Closed bases
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closed bases

Closed bases

Have you been back ??

I was in El Toro CA from 90 to 93 with a short 1 year tour in Saudi the first time. Anyways My wife which I met in Orange County when i was in the Marines. Went back to California last year and visited the places where we ran around to when we first got together and EVERYTHING CHANGED SO MUCH. But I must say I was greatly disappointed in the Marine Base at looked like south Compton or a town out in the desert that has not seen a vistor in 25 years, Just a shame they couldnt do something good with the place which I had to many memories

Semper Fi my friends

I have been back to the "pit", it has grown alot! We used to call Havelock "Havenot", but not anymore!

I was at El Toro twice (73/74 & 76/77). I re-upped just to go back. At the time I was stationed at MCAS Beaufort...can you blame me? I have always wondered how the base might look like now. That was where I pulled my best duty. Anyone else out there have any recent pics to post?

What has happened at El Toro is a shame. When they closed El Toro and Tustin in 97, the plan was Tustin would become part of the city of Tustin with housing, a college and parks and El Toro would become an alternative to John Wayne Airport. The people of Irvine and cities south-Aliso Viejo et al effectively killed the airport plan. Now the mayor of Irvine is in charge of the El Toro plan.
    MCAS Tustin meanwhile has been cleaned up and is in the process of becoming a nice neighborhood. The only downside is only one of the hangers will survive the transition. I was stationed at El Toro 86-88 and Tustin 88-91. Did my reserve time with MALS 46 at El Toro and Miramar. I bought a house in Tustin in 94 and moved to PA in 2000.

Geiger 1 sends

Beaufort is 10x better than New River or Cherry Point imho! I always thought of Beaufort as Tustin East.

the thriving metropolis of havenot......... hahahahahahah

beaufort is alot better imo

Did school at El Toro in '76. the F-4's took off right over our squad bay. It would shake you out of your rack! Ahhhhh for the good ole days.

I too have fond memories of El Toro. I was there from Sept. 1975 to Sept 1977 with MWCS 38. It's also where I got my pilot's license, at the Aero Club. Too bad it had to close down.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When I hear the name "EL TORO" I remember my trip across the pond. It started there at El Toro at 0330 one fine morning in September 1969. My last view of the "WORLD" was dark! That was my last look at the USA for several months!

Yep El Toro MAS was the disembarkation point for many a Marine during the Nam war! That was the one and only time I was there!

Tustin hangars

My longtime civilian friend who I met when I was at Tustin, took a great black and white photo of the hangars from his storage just over the fence in town. It is cool, maybe when he comes out for a visit next week, I will get permission to scan and post.

He also sent me the front page of the local paper showing the closing day ceremony for El Toro. Pretty wild to think it is not the same .

Anyone who is active notice any shortcomings to the Marine Corps Mission now that those bases are closed?

I'm gonna field day my house next week while on vacation. I will dig up some old El Toro pix so I can scan & post them. I hope some others will do the same. BTW...I noticed on some recent maps that the old orange groves are now house sub-divisions. What a shame. We use to ride motorcycles through the groves at night. As we use to also speed down Trabuco Rd. What memories.

Quote Originally Posted by azrealtor
    Have you been back ??

I was in El Toro CA from 90 to 93 with a short 1 year tour in Saudi the first time. Anyways My wife which I met in Orange County when i was in the Marines. Went back to California last year and visited the places where we ran around to when we first got together and EVERYTHING CHANGED SO MUCH. But I must say I was greatly disappointed in the Marine Base at looked like south Compton or a town out in the desert that has not seen a vistor in 25 years, Just a shame they couldnt do something good with the place which I had to many memories

Semper Fi my friends
    they gave it to uc irvine or something like that. I was only there for a month before my squadron moved down to miramar in 98 but took bout 2 years for the transition to come completely.. but now that i look back on the date WOW im getting old as ****..

But for the short time i was there i like el toro as far as the base had more trees and less ****ing dirt and shrubs that is down in miramar

I was at El Toro in 71. Was there during the earthquake had a 5 ton on jack stands in our hanger quake shook it so hard slid truck across the deck 2 ft. did not fall off stands. Love to watch the Drag Races while on guard duty,and the all night mess halls.

Quote Originally Posted by geiger1 View Post
    What has happened at El Toro is a shame. When they closed El Toro and Tustin in 97, the plan was Tustin would become part of the city of Tustin with housing, a college and parks and El Toro would become an alternative to John Wayne Airport. The people of Irvine and cities south-Aliso Viejo et al effectively killed the airport plan. Now the mayor of Irvine is in charge of the El Toro plan.
    MCAS Tustin meanwhile has been cleaned up and is in the process of becoming a nice neighborhood. The only downside is only one of the hangers will survive the transition. I was stationed at El Toro 86-88 and Tustin 88-91. Did my reserve time with MALS 46 at El Toro and Miramar. I bought a house in Tustin in 94 and moved to PA in 2000.

Geiger 1 sends

Beaufort is 10x better than New River or Cherry Point imho! I always thought of Beaufort as Tustin East.
    What was your exact unit there? I was across from the firestation from 88-90.Usually went to CAX ex's at 29 palms and a WestPac tour.

Quote Originally Posted by maspotente2 View Post
    I'm gonna field day my house next week while on vacation. I will dig up some old El Toro pix so I can scan & post them. I hope some others will do the same. BTW...I noticed on some recent maps that the old orange groves are now house sub-divisions. What a shame. We use to ride motorcycles through the groves at night. As we use to also speed down Trabuco Rd. What memories.
    Please do,it would be nice to remember again.

Quote Originally Posted by maspotente2 View Post
    It's been over 2yrs, have you completed that field day yet? I was at ElToro in '78 and would love to see those pics?

Thread Information