What does an average recruit score on the IST?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What does an average recruit score on the IST?

What would be the number of pull ups, crunches, and run time for an average new recruit, running the first IST on the island?

hmm i think its pass fail kinda thing... since an IST isnt a PFT

Just pass it and move on. Average when I went was perfect on situps (we didn't do crunches then), 10 pull ups or so, and about 9:30-11:00 on the run.

No one keep score for the IST. They just seperate you if you fail a portion of it so you can be dropped to PCP.

Today was -10 pull ups, 70 crunches and 12.5min run. (new guys)
    I did 13/102/11.5
    I didnt do 2 pull ups correctly.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanCoffey
    What would be the number of pull ups, crunches, and run time for an average new recruit, running the first IST on the island?
    The minimum standards for passing the Initial Strength Test are as follows:
    Male
    Female
    2 Pull Ups Flexed Arm Hange - 12 seconds
    35 Sit Ups (2 minutes) 35 Sit Ups (2 Minutes)
    1.5 Mile Run - 13:30 1 Mile Run - 10:30
    In Accordance with Marine Corps Order (MCO) P1100.72B - MILITARY PERSONNEL ROCUREMENT MANUAL, VOLUME 2, ENLISTED PROCUREMENT, paragraph 3274, all Marine Corps recruits, male and female, requiring recruit training (boot camp) are required to pass the IST prior to shipping to recruit training. All Marine Corps recruits who do not require recruit training will pass the standard Marine Corps PFT.

Are there waivers if you can pass the IST?

You mean if you fail the IST can you get a waiver for it?

No. Although I've read on this forum that some senior DI's can choose to "keep" you in their platoon if they feel you can still hack it.

I can pass the IST with ease!!! I can do 3 Pull-ups, max out on Crunches and I have a 11:47 1.5 mile run.
    I was wondering since I'm over weight could I get the waiver, since I'm able enough to start training.

Edit; My mistake, can't pass the IST with ease, but I can pass the IST.

I passed my IST.

Pull-ups: 11 (pronated grip w/elbow lockout)

Sit-ups: 75 (I was doing full sit-ups the whole time before being corrected)
    1.5 mile run: 12 minutes flat

My IST scores aren't that great compared to the super-poolees on this site but I'm improving!

You probably will pass Coffey. Many Marines on this site and other places told me the IST is the least thing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneRJ
    I can pass the IST with ease!!! I can do 3 Pull-ups, max out on Crunches and I have a 11:47 1.5 mile run.
    I was wondering since I'm over weight could I get the waiver, since I'm able enough to start training.

Edit; My mistake, can't pass the IST with ease, but I can pass the IST.
    if you pass the IST and are overweight you wont go to PCP if thats what you are asking. You will just be a diet recruit and everyone will know it as you paint red strips on your PT cloths etc..

For everyone else keep in mind that you guys will do this the first week after you guys have been up and tired and stressed so dont go to bootcamp trying to do the minimum because you never know if you will be too tired to perform. So get rest before you leave to that MEPS stations on your final day. Try to start letting your muscles rest if you guys are doing working out i dont mean like a month of rest but imi sure you guys get the point.

Cpl. What I was trying to ask is. With me being overweight, and can pass the IST, would I be able to get a waiver to start training?

Avoiding PCP is starting training. PCP is Physical Conditioning Platoon, where all the recruits go that are out of shape. Dude, Killer Instinct already told you.

Dude, no he hasn't. From what he has told me, dosen't answer my question. I'm overweight by the Marine Corps standard, but by Marine Corps standard I'm in shape to start training. Now, I'm wondering if my recruiter could give me a waiver so I would be able to get to Parris Island.

Now he did tell me if I was overweight and took the IST at P.I. and passed it then yeah, but my question is how do can I possibly get there if I'm overweight? Not looking for a easier way or anything, hell If i have to loose 17 more lbs, then i'll just loose it.

You didn't go through MEPS yet?

Thread Information