 3 or so times. Don't misunderstand, I am not making light of such kid stuff, I do wish I could have been much more responsible.
    Any how, I did try to make the correction, saved it but my profile came up without the correction. There are several other corrections I wished to make, and tried, but couldn't make it happen.

I'll keep after it, maybe some beautiful, blond, long legged (& rich, while I'm daydreaming?) WR will come along & be merciful and help out a harmless old man?

Stranger things have happened. Gary Hall.
    Not a problem Gary, Shoot I was a 3 time LCPL, I know exactly where you coming from.

I remember one time my Co. Gunny called me over, he looks at my collar, goes, "Just checking to see what rank you are this week, think I'll just stick to using your last name. You're a damn fine Marine and squared away too, we just gotta keep you outa garrison and in the field."

Gunny Brenez, good guy. (not sure about the spelling) I do a hell of an impression of him by the way. lol

Banja Luka, Bosnia .... or Pattaya Thailand. Too close to call.

mINE WAS YOU GUESSED IT OLONGAPO THE GROWN MANS DISNEY WORLD WHERE YOU COULD TAKE A TWENTY DOLLAR BILL AND COME BACK WITH CHANGE OOOORRRAAAH

Quote Originally Posted by doc h fmf View Post
    mINE WAS YOU GUESSED IT OLONGAPO THE GROWN MANS DISNEY WORLD WHERE YOU COULD TAKE A TWENTY DOLLAR BILL AND COME BACK WITH CHANGE OOOORRRAAAH
    And a case of the Clap. SF

Thumbs up Townsville Australia

Whoooooo Townsville Australia!! I was there for 30 days with Charlie Company 1st Battalion 3rd Marines. Australian women would drop whatever they were doing to make sure the Marines had a pleasant stay! nuf said.

Oh my God to me there was only one that was the best and that was Quantico Va.
    Why, Cause there was an all Girl Collage there and there were allot of Marines that would go and party there on the weekends and wouldn't come back to base until Monday morning,Me included..Beer ,Wine and Women make a good combination I say.

Several somethin, somethin agogo.
    Always somethin agogo, lol.
    PAYATTYA!!! hands down.
    Or up, or yeah, thats it.
    What were we talking about?
    Oh yeah Payttya

Gotta love Thailand

Smitty.

Did you get to Kyoto, or Sasanomi ? FUN. SF KEN

Thread Information