Question regarding college / OCS
Create Post

Question regarding college / OCS

Im currently enlisted as a Marine Reserve. I'll be attending RT in June, and after that attending my college in the fall.

After four years of college ( plan on obtaining my bachelors) I then intend on putting my package together and getting accepted into OCS.

I was told that all I need is my bachelors degree from college, and then from there we create a package for reviewing of OCS acceptance. So I ask, I am not required to take PLC or any other course while in college to prepare for OCS? ( If RT success, I will be a Marine for four years before sending my info to OCS board)

There are three routes to a commission in your scenario.
    1) Graduate college, apply to OCC. This is the single course for those with college degrees. You receive your commission after completing this course.

2) Apply to PLC. In this program, you'll attend two courses of OCS during the summers. Ideally, after your second summer, you're merely waiting for your college diploma before receiving your commission. I've seen Reservists walk into their college commencement ceremonies wearing their enlisted dress blues, graduate, and then put on thier officer's dress blue blouse before getting their bars. Pretty fun day.

3) You can get selected through the Reserve to go to OCS. If you're really hot and impress a selection board you can win a ticket to Quantico. You would need your Associates degree at a minimum. Then, you would need your bachelor's to get promoted to Captain. I think the only drawback to this route is that you're sent back to the Reserve after completing MOS school. Unlike the vast majority of officers that do their time on Active Duty first.

I'm fairly certain this is still the current scoop. I'm interested to hear from anyone with more info.

Option 1 there is what I plan on doing. I was told it is not necessary to complete PLC while in college because I don't really need to since I'll just be getting my bachelors and then applying for OCS. Oh and once college is over I will be switching over to active duty.

Thanks for the reply, Sir.

You should look into the PLC program. I was looking into either the route you're taking, or the PLC program. And from what my recruiter was telling me there is a lot more money for college availabe to PLC reservist candidates. Unless you don't need money for college and then the OCS program would be a lot better. Personally, I decided to go into the fleet and eventually sing up for the MCEP.

I'm going with option 2. If you go PLC, you should consider doing it as soon as possible, as canidates and officers have told me that the selection for OCC and PLC combined are more competitive.

As for the money for PLCers, I think whats being referred to was the proposal to pay off all loans for college for those commissioned, but last time I checked, thats been shelved due to budget politics.

The important thing to do is to get in contact with your OSO. The sooner, the better. Either way, PLC in 2 increments, PLC combined, or OCC, you need to prove that your hot stuff and get selected.

Definitely contact your OSO ASAP. Weigh all your options. I recommend the PLC Jrs/Srs route. Granted, you will have to attend 2 six-week sessions at OCS (One after freshman or sophomore year depending on when you contact your OSO and one the summer before you are scheduled to graduate).

One thing to keep in mind is the attrition rate, which is high for both OCC (candidates with Bachelor's degrees who will commission upon graduation from OCS) and PLC-Combined (candidates who, after OCS, will return to school for one year, graduate with a Bachelor's degree and commission). Many reasons factor in to the attrition rate, but ten straight weeks is hard on the body. Although the attrition rate is still slightly high for Jrs/Srs, I guarantee it is nowhere near the OCC/PLC-C rate.

If you do the Jrs/Srs route, you will have plenty of time to recover after each session, which ultimately means you should arrive to TBS injury-free. Compared to the OCCers who take 10 days(??) of leave and then report in to TBS, regardless of duty status (full duty, light duty or broken).

Oh....and don't think that OCS is a walk in the park, either. If you thought recruit training was hard, STAND BY because you haven't seen training at its hardest, which brings me to another reason to do Jrs/Srs. You don't know what to expect at OCS (trust me, you don't....no matter what anyone tells you, you have to experience it for yourself to fully understand). If you do Jrs/Srs, you can prepare in a way that you think will get you in shape. You'll go through Jrs, get a small taste of OCS, and realize you weren't as prepared as you should have been. You can then use the following year or two (depending on when you complete Jrs), to KICK YOUR A$$ INTO SHAPE because Srs is the real deal. EVERYTHING YOU DO at Srs (i.e. PT, Billets, Academics, etc) affects whether or not you will graduate and later commission as a "2nd LT of Marines".

Oh....and unlike boot camp, if the staff at OCS doesn't like you, they WILL find a way to keep you from graduating, whether you're dropped at an evaluation board or you DOR (Drop On Request i.e. raise the white flag and surrender).

Being an officer of Marines is NO GUARANTEE!! Like my signature says "GO HARD OR GO HOME!"

I read somewhere you can also do your PLC seniors (second six weeks) after you graduate college. Anyone know if this is true?

Thread Information