A Question About Pogues Vs Combat Vets - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    LadyLeatherneck
    Guest Free Member

Re: 2 cents

Originally posted by dnelson
    LL what about the Maint BN Capt Purple Heart in Somalia. Or those from Maint BN who got there Combat Action ribbon from Desert Storm. There were those that were used as decoys when the Ground attack started. I can't remember the Name of the town but Some Maint Bn Marines were given the task of holding the town and Making it look like it was a much larger unit.
    We're pouges till the action starts. Not like me got stuck and never saw the action. Out of 20 years always peace. Or in the wrong coast, or On Okinawa. Or like the last time I was just coming out of ICU(From a heart attack) when Kuwati was invaded. Had to stand by as my Marines went over that sucked.

Semper Fi
    I sure remember that Captain. That was Captain Steele and he got hit in the knee over in Somalia. I typed that purple heart in his OQR and you're right Nelson I think everytime the sh!t hit
    the fan Maint Bn was called. When I checked into MaintBn in
    June of 1992 every Marine in the admin shop had been in Desert
    Storm and they were not out there doing Admin. They shared
    alot of stories and pictures with me and really broke down the
    new boot in the office (me). I'm thankful that I had the honor
    to serve with combat veterans. They were a tough bunch and
    never gave me any slack. They're the ones that named me
    "Hardcharger". The boot PFC with the Marine Corps sticker on
    her car so damn motivated...LOL!! Gosh they gave me so much sh!t for that, but
    funny thing is...I still have a Marine Corps sticker on my car

Semper Fi

Re: Beatin a Dead Horse

Originally posted by USMC0311
    I am Proud to be a Marine. I am even more Proud that I was given the privlage of being a Marine 0311. I was also allowed the Honor of distinguising my Patroitism, By Helping to defend Our Country as part of the Finest Fighting unit in the world.

I also have had the opportunity to be a Garrison Marine. I worked at OCS Quantico Va for 5 Candidates Series. I was a Logistics and Supply NCO (property NCO),

I Was the same Marine in Admin as I was In Vietnam.

I Do Know One Sure Thing about My Beloved Corps!!
    There is no Greater Love than that between, Combat Marines..Unconditional Love!!

Semper Fidelis, Marines!!
    Bro, I hear ya.....my last duty station before I got out was at Parris Island.....due to the wounds in Nam, they weren't bad enough for a medical discharge, but they were bad enuff for the Corps to relieve me of my 03 MOS duties....besides, wasn't too much need of a "Flameman" at Parris Island....they didn't have no sh!tters for me to burn !!!!.....last 7 months was in an office and I worked for none other Medal of Honor recipient J. J. McGinty.....anyway, bottom line is I'd much rather been smellin mud than ink !!!! And yer right.........STRONGEST BOND IN THE WORLD !!!!

J. J. McGinty

Dane, what rank was McGinty when you worked for him? He was awarded the MOH (along with his company commander) for his actions as a SSgt with Kilo 3/4 during Operation Prairie in '66. I was in Mike 3/4 at the time, and last time I saw him he had been commissioned as a 2dLt. By the way, this week marks the 36th anniversary of the start of Operation Hastings, another rough one for 3/4, especially Kilo Co. Kilo's CO, Capt J J Carroll, was KIA on Hastings, and our Chaplain, Stan Beach, lost a leg. Camp Carroll was named in memory of J J Carroll, one tough SOB and a helluva Marine. Semper Fidelis, Frank

Re: J. J. McGinty

Originally posted by Frank
    Dane, what rank was McGinty when you worked for him? He was awarded the MOH (along with his company commander) for his actions as a SSgt with Kilo 3/4 during Operation Prairie in '66. I was in Mike 3/4 at the time, and last time I saw him he had been commissioned as a 2dLt. By the way, this week marks the 36th anniversary of the start of Operation Hastings, another rough one for 3/4, especially Kilo Co. Kilo's CO, Capt J J Carroll, was KIA on Hastings, and our Chaplain, Stan Beach, lost a leg. Camp Carroll was named in memory of J J Carroll, one tough SOB and a helluva Marine. Semper Fidelis, Frank
    Bro, if'n my memory serves me correctly he was a 1st Louie !!!
    I respect him for his actions in Vietnam, and I have read the citation, and no doubt he deserved to receive the MOH......However he was one egotistacal azzhole at PI...remember the Old Magazines for men such as "Stag" and "Men Only"......he had stacks and stacks of them in his office to give away because his story was printed in some issues of them.....anyway, I served under him the last part of 68 and up to March 69........Quick lil story.......Parris Island was my last duty station and I worked part time at night in the SNCO club waiting tables and washing dinner (had already met my bride and needed mo money),,,I got along great with the Gunny that managed the bar at night......One night McGinty has OD and comes in the Bar and looks at the Gunny and sez....." How bout a drink for the Hero??"..........the Gunny sez, "Sir, you not supposed to drink on duty"........McGinty sez...." Hey Gunny, ain't nobody gonna know but you , me and the LCpl there (me)......the Gunny looks at me, then back at him and sez, OK.....the Gunny pours a shot in the glass, and chugs it down himself.......Sh!t, McGinty storms out o there without sayin another word.....we like to sh!t ourselves laffin so hard.......

Re: Re: Beatin a Dead Horse

Originally posted by NamGrunt68

Bro, I hear ya.....my last duty station before I got out was at Parris Island.....due to the wounds in Nam, they weren't bad enough for a medical discharge, but they were bad enuff for the Corps to relieve me of my 03 MOS duties....besides, wasn't too much need of a "Flameman" at Parris Island....they didn't have no sh!tters for me to burn !!!!.....last 7 months was in an office and I worked for none other Medal of Honor recipient J. J. McGinty.....anyway, bottom line is I'd much rather been smellin mud than ink !!!! And yer right.........STRONGEST BOND IN THE WORLD !!!!
    Bro, wherever ya go ina Marine Corps, there'll be a sh!tter fer ya ta burn!
    last couple months I did before I got out was inventory for a new tractor Co. CoC 2ndAMTRAC Bn.---Lord, I wuz bored! much rather been haulin' grunts, re-supplyin' em, or just plain 'tracin' thru da Nam, dodgin' mines! Damn that sounds crazy--but, it's the truth. glad ta be 'home', but sure missed muh Bros!!

Re: Re: Re: Beatin a Dead Horse

Originally posted by arzach

Bro, wherever ya go ina Marine Corps, there'll be a sh!tter fer ya ta burn!
    last couple months I did before I got out was inventory for a new tractor Co. CoC 2ndAMTRAC Bn.---Lord, I wuz bored! much rather been haulin' grunts, re-supplyin' em, or just plain 'tracin' thru da Nam, dodgin' mines! Damn that sounds crazy--but, it's the truth. glad ta be 'home', but sure missed muh Bros!!
    Bro.....I miss em too.......I surely do........

Re: Re: J. J. McGinty

Originally posted by NamGrunt68

Bro, if'n my memory serves me correctly he was a 1st Louie !!!
    I respect him for his actions in Vietnam, and I have read the citation, and no doubt he deserved to receive the MOH......However he was one egotistacal azzhole at PI....
    You hit the nail on the head about his ego, Dane. I didn't know him very well, but he sure had that cocky attitude when he joined Kilo. A couple of Bro's from boot camp were in his platoon (one was KIA in the Kilo ambush), and they thought he was a pr*ck. Sure couldn't question his leadership during that ambush, though. We lost a lot of Bro's that week. Semper Fidelis, Frank

Thread Information