Closed bases - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Closed bases

Hah! You got me there Marine. Field day is complete. I did find some pics. I will scan and post them this weekend. Too busy during the week. What unit were you with? MP's?

Quote Originally Posted by geiger1 View Post
    What has happened at El Toro is a shame. When they closed El Toro and Tustin in 97, the plan was Tustin would become part of the city of Tustin with housing, a college and parks and El Toro would become an alternative to John Wayne Airport. The people of Irvine and cities south-Aliso Viejo et al effectively killed the airport plan. Now the mayor of Irvine is in charge of the El Toro plan.
    MCAS Tustin meanwhile has been cleaned up and is in the process of becoming a nice neighborhood. The only downside is only one of the hangers will survive the transition. I was stationed at El Toro 86-88 and Tustin 88-91. Did my reserve time with MALS 46 at El Toro and Miramar. I bought a house in Tustin in 94 and moved to PA in 2000.

Geiger 1 sends

Beaufort is 10x better than New River or Cherry Point imho! I always thought of Beaufort as Tustin East.
    Actually it officially closed in July of 99- and became a MCAF for a short period of time.

I went by last year on my way to CLNC from Hawaii.... it is very sad how things turned out. At least they are keeping one hanger. I remember hearing at one time that they are the largest free standing wooden structures in North America.

was at El Toro from 77-81 my home was only an hour from there re-uped to go there

Here's a link with a bunch of pics of El Toro in a slide show.

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/j...wn_7-29-08.php

Just scroll down to about mid page and you'll see them.

I remember my old Gunny was stationed aboard El Toro. He told me that place was pretty unsat. He said there was a lot of crazy **** going on there, and it bordered on lawlesness in the barracks. He also mentioned that on any given day, you could walk around the barracks and smell marijuana. Sounds like El Toro was the place to be back then!

I really don't know about any smoking in the barracks. At least not the ones I was in. I was in the new barracks directly across from the PX. It really wasn't the typical squadbay. We lived in 2 & 4 man rooms, 6 rooms to a pod, a living area with communal head & showers. The 2 man rooms had their own head w/shower. I never did see or experience any lawlessness in the entire base. You would get your drunk Marine from the EM Club every now & then but nothing out of the ordinary. It was a great duty station. I re-up'd to go back there from MCAS Beaufort.

Quote Originally Posted by maspotente2 View Post
    I really don't know about any smoking in the barracks. At least not the ones I was in. I was in the new barracks directly across from the PX. It really wasn't the typical squadbay. We lived in 2 & 4 man rooms, 6 rooms to a pod, a living area with communal head & showers. The 2 man rooms had their own head w/shower. I never did see or experience any lawlessness in the entire base. You would get your drunk Marine from the EM Club every now & then but nothing out of the ordinary. It was a great duty station. I re-up'd to go back there from MCAS Beaufort.
    Yeah- not sure what the GySgt is talking about. I've only been around for 19 years but the barracks I've lived in and or toured during OOD around the Corps all have the same issues both good and bad. I've smelled pot being smoked in barracks on at least 3 different bases. People will be people- good, bad and otherwise. You can't just make a blanket statement that any one base is out of control IMHO.

I stayed in the "Castle" on El Toro and also in the Barracks right next to the flight line in Tustin. Good times!!

"I stayed in the "Castle" on El Toro and also in the Barracks right next to the flight line in Tustin. Good times!!"
    The "Castle"? I'm not sure what you might be referring to. I have no recollection of that name. Unless it was the barracks next to the Chow Hall. I did duty (twice)at MWSG-37, H&MS-37. I worked at hanger 296 (I believe), at the DPC (Data Processing Center). Our computer room was actually on the flightline in a mobile trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by maspotente2 View Post
    "I stayed in the "Castle" on El Toro and also in the Barracks right next to the flight line in Tustin. Good times!!"
    The "Castle"? I'm not sure what you might be referring to. I have no recollection of that name. Unless it was the barracks next to the Chow Hall. I did duty (twice)at MWSG-37, H&MS-37. I worked at hanger 296 (I believe), at the DPC (Data Processing Center). Our computer room was actually on the flightline in a mobile trailer.
    It was the large consolidated Barracks that was 4 or 5 stories, huge courtyard- volleyball courts, BBQ's etc. I always heard it referred to as the "Castle"- even the Station Sgt Maj. SgtMaj Wise referred to it as the castle. I think it was built in 95 or 96. It was across from the chow hall.

Wow...way past my time ("The Castle"). I was there in 1974 and again in 1976-1977.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    i came in to el toro twice comeing from vietnan that was the best looking place i have even seen the last time in 68 i even got down on my knees and kissed the tarmat just to be back

Was at ElToro in the early 1960's with VMF(AW)542. The bad thing then was all the trash that Marines threw all over the grounds. I guess they thought that Police Call was calling 911.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarNineteen View Post
    What was your exact unit there? I was across from the firestation from 88-90.Usually went to CAX ex's at 29 palms and a WestPac tour.
    I was with H&MS 13 AVI WC 610 (A4's) and MAG 13 HQ (CMCC) in El Toro. I was with MALS 16 AVI WC 610 in Tustin.

Did several deployments out of Tustin, Okinawa once in 88 went with HMH-462. Two westpacs USS Belleau Wood (HMM-161) in 89 and USS Okinawa (HMM-164) in 90-91-Desert Sheild/Storm.

Anyone aboard the Belleau Wood in 89? Remember we called it the Veal Wood; the chow hall would serve veal patties everyday. How about the two weeks in Sydney Austraila then a week in Brisbane. What a great deployment! Even got a "Battle E" out of that float.

Geiger1

Quote Originally Posted by geiger1 View Post
    I was with H&MS 13 AVI WC 610 (A4's) and MAG 13 HQ (CMCC) in El Toro. I was with MALS 16 AVI WC 610 in Tustin.

Did several deployments out of Tustin, Okinawa once in 88 went with HMH-462. Two westpacs USS Belleau Wood (HMM-161) in 89 and USS Okinawa (HMM-164) in 90-91-Desert Sheild/Storm.

Anyone aboard the Belleau Wood in 89? Remember we called it the Veal Wood; the chow hall would serve veal patties everyday. How about the two weeks in Sydney Austraila then a week in Brisbane. What a great deployment! Even got a "Battle E" out of that float.

Geiger1
    Yes,I knew a marine and a corpsman aboard the Belleau Wood 89.His name was Alex Pena.You guys are shellbacks aren't you?

Thread Information