Must See Video, Navy Seal (Marcus Luttrell)
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings

Must See Video, Navy Seal (Marcus Luttrell)

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=1774

Marcus Luttrell: Lone Survivor

Marcus Luttrell is the lone survivor of the members of Seal Team 10 who were ambushed in the mountains in Afghanistan. A stunning story of heroism. The team was engaged in a reconnaissance mission when they were discovered by a few unarmed goat herders. The team debated whether they should let the goat herders go, allowing them to return to their village controlled by the Taliban, or execute the goat herders to avoid detection by the enemy. A vote was taken by the team of four. Luttrell cast the deciding vote to let the herders go; A vote that he regrets to this day. "It was a stupid, mind-numbing liberal vote, where I allowed my heart to over-rule my brain." The herders indeed returned to their village, informed the Taliban, and within an hour, the Seal Team was surrounded by hundreds of Taliban fighters. LUttrell was the loan survivor. Well worth the read. His new book is called 'Lone Survivor.' You must see this killer interview with Latrell on the Today Show here.

You need to read ONE BULLET AWAY: MAKING OF A MARINE OFFICER by Captain Nathaniel Fick, former platoon commander in the First Reconnaisance Battalion.

The whole book was a valuable lesson in decisive combat leadership to me.

You don't just go around mowing down unarmed civilians because you think they might be informants.

"If the Seals killed the unarmed civilians, they would violate military rules of engagement; if they let them go, they risked alerting the Taliban. According to Luttrell, one Seal voted to kill them, one voted to spare them and one abstained. It was up to Luttrell.
    Part of his calculus was practical. "I didn't want to go to jail." Ultimately, the core of his decision was moral. "A frogman has two personalities. The military guy in me wanted to kill them," he recalled. And yet: "They just seemed like -- people. I'm not a murderer."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Petty Officer Luttrell made the right decision. It simply did not turn out in his favor. If I were in his position, I would have made the same decision.

SEALs aren't psychic. He had no way to know that these farmers would go and report them to the Taliban.

Why does everything have to be LIBERAL vs CONSERVATIVE to you?? (evidence by your highlighting in bold letters the sentence that had liberal in it)

Petty Officer Luttrell made a COMBAT DECISION. It had NOTHING to do with his personal political ideology. Wake up.

Crawling through the night, as Spanky Peterson's HH-60 flew overhead with other search helicopters, he (LUTRELL) made it to a pool of water. When he lifted his head, he saw an Afghan. He reached for his rifle.

"American!" the villager said, flashing two thumbs-up. "Okay! Okay!"
    "You Taliban?" Luttrell asked.

"No Taliban!"

But he couldn't stand. Three men lifted 240 pounds of dead weight and carried Luttrell to the 15-hut village of Sabray. They took his rifle.

What happened next baffled him. Mohammed Gulab, 33, father of six, fed Luttrell warm goat's milk, washed his wounds and clothed him in what Luttrell called "man jammies."
    "I didn't trust them," Luttrell said. "I was confused. They'd reassure me, but hell, it wasn't in English."
    Hours after his arrival, Taliban fighters appeared and demanded that the villagers surrender the American. They threatened Gulab, Luttrell said, and tried to bribe him. "I was waiting for a good deal to come along and for Gulab to turn me over.

"I'd been in so many villages. I'd be like, 'Up against the wall, and shut the hell up!' So I'm like, why would these people be kind to me?" Luttrell said. "I probably killed one of their cousins. And now I'm shot up, and they're using all the village medical supplies to help me."

On July 1, with Taliban threats intensifying, Gulab's father, the village elder, decided to seek help at a Marine outpost five miles down in the valley. Luttrell wrote a note: "This man gave me shelter and food, and must be helped."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice attempt to cut out bits and pieces of the article to further your "anti-liberal" political agenda.

Read the whole darn thing next time.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by JCam0331
    Nice attempt to cut out bits and pieces of the article to further your "anti-liberal" political agenda.

Read the whole darn thing next time.

You need to back the fuk off... I cut and pasted the first little tid bit about the book I saw... I am ****** sorry it offended your ass.... I honestly had no intent of making this into a political discussion...

I just bought the book and plan to read it this week... Get a Grip...

The part that interested me the most was that interview.. I had seen the msnbc interview on TV the other day.. I had not seen that one and thought it was interesting..

But if you must be a total Arsehole and want to make this a frign political game...

Listen to the interview.. I like the bit about how he wouldn't tell another interviewer how to have sex with his wife and that politicains shouldn't tell him how to fight a war...

Calm the fuk down and take a deep ****** breath and try your best to get some oxygen into that brain of yours and lets discuss what seems like an interesting book, (from what I have read so far, I just picked it up) written by an exceptional human being...

This is a USMC website, remember? Not the ****** Girl Scouts...

Credits
    Savings
    LOL... I just thought of something...

LOL... I guess given the exchanges b/t you and I... and that quote I shouldn't have been so crass in my last post...

I didn't mean to bold that... I forgot that this site allows the text to stay in its original cutted format when it is pasted in...

LOL...

Oh well.... I have been reading the book tonight.. It is certainly an interesting read...

Credits
    Savings
    . He had trouble in survival training because they had to slaughter rabbits: "I didn't want to kill the bunny."
    Talking about one the rescue pilots...... HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA

We used to give that line to army kids at Redstone during my MOS school (about boot camp)

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHHAAA

You need to read ONE BULLET AWAY: MAKING OF A MARINE OFFICER by Captain Nathaniel Fick, former platoon commander in the First Reconnaisance Battalion.

The whole book was a valuable lesson in decisive combat leadership to me.

You don't just go around mowing down unarmed civilians because you think they might be informants.
    I read that book. And Generation Kill that Fick is also in

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLM
    A vote was taken by the team of four. Luttrell cast the deciding vote to let the herders go; A vote that he regrets to this day. "It was a stupid, mind-numbing liberal vote, where I allowed my heart to over-rule my brain."
    I am going to take this one bit out of Holms post to make a NON-political comment.

If this was a team of four, and the hero of the story cast the "deciding vote" that meant three of them must have voted NOT to kill the herders and only one did. How could four people have a vote that required a tie-breaker and get it?

Or is my math wrong?

Credits
    Savings
    The story goes that one voted to kill, one to capture, and one not to kill...

That left his vote..

And I should have picked a better description of the book to post.. I honestly did not intend to politic this one up....

But, political it is, and will continue to be.

This is not a decision that ANY of us should ever be forced to make, gents (and ladies). Until you are in the situation, you have no real idea how you are going to act, no matter the political persuasion.

I want to read the book, for sure.

And, I've read "One Bullet away". It's also a good book.

Lastly, if you believe he made the 'right' decision, you are also using hindsight. His 'right' choice no doubt led to the later events that occurred. So, those who automatically drop down on the side of "we don't kill them because...." without taking a hard look at the situation are wargaming. Which is fine...but pray you never have to make that choice.

What would I have done? I have no earthly idea. And I refuse to judge any decision made in that regard, unless I was there.

That was a very good video. Thanks for the link HOLM. Definetly have to pick that book up . I think he said alot of the things that most Marines and soldiers want to say . Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36
    I am going to take this one bit out of Holms post to make a NON-political comment.

If this was a team of four, and the hero of the story cast the "deciding vote" that meant three of them must have voted NOT to kill the herders and only one did. How could four people have a vote that required a tie-breaker and get it?

Or is my math wrong?
    The article said one of them abstained from the vote.

Holm - from the part you outlined in bold, it looked as if you were making a political statement. I apologize if I was wrong.

Thank you for the book recommendation. I will pick it up when I get the chance as well.

Credits
    Savings
    The article said one of them abstained from the vote.

Holm - from the part you outlined in bold, it looked as if you were making a political statement. I apologize if I was wrong.

Thank you for the book recommendation. I will pick it up when I get the chance as well.
    No Problem... The wife was on my case and I responded in the mood I was in....

LOL.....

google this

"Marcus Luttrell Lone Survivor"

The first site
    that popped up had a little cut that was almost what I was looking for so I used it...

HAHAHAHHAHAHA...

I didn't think anything of it at the time... but.

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH

The website that little bit of text came from is..... (drum roll please)

Neocon Express

http://neoconexpress.blogspot.com/20...-survivor.html

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAA...

I wasn't thinking in the political sense.. I was only interested in the military aspect (of which in this case there is a moral issue as well as political)

So I guess that part was probably outlined in bold for political reasons.. I just didn't intend it that way...

I will try harder to clean it up next time...

I just thought you would have been smart enough to know that I MEANT to say .... "IN MY LIFETIME"

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA

This story has intrigued me since It first came to light. I'll go out and purchase the book as soon as I find it.

As for the debate in the thread: I'm so paranoid I would have definitely voted to kill them, right then and there. But who knows, maybe those men knew the villager, and that could have been what saved Luttrell's life? We'll have to read the book to find out.

Thread Information