Grunts
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grunts

Grunts

All Grunts Speak up. Whats the best thing about being a grunt? Whats the promotion rate like? Barracks? Field life? Weapons? Tell me how it is like to me a grunt. Im stoked, but give me a general idea.

Cool

Dude, here's the stuff.

When you hear someone say, "I worked WITH the grunts."
    They are lying out their teeth.

NO ONE works with the grunts, they work FOR the grunts.

Promotion is slow, unless you are 0321.
    Barracks are the worst, cause they want you away from other people as much as possible to avoid the fights.

Your average day is PT, sit around waiting on "the word", lunch, Sit around waiting for "the word", formation, "the word"

my advice to you is this,
    1. PT. Alot! More than you are now. it only helps when you are humping.
    2. Don't cry. Grunts are mean, especially to each other, if you show weakness, they laugh, point, and harrass you...but it makes you tougher.
    3. Don't EVER talk to your Sgt about a personal problem without FIRST going to your team leader/Sqd leader.
    4. Don't quit. If the humps get long and hard, don't give up your gear.
    5. Remember, you signed up to do a dirty job. It's NOT a video game, it's NOT a movie, it's real. You may be called to kill. You may be asked to go into harms way. This is what you signed up for. Forget about the college benifits, you don't have that much time to take classes. Use them when you get out.

Quote Originally Posted by chili77bowl
    Dude, here's the stuff.

When you hear someone say, "I worked WITH the grunts."
    They are lying out their teeth.

NO ONE works with the grunts, they work FOR the grunts.

Promotion is slow, unless you are 0321.
    Barracks are the worst, cause they want you away from other people as much as possible to avoid the fights.

Your average day is PT, sit around waiting on "the word", lunch, Sit around waiting for "the word", formation, "the word"

my advice to you is this,
    1. PT. Alot! More than you are now. it only helps when you are humping.
    2. Don't cry. Grunts are mean, especially to each other, if you show weakness, they laugh, point, and harrass you...but it makes you tougher.
    3. Don't EVER talk to your Sgt about a personal problem without FIRST going to your team leader/Sqd leader.
    4. Don't quit. If the humps get long and hard, don't give up your gear.
    5. Remember, you signed up to do a dirty job. It's NOT a video game, it's NOT a movie, it's real. You may be called to kill. You may be asked to go into harms way. This is what you signed up for. Forget about the college benifits, you don't have that much time to take classes. Use them when you get out.
    That gives me warm fuzzies.

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    Define GRUNT

0311, 0321, 0331, 0341, 0351(52)

At first glance, most consider anything in the 03 field a GRUNT. I'm an 0341, mortarman. In my case, 81mm.

I don't consider myself a TRUE grunt, but will answer to the title. By definition the mortars are SUPPORT, but so are machineguns (31s) and anti-tank assault (51s, 52s). In actual practice ALL are used as needed to fulfill the Marine doctrine.

Outside Najaf, (2004?) it was an 0341 platoon enduring most of the fighting in the cemetary as we were clearing the way for the Iraqis to take back control of the mosque.

So ALL will need to know the 0311 doctrine... 'close with and destroy the enemy...'

A days routine ??
    In the field or garrison ??

In the field, hump and train all day and night. eat, sleep, change socks, pi$$ and crap when you can. Over and Over.
    Oh... and dig and fill in fighting positions (not fox holes).

In garrison, clean and learn. Close order drill and Fk Fk games. PT
    Rake the sand
    Water the grass (in the rain)
    Clean weapons
    Prepare for inspection
    Again
    Over and Over

What's it like ?? For me, the field was what it meant to be a Marine. Others hated it.
    I hated garrison, but others loved it. You'll have to decide for yourself.

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanWicks07
    That gives me warm fuzzies.
    Be sure and tell your Drill Instructor, that he gives you "WARM FUZZIES"

Quote Originally Posted by mrbsox
    Be sure and tell your Drill Instructor, that he gives you "WARM FUZZIES"
    i'll pass

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I'm a GRUNT 0311..Retired a GRUNT0369...and I (NOT a female sheep) would be very interested in what your definition of WARM & FUZZIES exactly are ????

Quote Originally Posted by SeanWicks07
    i'll pass
    The words you're looking for are "Aye, Aye, Sir!"

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper
    I'm a GRUNT 0311..Retired a GRUNT0369...and I (NOT a female sheep) would be very interested in what your definition of WARM & FUZZIES exactly are ????
    LOL! I had to wipe my monitor off AGAIN!

i was out with a corporal once and he told me going to iraq gave him warm fuzzies. not the kind when your about to get laid by some stripper during leave but a feeling like your oding something that is worth the life you have been given. so i have been using it

The greatest part about being in a line platoon in a victor unit (0311 in a deployable unit) is knowing that everyone in the Corps is there to "SUPPORT" you. If there were no line platoons there would be no Marine Corps. Being the heart and soul of the green machine gives you a certain sense of pride that no other Marine could ever have.

Yes, life will really suck until you pick up Cpl, then it will just suck. But it is worth the hassell. Grunts get payed to walk around in the great outdoors and shoot sh!t. What more could you want. Ask to be the SAW Gunner when you get to the fleet. No 0311 can be a good leader in the infantry if he doesen't know how to use the M249, being a gunner is the best and fastest way to learn it.

you also have to have a very big ego is another requirement judgin on the 03's i have met and as you can see how they refer to POG's.

wheres my **** stirring stick im need the big one for this???

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    How many times have I told you Killer? DON'T POKE THE BEAR!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Many is the time we were not given liberty at the same time as the cannon cockers, bb stackers, pencil pushers, shame train riders, chow slingers, bomb droppers, box counters, brown nosers, pogues, desk jockeys ect. Mainly because there might be a small disagreement somewhere along the way. Liberty was eventually granted because the cold water in the rain room wouldn't take the war paint off and they didn't serve beer in the chow hall.

exvrpy is the case on ship when most grunts are on their down time snapping in while we work 14 hour shifts and most ordies never see a chow hall for lunch as you are always busy.....

Thread Information