Phony Vietnam Vets Proliferate - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The Only Important thing to remember,-------If you were really there,

YOU KNOW IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coup
    I just returned from a 3/7/1 reunion. On one hand I can say that I wouldn't have missed my experience for the world. I've made life long friends and done things that most people will never do. On the other hand I've seen and done things that no one should ever have to see or do. I don't know--- I guess it evens out. Anyone who didn't go has nothing to be ashamed of. As Master Sgt Hinkley says every job is important.
    By the way Fist, I made my first trip to the Wall on Friday. It was absolutely the most moving experience of my post Marine Corps life.
    Semper Fidelis and Welcome Home my Brothers.

Dave
    I went to one of the portable Walls that they were taking around City to City a few years ago. I've been in D.C. since and don't think I can bring myself to go.

As far as jobs, everyone in the USMC we were told that everyone's primary MOS was 0311 and rockets and mortars are addressed "to whom it may concern" and don't have anyone's name on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coup View Post
    I recently ran into a guy who said he was a Lt. Col. In the Marine Corps, had served in Nam etc. I asked him where in Nam and he said "The DMZ" so I asked where on the 'Z' and he couldn't come up with a name of any place near the DMZ and finally said "You know, the Mekong Delta" It was so pitiful I couldn't bring myself to kick his ass.

SF

Dave
    I was talking to a guy in a bar, he said he was a marine in Nam. Iasked where he was over there. He said HANOI. I asked what BOOM BOOM was & he said that was the big guns they used over there. I doubt if he was even in the service. I was a SeaBee in MCB #1. For the first month we lived in tents at just below FREEDOM HILL. The first thing we heard when we got off the plane in Danang, was, hey seabee you boom boom?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jack Schafer; 03-16-11 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typing wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hood View Post
    We need to start a post--the Phoney Marine--we have all met him. My favorite was the one who did boot at Camp Lejeune.
    Sempers
    Yeah......then there's the guy who went to Jump School at Camp Lejeune
    HIP

They did drop a bunch into the pine trees at Lejuene 73/74.

Hey HM1 DanM -How Are you?-You Know Lately I Miss the Navy Also.Really Nice to Hear From You.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    on ross jan.? we were brought in from the bush..1 plt from Bco 1/7...to go on a special op with the arvens...info was lots of nva big guns ect...wasnt good...that night we found out what the build up was about...they hit ross..sea bees had been building plywood buildings...had built one for themselves only they partitiond theirs off so each one had his own privet space....only one survived and that was becaus of the partitions....sead he heard in broken english from the dark....tonight sea bee you die...then the sachal charge went off...no sure how many were kia in that bilet...was to sad..Dco took a hard hit that night also..rpgs tore the bunkers they were in al to smitherings

Yeah. I don't remember my MOS, can't tell you anything...Marine CIA. Excuse me but I dropped my 14 MOH's, 17 Navy Crosses, 12 Silver Stars, 72 Purple Hearts, 6 China Service Medals, and Croix de Guere. Whew! I hate it when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianhipwell View Post
    Yeah. I don't remember my MOS, can't tell you anything...Marine CIA. Excuse me but I dropped my 14 MOH's, 17 Navy Crosses, 12 Silver Stars, 72 Purple Hearts, 6 China Service Medals, and Croix de Guere. Whew! I hate it when that happens.
    My hero, can I have your autograph?

I really just don't understand 'posers'. I guess I never will. I was a Marine Reservist from 1969 to 1975. I recently bought a T shirt from Sgt Grit that says "Viet Nam Era Marine". After having worn it a few times, I doubt I ever will again. Too many people assumed I was a Viet Nam Vet. I quickly corrected all that I was not a Vet, just served during that time. I know the shirt clearly states Viet Nam era and does not say Vet, but I will not do anything to improperly make people think I served where I did not. I respect you Nam Vets,and what you all went through, way to much to be incorrectly listed with you, intentionally or unintentionally.

My father served in DaNang during Vietnam. Does not talk much about it.

Unhappy Here's what I think !

When I was in the Corps , I never ever wanted to be there (I was drafted ) but during boot camp those arrogant stoogies with the campaign hats kept beating it into me . I survived but never like being one until I was in Nam .

I still have my dress uniform that I wore home , even though I never ever wanted it very badly but did earn the right to be a Marine the hard way !

Guess there's some fools who want the easier route in life ,they are known as true low lifes , how low they can go !

Thank you Ellie for a sad......but great post! Once upon a time we were spat on for killing babies. Now all the losers want to be one of us. Most of us were Nam vets before it became popular!
    SEMPER FI and GOD Bless the Marine Corps!

Quote Originally Posted by tracs1833 View Post
    I really just don't understand 'posers'. I guess I never will. I was a Marine Reservist from 1969 to 1975. I recently bought a T shirt from Sgt Grit that says "Viet Nam Era Marine". After having worn it a few times, I doubt I ever will again. Too many people assumed I was a Viet Nam Vet. I quickly corrected all that I was not a Vet, just served during that time. I know the shirt clearly states Viet Nam era and does not say Vet, but I will not do anything to improperly make people think I served where I did not. I respect you Nam Vets,and what you all went through, way to much to be incorrectly listed with you, intentionally or unintentionally.
    I too was a Nam "Era" Marine. I won't wear anything that might be misread as me being a Nam Vet. My step-son bought me a cap that had "Marine" and the word "Retired" embroidered on it. I took a sharpie and blacked out the word Retired. I served 4 years and got out. My father-in-law served two tours in Nam and 20 years total and retired. We are both Marines, but I wasn't a career Marine. I think a Real Marine both by virtue of earning the title, or via mind set would never claim accomplishments he/she did not earn.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Tracs and EGTSpec you represent the true value of your Corps. You would never do anything to dishonor your brothers by claiming to be something your aren't

A few years ago a I met a China Marine. The man had to be in his 90's. He wore a beat up old Corps cap, red and gold. This one had scrambled eggs on it. It never occurred to me that he was posing as an officer yet this man went out of his way to explain to me that he just a grunt and that his late wife had bought the hat for him. He was that concerned that a total stranger would think he was doing something wrong. Amazing!!

Thread Information