Famous Marines:
Create Post
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Famous Marines:

Famous Marines:

Was doing some history searching, mostly to change my most favorite Marine, (which I've changed to Don Adams, "Get Smart"). Here are some more famous Marines.

Famous Marines
    Main article: List of famous U.S. Marines
    Many famous Americans, as well as CEOs of many Fortune 500 Companies, have served in the Marine Corps. Tom Monaghan, the founder of Domino's Pizza, is a Marine. In music, John Philip Sousa joined the Marines and became the band's conductor while serving for 13 years. In politics, Senator Zell Miller, pundit James Carville, Secretary of the Navy and U.S. Senator Jim Webb and military analysts Anthony Zinni, Joseph Hoar and Bernard E. Trainor are Marines. Baseball Hall of Famers Tom Seaver, Ted Williams, Rod Carew, Roberto Clemente, Eddie Collins, and Bill Veeck all served in the Marines. Professional boxers Leon and Michael Spinks are both Marines, as are former heavyweight champions Gene Tunney & Ken Norton. Six astronauts, including Senator John Glenn, Charles F. Bolden, Jr. and Fred Haise, are Marine aviators. Several have succeeded in the entertainment industry, including actors Steve McQueen, Tyrone Power, Don Adams, Gene Hackman, Harvey Keitel, Lee Marvin and Drew Carey; and reggae musician Orville Burrell (Shaggy). R. Lee Ermey and comedian Jonathan Winters were both drill instructors prior to their renown. In addition, many films feature the U.S. Marine Corps.[13]

I had remembered quite a few of those guys above are Marines but didn't know Jonathon Winters was a Marine Drill Instructor...wow.

I bet you guys don't know that Bugs Bunny is a Marine!

How's about George C. Scott?

Scott joined the U.S. Marine Corps, serving from 1945 until 1949, and was assigned to the prestigious 8th and I Barracks in Washington, D.C. In that capacity, he served as a ceremonial guard at Arlington National Cemetery and taught English literature and radio speaking/writing at the Marine Corps Institute. Scott later said that his duties at Arlington led to his drinking.

After his military service, Scott enrolled in the University of Missouri, where he majored in journalism and then became interested in drama; he left college after a year to pursue acting

Roberto Clemente is officially listed in the Marine Corps as;
    Roberto Clemente Walker, that why many web pages do not show him as being a Marine.
    Or it is omitted.

Frederick W. Smith

Frederick W. Smith has been President and Chief Executive Officer of FedEx Corp. Mr. Smith founded Federal Express in 1971 and served as a President of Federal Express Corporation from 1971 to 1975 and from 1983 to January 1998. Mr. Smith was Chief Executive Officer of Federal Express from 1977 to January 1998. Mr. Smith served as an officer in the U.S. Marine Corps in Vietnam from 1966 to 1970.

Hugh O'brian was born as Hugh J. Krampe

O' Brian, at 17, enlisted in the Marine Corps. He became the youngest drill instructor in the Corps' history, and during his four year service won a coveted Fleet appointment to The Naval Academy. After passing the entrance exams, he declined the appointment, intending to enroll at Yale to study law.
    After serving four years, and receiving his honorable discharge from the Marine Corps, O' Brian went to Los Angeles where he planned to earn money for his Yale tuition.

Nathaniel Fick
    The author of the book One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer.
    Saw service in Iraq recently as a Recon officer.

Those are a few more, one you had already listed, but I wanted to show his real name Roberto Clemente Walker.

Another Famous Marine;
    Walter Stauffer McIlhenny (October 22, 1910 - June 22, 1985) served as president of McIlhenny Company, maker of Tabasco brand pepper sauce, from 1949 until his death in 1985. He also distinguished himself as a member of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve — receiving the Navy Cross for his actions during the Battle of Guadalcanal and retiring as a brigadier general. He was a co-founder, trustee, and president emeritus of the Marine Military Academy in Harlingen, Texas.

C-Ration and Meals Ready To Eat would never go down if it wasn't for Tabasco sauce in a bottle.

Good additions MillRat...I was on Wikipedia so the list is far from complete.

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't 'Biter' Mike Tyson a Marine?

Dave, Tyson was not, perhaps you have him mixed up with another pro boxer that tried USMC bootcamp and didn't make it...whats his dang name??? I can't think of it now, but it was a few years ago.

How about Capt. Kangaroo, Bob Keeshan, he was a Marine.

Dan, are you saying Mel Blanc was a Marine?

That was Riddick Bowe. Couldn't hack boot camp.

BTW, believe it or not, Hillary Clinton seriously considered applying to NJROTC to become a Marine officer in the early part of her college career. LOL. No kiddin.

I saw on a Tv show where I think johnny carson asked capt. Kangaroo who his hero was and he said his platoon Sgt. who saved his life in battle the platoon Sgt. was Lee Marvin

Myth. Sorry. Bob Keeshan didn't serve with Lee Marvin. Lee Marvin was wounded at Saipan. But Keeshan never saw active combat.

It's a nice story, but untrue, sad to say.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    Myth. Sorry. Bob Keeshan didn't serve with Lee Marvin. Lee Marvin was wounded at Saipan. But Keeshan never saw active combat.

It's a nice story, but untrue, sad to say.

Plus I don't think Marvin ever made it past PFC.
    Probably had some sort of attitude!

LOL....yeah, no doubt. Then again, promotions in those days were dang slow. His WIA may have also played a part in that. Did you know he was 100 percent disabled because of that?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    LOL....yeah, no doubt. Then again, promotions in those days were dang slow. His WIA may have also played a part in that. Did you know he was 100 percent disabled because of that?
    Only thing I ever heard was Marvin said he got it in the as*! Didn't know he was disabled. Knew he hated Japs, though. Refused to be in movies with them until he finally made that movie about being stranded with one on an island.

I believe Hugh O Brian was a DI at Paris Island, I met him when I was in the Hospital at Great Lakes Navel center, 1968. Jack Web Also was a DI at paris Island, I know they were Both DIs.

Thread Information