Extraordinary document from the Corps' war in Vietnam - Page 8
Create Post
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    '65, how about filling out a profile for us? Part of the site rules my friend.

v/r
    Sgt Lep

Hey, USMC Recon:
    I was trying to answer you and it kept kicking me out of the window, so......
    How about this?
    I was a little confused too. I was with Drawer 16, DaNang in 1964 but was on board 2 different ships...not in DaNang. We had men on shore before the "incident" but I only knew a few of them and I have no idea where any of them went except those that I went ashore with in 1965 at Xa Qui Nhon. Later we were moved to Chu Lai. We were in 1965, C-1-Recon, (when the 7th Marines shipped from CONUS, the whole Recon Bn went with them-Charlie was assigned to 3rd Bn) 3rd Bn. 7th Marine Regt, attached to the 3rd Marine Div. We sailed out of the CONUS as 1st Div. As the 7th Marines have always been, and arrived in the South China as 3rd Marine Div (Rein) There were 3rd Marine Div Recon people in country when the 7th Marines got there. They came in at DaNang in Mar. 65. I was in DaNang one day and ran into two guys I'd been with on the Dishenko in 1964. Anyway, confusing there for a while as to who we were, that is for sure. 1st Force, 1st Bn and 3rd Bn were all joined and were called 1st Recon Battalion in March of 66. You are right on that. I was gone in Feb. but I knew it happened from talking to guys that came thru the hospital in Guam when I was there for 3 months in 66.
    As I said the only jump I knew about was after I left and was sent to Guam, via Clark AFB.
    My comment about the .38's was that only if they were stolen from the Air Force did these guys have any as they were the only service with .38's. As a team leader/squad ldr. and later a platoon Sgt. I had a 1911A1 .45 ACP, just like all the other Marines who had a side arm. One of the reasons I called that story BS. And he was "running thru them firing one in each hand?" Give me a break!!
    Semper Fi

Sgt Leprechan,
    I thought that was what I did yesterday when I signed up.

I'm afraid there is nothing there, sir.

v/r

Credits
    Savings
    All that I can tell you is in 1960 and 61 3rd Recon did have Bars. I know because I carried one for a couple of months. The only change in
    weapons was the M-60 about half though my year with A co. 3rd Recon.
    All other weapons were still being used, grease guns ect. in 61.

"1st Force, 1st Bn and 3rd Bn were all joined and were called 1st Recon Battalion in March of 66."

65, I will log this one up to a bad memory.

Yes as I remember it was C-1st Recon that became part of 3rd Recon early on in the war.

Did you know Doc Brunt or Doc Armstrong?

But this quote above is just wrong. 1stForce was for a while a letter company within 3rdRecon. 3rdReconBn never became part of 1st Recon BN. Not in March 1966. Not any time during the war.

I was in 3rdRecon Alpha co during that time period.

3rdRecon until late august or Sept operated out of DaNang until they moved to the DMZ to stay (except for B company they were not housed in DaNang they were up north PhuBai---I think these guys were at once C 1st Recon but my memory is not 100% on this)

When 3rdBn went north to Quang Tri to stay 1stRecon BN came to DaNang and took over my bunk at Camp Reasoner.

I have posted this before but in 65-66 we did have at least a few BAR's in the BN. At least 3 times I saw it taken out on patrol on my Teams.

The grease gun, carbine, and the Thompson SMG were also available. I carried at one time or another the grease gun and the carbine. But more often than not it was the 12 gage for me.

65, if you were in C 1stRecon does this mean you then became B 3Recon?

If so I have a question.

Were you on the patrol in June 1966 were a large (large by Recon standards) patrol ran into a much larger force of NVA and had a MarineKIA-BNR?

Or the next day when the entire B co went back to recover the body?

My best friend from Lejuene Doc Roach was killed on that 2nd patrol. His first and only firefight.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of 65 View Post
    Sgt Leprechan,
    I thought that was what I did yesterday when I signed up.

I keep getting kicked off that page. I have completed it 3 times now and it throw as flag up on me and blows the page clean. Ideas?

Hey Lynn 2
    The changes you are talking about undoubtedly happened at the times you've given but as I said, I was outta there by March, 66. W had people transferred from Chu Lai to 3rd Recon at or near DaNang during Dec 65 and Jan 66. I was gone from RVN when Ssgt Howard got hit...if that's the patrol you're talking about. Didn't know either corpsman your asking about.

"I was gone from RVN when Ssgt Howard got hit...if that's the patrol you're talking about."

Nope the one I was asking about was up in PhuBai. And that was 3Recon not 1stRecon.

Brunt and Armstrong were both 1stRecon Docs in the states before they came to VN.

But I know how it is. You know the guys in your plt. You may know the guys in your company. What happens in another company may as well be happening to someone on the Moon for all you know. Another company can be a different world.

Except for a Doc or two I bet I did not know one guy from Delta company. And for 13 months they were housed not more than a few 100 meters from me.

I remember well when the Howard patrol got hit. We were getting radio reports of some sort up in Reasoner as those guys fought for their lives.

Doc

Ya, I knew some but not all of the guys in Charlie Co and nobody in the others. It always seemed like chance meeting even with some of your own Co. I do remember running into a guy I went to boot camp with who came in to help remove the tracks that were knocked out on the Van Troung in Aug 65. Haven't seen him since...Chance meet.
    I just had to respond to that stupid "investigation" letter. I usually try not to dig stuff out from under the carpet, if you know what I mean. I spent 25 years in hell, 3 marriages, lots of hangover mornings. I was diagnosed with PTSD (no s***?) 18 years ago, and I do OK most of the time, but the more I leave it alone, the better off I am.
    Semper Fi

In the Nam in early 1968, after my first fire fight at LZ Stud, I traded my M-16 with an ARVN officer for his .45 caliber grease gun. Best deal of my 13 Months in the bush! Back then the M-16's jammed every other magazine! I caught hell when I went to turn that in before I rotated back to the World!

LOL. Too bad you had to.....(Turn it in I mean..)

Yes it is Sarge. The Capt. on the flight line gave me two choices. Leave the gun or stay in Nam! I think I picked the right one! Besides, I have an M-4 now that is dead on at 400yds.

LOL!!! Wise choice, then. Grease gun was fun to shoot (I had one as a 'track crewman in my Army reserve days) but heavy and a PIA.

Thread Information