0621 in the fleet
Create Post

0621 in the fleet

Currently, I just graduated from MCT and I'm starting my 14 days of leave for xmas before I ship to 29 Palms, CA for MOS training in the 0621 field radio operator field. I initially signed up as a 6+2 Reservist so that I could also attend school. But once I get to MOS school I plan on putting in for a change to Active Duty. My question is, what is it like as an AD 0621 Marine in the fleet. Whats a typical day/week like. I know there's no such thing as a "typical" day/week but just a brief overview of what it's like is all I'm asking. Thanks for the help in advance.

And also if you're going to ask why I signed up as a Reservist instead of just going AD, I wanted to go to school but I spent 6 months in Boot Camp due to 2 months of being in EHP for pnemonia and than with 3 weeks at MCT, being in the Marines full time sort to speak has really grown on me and I've greatly enjoyed my time so far and I want to expand that into an AD career so I'm switching over. Thanks again for the help. Take care all. AIM: BigWayne3000

I can tell you they work hard. Always in the cage taking are of Comm. Wire plt, boy they can dig and get wired layed fast.

I was radio guy for my Mortar plt , it sucked humping with a 119 on your chest and carrying all that gear , I was the Ammo man also.

There is 9th Comm in Camp Pendelton, 7th Comm in Okinawa- CTA aka Camp Hansen and 8th Comm in Camp Lejeune.

Learn everything you can, speak to guys in the Fleet while you are there.

You are over by AAVs and Tanks , I don't believe I miss the Stumps.

S/F,
    CEYA!

Wayne, it depends what unit you get assigned to. If you end up in an infantry unit, you will at times be humping a radio in the field. (Although, it will usually be a grunt doing that.) If you end up at a Communications Bn. or Communications Squadron, you will be going to the field and staying static, in place, most of the time.

It is a good job. It was my secondary MOS on active duty and my primary in the reserves. There is no limit of what you can do and where you can go just because everyone talks on the radio.

While you are in MCCES at MCAGCC 29 Palms, I have one piece of advice. Don't eat in the school show hall, go to the Tanker's chow hall or the grunt's chow hall. Both are much better. Oh, and the E-Club has great chili cheese fries.

Tanks is closer, 7th Marines chow hall is on the other side. He may get lost and not make it back in time.

S/F,
    CEYA!

I did it for the 7 months I was in comm school, at least for evening chow. Lunch was usually tanks or the roach coach. I tried to stay away from the MCCES chow hall at all times, and that includes when I went back to 29 Palms after I was in the fleet.

how long is 0621 training?

how long is x621 training?

E4B, those were some true words of wisdom.

While looking at MCCES's website I realized I had 3 jobs with the way things are set up now. My MOS (2532) split into 2 (0622/0623) and to get that you had to be a 2531 (0621). Pretty cool stuff.

Anyway, the 0621 school is 8 weeks. Usually you'll spend a week or so at 29 Palms before you're ready to start school.

If you're a RO attached to a grunt unit, you will be a part of that grunt platoon and do everything with that platoon no different than if you were an 11, 31, 41, 51, or 52. Only difference is you'll be humping a hell of a lot more weight, good times.

Unless you're with H&S. I'm glad to see that the 0621s are doing grunt stuff. Most of the grunt units I worked with usually had a grunt carrying the radio and all of the 0621s were with HQ.

Thread Information