Marine In Prison
Create Post

Marine In Prison

I ran across this in the Sgt. Grit newsletter and thought I would post it here and get your thoughts on it. I am torn because while these Marines obviously did not uphold our Corps values and did something to get themselves into prison, he/they are still Marines. I do have to admit that while the letter is good and it made me think, I kind of feel the same way that he's in prison and not entitled to anything anymore.

I am writing this on behalf of myself and other equally suited veterans. I am an Honorably Discharged US Marine who is currently incarcerated, of the later I am not proud. I did serve my country honorably and earned the title of Marine on the hallowed grounds of MCRD San Diego.

Many times I have contacted veterans organizations of various matters, either received no response or told I have no moral character. Of the worse is the Marine Corps League. Often many veterans I talk with wonder what's going on. Before we were imprisoned we were veterans, this does not change when we get ourselves locked behind bars. The Marines I live with ask in response to being shunned "What ever happened to 'Once a Marine always a Marine?'" So often their the remembrance of being a Marine helps us overcome the many adversities we deal with on a daily basis. Even the prevention of suicide.

We order pins from Sgt. Grit that bear this motivating legend, or "Marine Veteran", and other creeds of our Corps. Yet time and time again we are abandon by our brother Marines because of being in prison. Many of us work for .32 cents an hour, when we receive a donation request from a Marine or veterans association we donate. Yet when we request help from the same association we get their backs turned on us. We have issues getting our benefits like medical, educational, and disability. We are not asking for handouts only help in receiving what we have earned.

We are told that we do not have moral character, I would like to share the following with you. There is a Marine who is a survivor of the Bataan Death March, (Mr. Keech), he has since passed about a year ago. I was in awe of him and considered it an honor in being asked to sit at the same dinner table with him as he asked me the basic Marine questions, Boot Camp, Unit, years of service, etc. He lit up when I told him I was a 5Th Marine, he had served IN the 5Th Marines prior to Bataan. Though he could not walk very fast, some felt he held up traffic, not once did I walk past him on the stairs or on the sidewalk with out "by your leave".

I had the honor of Frank Soto who earned two purple hearts in Vietnam with the Lima 3/5 (68-69), he called me brother. He cried when I gave him a 3/5 pin purchased from Sgt. Grit by my friend and brother Marine Jim Murrell who submitted this letter for me. Frank cried and shined that 3/5 pin so it sparkled like a star.

There is a Marine who was awarded multiple Silver and Bronze Stars, Purple Hearts, and a Navy/MC Distinguished Service Medal from his tour of duty in Vietnam. His name is Russel Weisse. There is a Navy Seal who was equally decorated from Vietnam, if these men do not have "moral character" the do not lack "Valor".

I served during peace time but was treated like an equal among there combat vets, who gave me the pleasure of being the President of the Mess for 2006 Birthday Ball, which was a blast.

I was the Vice Chairman of Veterans In Prison, the Director of the Calif. Department of Correction has ordered a veterans group for each prison. I have been transferred to a new prison, the group here is still in the initial stages. We need help, We need information on benefits, up grading discharges, and other information of interest to veterans. We need visits to our group from the associations on the "Outside". If you are willing to help in any way please contact me, on The closest prison to see how you can be of service to your brother Marines. I Can be contacted at arryl Newton 2100 Peabody Road, #3-203, Vacaville, Ca. 95696.

I would like to thank Jim Murrell, who is a board member of the Fleet Reserve Association in Bakersfield, Ca. who has been the total embodiment of Marine and looking our for your own. He has went beyond the call of duty to help me and other Marines in prison. He has purchased every Marine publication for me over the past 7 years. He has met every need that I have, some of them more than once. It is not the material help, he has just simply been a friend when I needed one most. At times when it got rough, he barked at me like a drill instructor, reminding me not to give up, by the Marine that I am. It has been a blessing to have his friendship and it all started because we were Marines.

Please, not being forgotten reminds us of what we once were, and what we can once again be. May God Bless America, continued success to our Corps.

Semper Fi,
    Sgt. Darryl Newton

Yea i know what you mean man... but you dont turn your back on your family it takes more than being sent to prison to deserve a cold shoulder imo

Yeah, that's why I was I was having issue with it. It is "Once a Marine, always a Marine".

Semper Fi.....Always Faithful....

Thread Information