Women Warriors: 'These Girls are 100 Percent Marine'
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool Women Warriors: 'These Girls are 100 Percent Marine'

Women Warriors: 'These Girls are 100 Percent Marine'
    by Sgt. Joe Lindsay
    Marine Corps News
    March 17, 2003

MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, KANEOHE BAY, Hawaii -- Since 1918, women have claimed the title United States Marine, and have played significant roles throughout our Corps' history.

As in the past, women are continuing to demonstrate their ability to meet any challenges that come their way, and are helping to shape the future of the Marine Corps.)

The role of women in the Marine Corps all began on Aug. 13, 1918, when Opha Mae Johnson enlisted as a private.

Since that time, the role of women in the Marine Corps has continued to grow, and they now serve alongside men in 93 percent of all occupational fields.

There was a time, though, when many probably felt that would never happen.

Following Johnson into the Marine Corps were 304 other women, who served as reservists under the World War I recruiting campaign of "Free a Marine to fight."

These women were not referred to as Marines, but rather as "Marionettes," and they did not attend boot camp.

All Marionettes served in clerical capacities, and less than a year after joining, though they had served with distinction, all women were discharged from the Corps.

It wasn't until November 1942 that women were once again permitted to join the Marines.

The first enlisted class of 722 women completed training at Hunter College, N.Y., on April 25, 1943, and the first officer class of 75 women finished their training at Mount Holyoke College, Mass., on May 11, 1943.

Women have continuously served with the Marine Corps since then, and they have definitely come a long way since the early days when only clerical jobs were open to them.

In the Vietnam War, women Marines served in combat zones for the first time, and in the 1970s women Marines were assigned to Fleet Marine Force units for the first time.

The 1990s brought even more responsibilities and changes for women Marines, including the flying of combat aircraft.

Approximately 1,000 women Marines served in Operation Desert Shield and Operation Desert Storm, which saw Brig. Gen. Carol Mutter become the first woman of any service to take command of a major operationally deployable unit.

Mutter later went on to become the first woman Marine lieutenant general in 1996.

Today women Marines undergo the same training as their male counterparts at boot camp, and make up over five percent of all active duty enlisted personnel and over four percent of all Marine officers.

Women are no longer referred to as Marionettes, and though 93 percent of all occupational fields are open to them, women are definitely 100 percent Marine.

(Editor's Note: March is Women's History Month, a time designated to honor and celebrate the contributions of women to our nation.

Sempers,

Roger

A Molly Marine statue now stands outside of the Marine Corps Research Center at Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va. Ouantico's Molly Marine statue is a bronze replica of the original, which stands on the corner of Elk and Canal streets in New Orleans. The Molly Marine statue is an enduring symbol of the sacrifices women have made to earn the title Marine. Photo by: Steve Bonstedt

Registered User Free Member JChristin's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Roger for posting this.

semper fi
    jchristin

Registered User Free Member kubba's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up Woman Marines

My hat is off to all you WM's out there.
    It was not easy for you gals to make it but you did, and I for one am darn pround to be assosiated( did I spell that right?)with you.
    This is a great site and I would like to hear from more of you.
    You WM's must have some great stories to tell.

Semper FI
    stan

Thanks for the thumbs up. So nice to get a pat on the back. You are right we do have some stories.

Semer Fi

Registered User Free Member Roberto T. Cast's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    It's nice to see women Marine among the ranks. Before we had to see the ugly face of the Marine next to you. If you are lucky, you will a pretty face next to you.

Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up you are right

Roberto you are absolutely right. I for one can not wait to hear from more WM's. Not only better looking but lets face it they smell better too. Ladies drinks are on me.
    Gung Ho
    Semper FI
    Do or Die
    stan

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hey Roger,

The statue of Molly above is actually located outside the Gray Research Center. Apparently there was too much confusion between the two different MCRC's on base in Quantico

MCRC - Marine Crops Research Center
    MCRC - Marine Corps Recruiting Command

Hey, maybe someday Molly and "Iron Mike" can get together and have a few little Marine Corps statuettes!!!

SF

I'm bumping this thread because of a person who came in the chat area and was oblivious to the fact WM's have served in conflicts or that they were even allowed to enlist before Desert Shield/Storm.

Angel

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    WM here.............present and accounted for

They should talk to Ms Arlene

Agreed 84. Hopefully I'll get to meet Ms. Arlene when I'm up in Milwaukee in a few weeks.

Angel

Credits
    Savings
    Marine84 and His Angel as a boot in 1970 I pulled guaurd duty around the WM baracks at Paris Island. I had the grave yard watch so I would she the formations in the mornings. Ladies I thought my DI used harsh language, the WM DI was brutel. I was thankful I did not have her.From that day forth I had even more respect for women in the armed forces. I salute you all.
    I only met a few WM's either remmington raiders or in my field in the mess hall.
    If there are any men reading this , lets face it we have guys out there that can talk the talk but become wheel chair bound when it comes time to walk if you know what I mean.
    I would enjoy hearing from any of you ladies so give me a shout any time at sfkow36@hotmail .com
    Semper FI kubba

Great thread. I think few even realize than we had quite a few who served in Vietnam as well. I personally am good friends with 2 of these fantastic ladies.

Credits
    Savings
    True Story for Mary Ann
    Before being shipped to Nam ,Some of us went to Dineyland on Marine Corp day. Standing in line for one of the rides was me my friend Mac. Two cute girls in front of us and Mac makes a comment about BAM'S. And in case you are not aware it is what the men called WM'S Broad Ass Marines and I appologize because I never liked it. He make the comment again and one girl turns around and"" says what did you say?" Mac made the mistake of repeating what he said and down he went. She cold cocked him so hard he was out for ten minutes.So you see size and shape do not matter a Marine is a Marine no matter what gender. Mac did appologize before we left the park
    Stan

Thumbs up

I am glad to see that we are appreciated. I was in the first class of Field Wiremen to include women and we were not wanted! The first pt session we had at school, the SSGT. tried to run the women out. He ran us six miles, up hill, in the sand. Instead of dropping us out, he dropped his instructors out, because they were not used to that kind of exertion. We had just come out of bootcamp so of course we were in the best shape of our lives!! We thought that was great, but the SSGT. never got over it! He was a sexist jackass anyway! The rest of the guys were great and became some of my best friends.

Pialphamu,
    I totally understand. I was in the first class of electricians that included women. There were only 3 of us and 2 dropped after school and went into supply. I stayed in my MOS and came out as an 1143 high voltage. As far as I know I was/am the only women 1143 in the Corps. Now I work as a journeyman pipefitter for GM. I have 21 years in and 9 years and counting left.
    I was a real oddity as I wore civvies to wrk.. jeans and a tee as I could not perform my work in those cute blue utilities we wore then. had to get special persmission from CMC to be issued boots and wear them. The good old days. Few people even realized I was a Marine as I worked with 5 civillian guys. They were great. Ahh the good old days....

Thread Information