Becoming a Marine...
Create Post

Becoming a Marine...

I am currently a Marketing student at the University of Houston and have a STRONG desire to become a Marine after I graduate this December. Although I need a few concerns addressed. Please help however possible!

1) What will be the average projected path I'll be taking. According to my knowledge (which is very limited... Bare with me!), first is OCS, then TBS, then MOS. Also what is the length for each program?

2) How does having a 4-year college graduate degree help or hurt my chances of becoming a decent soldier?

3) What are my best occupational options for the Marines considering I'll possess a Bachelors degree in Marketing? I initially had a strong interest in the Judge Advocate Program, but I'd be more satisfied in a position that corresponds with my prior education.

4) Possibly the most sensitive issue, as a college graduate intending to attend Officer School, what are my chances of being deployed to the Middle East in comparison to joining the Corp as an enlistee?

Thanks!

- Justin

Edit to add:
    You got lucky, I typed this before I noticed you hadn't filled out your profile. You need to read the rules in the poolee section. Completing your profile is mandatory. Since you're about to graduate I'm positive you can read!

1. There are two ways to go through OCS. Since you are about to graduate your path will be 10 weeks at OCC. TBS is six months long. Individual MOS schools are different lengths depending on the MOS.

2. Marines are not soldiers. As for being a Marine, it is the only way to become an officer- since you want to do that it helps a lot. I knew enlisted people with degress- it had nothing to do with how good of a Marine they were.

3. JAG is for lawyers. So, unless you intend to go to law school that isn't an option. Your degree in marketing will get you in the door. The job you have may or may not have anything to do with your degree. Since the Marine Corps doesn't sell anything other than itself, there is a strong chance that you you will not be involved in marketing.

4. There is no difference in the ability to be deployed as an officer or enlisted Marine. Marines fight, that's what we're here for. There is a very good chance (I'd guess over 95%) that you will be deployed to a combat zone during your obligated time in the Marine Corps.

1) Is there a usual time during the year that the OCS program starts. After reading through pamphlets, my assumption was that it's during the Summer.

2) I apologize for the misconception. I've read that enlistees have an advantage since they began serving since high school. Does that mean I am at a disadvantage since I bypassed that route and will enter OCS with no prior military knowledge?

3) Law school is something I've already been considering. Is there a law program within the Marine Corp? Otherwise, what purpose does the JAG program serve?

4) After reading through various sources, I was under the impression that the war was being fought on the enlisted level. Having said that, I always wondered what good a law student would be on the battle field crediting my assumption that there would be a decreased chance of my being deployed. Not that I wouldn't feel prievlaged to serve my country in war but this question is mainly to give piece of mind to family and friends who oppose my decision to enlist primarly due to their concerns that I'll be deployed.

Thank you for your timely response.

You will go through rigorous training to make you capable of leading Marines. Your training will include military customs and courtesies and you will learn about the military. If you decide this is the route you want to take you will be surrounded by good NCO's and SNCO's that wont let you fail. Prove yourself a worthy officer and they will develop a fierce loyalty to you. On the other hand if you sit around and air out hopes that you will not be deployed they will have no use for you. Let your family know that if you do this you WILL be deployed at one point or another and their is a great likelihood that you will be leading Marines in combat. If you are not sure, then don't do it. The Marines that you lead in combat have to know that you are 100% committed to them. If you do decide to do it, best of luck!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by envus89
    4) After reading through various sources, I was under the impression that the war was being fought on the enlisted level. Having said that, I always wondered what good a law student would be on the battle field crediting my assumption that there would be a decreased chance of my being deployed. Not that I wouldn't feel prievlaged to serve my country in war but this question is mainly to give piece of mind to family and friends who oppose my decision to enlist primarly due to their concerns that I'll be deployed.
    I know a Captain that has already done 2 tours in Iraq.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand WHY folks want to join the Corps (or any other branch for that matter) but, NOT get deployed OR do whatever it is the Corps is here for ANYWAY!

What do you think the military is here for son?

There is a program that will be something like PLC for you if you're going to law school. Call the OSO and tell him you're interested.

Enlisted people don't go to war without their officers. Sure, the numbers of KIA for enlisted are much higher, but so are their overall numbers. Officers are there. If you didn't need them to fight a war, we wouldn't have them.

Many enlisted people, particularly senior enlisted do believe that there is something wrong with a system that will make them answer to a 22 year old kid that just graduated from college. That said, as an Officer of Marines you will be given the tools you need to lead these people. The best advice I can give any new platoon commander is to take the Platoon Sgt. aside and tell him that you KNOW he has more experience than you could imagine and that you want his input and help. If you reach out and let them know you're not going to run all over them, they'll do all they can to ensure you have success.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    Enlisted people don't go to war without their officers. Sure, the numbers of KIA for enlisted are much higher, but so are their overall numbers. Officers are there. If you didn't need them to fight a war, we wouldn't have them.
    If you look closely, you will see a higher proportion of Marine officers KIA than any other branch. This is due to the fact that we are almost exclusively a combat force AND our officers (the good ones) lead from the front.

If you don't want to deploy, pick another profession.
    If you're looking to use your degree, pick another profession.

If you want to kill Haji or directly support others that do, you're coming to the right place.

wha tyou can do is a program called PLC

you do your OCS training in the summer time if you start your junior year you will do 10 weeks each summer and earn your commision afterwards..

You also choose ground side or air side. Personally i recommend doing the PLC program you can also get any student loans you have pell etc anything tahts from the dept of education paid for but if you do get the Marine Corps to pay for them you are obligated to join after you complete PLC program.

You have to maintain a C avg in school as well.. best bet that is the route to go in my opinion

Hey Killer,
    He graduates this December.

Thanks everyone for the great info. It really saves time from having to decipher through the various responses from a recruiter.

I have always had the upmost respect for the Marines since I was a kid which is why, to this day, I've never even considered enlisting in any other branch. The reason why I'm so compelled is because I commend the comrarderie Marines share with one another and their willingness to serve their country in time of need at the drop of a hat.

I'm well aware that there is a war in the Middle East right now and I understand the duties that Marines have at these times. I am also very open to the possibility of being deployed to serve in Iraq if I choose to enlist. This doesn't bother me. As a matter of fact, I think being involved in military combat is an experience that not too many people have the capability of doing. In summary, I would be more than proud to serve as Marine and even prouder to tell my kids that I served in combat overseas for my country. My problem is that aside from my elderly mother (who means everything to me) being widowed 5 years ago, nobody I talk to seems to understand my reasons for wanting to enlist after I've worked so hard to acquire a college degree. They think that I have a death wish although in truth, I know that the Marines can mold me into a better, stronger person. But all that my family and friends think about is "why do you wanna go to the Marines in the middle of a war" afterwhich they give me this disgusting look like I'm stupid and suicidal. The only defense I have is telling them the unlikeliness of my being deployed. I joined this forum looking for reinforcement for that claim which, at no fault to any of you who helpfully replied, ended up in disappointment.

The point is, I don't know what to tell people anymore. Personally, I've considered being deployed overseas to serve in combat and that's something I'd be proud to do. But I can't seem to find any reasons to ease the minds of the people closest to me who think that I'm a moron for wanting to enlist.

hello envus89. don't lie to your family by saying you won't get deploy because when you do get deployed, they gonna know you've lied. it is not your job to ease the minds of your family on decisions for yourself. whatever path you want to take, it is your choice. family will always be your family and will get over your decision in joining whether they like it or not and eventually support you.

You don't have to "explain" a ****ing thing to your family or anybody else. Why should you feel the need to apologize for wanting to serve your country in a time of need? If they don't understand, then oh well. If you decide to join, then do it to better yourself and to serve the needs of the Marine Corps and the Nation, not to make your family happy. I see a major problem with people that think someone is "a moron for wanting to enlist" as you said.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by envus89
    The point is, I don't know what to tell people anymore. Personally, I've considered being deployed overseas to serve in combat and that's something I'd be proud to do. But I can't seem to find any reasons to ease the minds of the people closest to me who think that I'm a moron for wanting to enlist.
    OHHHHHHHH! Why didn't you just SAY THAT??

A good thing to tell them is you think it's cool to be a part of something. Tell them that there have been thousands before you that have put their lives on the line to make sure YOUR generation could be as free as you are - you think it's YOUR time to give back to make sure that the next generation has the same freedom.

Nobody will ever understand your decision so, just let them keep looking at you like you're crazy as hell. They'll give it to you until the day you ship. As long as YOU feel you're doing the right thing, forget about 'em!

Thread Information