This was cool
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This was cool

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

This was cool

So this morning we had a pool function, and after getting a good thrashing for about half an hour and running 3 miles, the pool came back to the offfice and Master Sergeant Martinez said that the recruiting district or whatnot had overshipped active duty recruits. He asked for two volunteers who would be willing to change to reserves, but they would have have to ship in July. So me and my buddy volunteered, and he took us to his office. He said that as a reward for volunteering the recruiters would make sure that we got lance corporal. So they already gave us the two referrals to get Pfc, and they already had our referrals lined up to get LCpl after boot camp. Just figured I'd share that. Also I was given forward observer as my new MOS and I was wondering what that entails.

You get all the way up to lance corporal?
    I thought the highest you could get in boot camp was PFC and then a six month period before being eligible for promotion to lance corporal.

Are you trying out for Recon? All the poolees at my RSS and the ones I've met are searching for referrals so that they can earn PFC and be eligible for Recon Indoctrination Program soon after SOI.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yeah if you get two referrals before you go to boot camp you get Pfc, and i f you get another two referrals during the leave after bootcamp you get Lance Corporal.

thought the highest you could get in boot camp was PFC and then a six month period before being eligible for promotion to lance corporal.
    Negative, required time in service for promotion to Lance Corporal is 9 months. Time is grade is 8 months.

Meaning you have to meet both requirements to pickup.

So...if you get PFC from recruiting 2 people before you leave for bootcamp (also known as Contract PFC), you have to wait 9 months to pickup Lance Corporal.

UNLESS...you recruit 2 more during bootcamp leave.

Wow thats awesome! Except for the fact thats your going to be in the Reserves I wouldnt want to be in them but thats my personal opinion.

I already have PFC lined up because of JROTC and I have 1 referral already which will get me free Dress Blues after Boot Camp. Its going to be difficult to get 2 referrals during boot camp leave since you only get 10 days. On the other hand if you get RA it could happen.

Yeah...I wouldn't necessarily choose the reserves either...but whatever floats your boat.

For the person above me with the free Dress Blues. DEFINITELY a nice grab there. Those are very expensive to buy so you just saved yourself around $250.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisbrv
    Wow thats awesome! Except for the fact thats your going to be in the Reserves I wouldnt want to be in them but thats my personal opinion.

I already have PFC lined up because of JROTC and I have 1 referral already which will get me free Dress Blues after Boot Camp. Its going to be difficult to get 2 referrals during boot camp leave since you only get 10 days. On the other hand if you get RA it could happen.

same here. i have already gotten 3 people to sign up, so after bootcamp whether i get RA or not, im getting a free set.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yeah, that's why they were rewarding us for switching. No one really wanted to. But from what I'm told I can augment (?) and go active.

Actually Andreas I posted the Marine Corps rules about getting Lance Corporal during bootcamp leave/RA before. I will find it. It would be a merituous promotion so the time in grade would not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by BushdaktaRoy
    Yeah, that's why they were rewarding us for switching. No one really wanted to. But from what I'm told I can augment (?) and go active.
    it will be really hard to go active once youre in the reserves youll have to put in a package and youll more than likely lose rank when switching....

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas
    Negative, required time in service for promotion to Lance Corporal is 9 months. Time is grade is 8 months.

Meaning you have to meet both requirements to pickup.

So...if you get PFC from recruiting 2 people before you leave for bootcamp (also known as Contract PFC), you have to wait 9 months to pickup Lance Corporal.

UNLESS...you recruit 2 more during bootcamp leave.
    Meritorious promotions can be before you are eligible. It is possible to receive LCpl as was described because the promotion is meritorious, not through time in grade/time in service.

That said, if you wanted to be an active duty Marine you'll be disappointed by your decision.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    You can also get meritourisoly promoted to Lance corporal in boot camp if you go in PFC, and then you get honor grad, you also get a free set of dress blues.

BushdaktaRoy: Is your MOS ID 0861 or 0844?

My girlfriends' brother in law was a 0861 and she told me he was a Forward Observer, but after doing some research I learned that 0861 is really Fire Support Man but is also called Forward Observer for some reason. No matter what its called it sounds like a great MOS.

0861 vs 0844

I'll be enlisting soon and I'm hoping I can get 0861.

Thread Information