2nd lt. with jump wings and dive - Page 7
Create Post
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Quote Originally Posted by Finger View Post
    Fist, I've been waiting to see a female soldier with a Ranger tab. Anybody seen one yet?

S/F
    Finger
    As far as I know 1st Sgt, females cannot attend Ranger school, thus cannot earn a tab.

Wanted to shed some light on this and set some people straight, for some back-ground I am Airborne, Combatant Diver and Military Freefall (HALO) qualified. According to MARINE CORPS ORDER 3120.11 (Parachuting) and MARINE CORPS ORDER 3150.4 (Diving) going to Jump or Dive School in a permissive status (Leave/PTAD) is prohibited. While I don't blame the good Captain for taking the opportunity that presented it self and applaud her for making it through a very tough course. The only legal way for a female Marine to go to Naval Dive School is if she went while a Cadet at the Naval Academy. The Marine Corps only sends it's Marines to one school and there is only one school that if you go you receive Dive Pay and that is Combatant Dive School in Key West FL. and the qualifications to go are provided in the MARINE CORPS ORDER mentioned above.

The Marine Corps doesn't have it's own Jump School but does operate a High Altitude Parachute Course using the Multi Mission Parachute System. It has been open for about three years and trains Marines in High Altitude Low Opening (HALO), High Altitude High Opening (HAHO), and Static Line HAHO. This school is run by a civilian company called Complete Parachute Solutions (CPS) and is over seen by TCOM, it is located about an hour east of Phoenix, AR.

Hope this helps shed some light on these issues.

Interesting. Thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by wesclimb View Post
    Wanted to shed some light on this and set some people straight, for some back-ground I am Airborne, Combatant Diver and Military Freefall (HALO) qualified. According to MARINE CORPS ORDER 3120.11 (Parachuting) and MARINE CORPS ORDER 3150.4 (Diving) going to Jump or Dive School in a permissive status (Leave/PTAD) is prohibited. While I don't blame the good Captain for taking the opportunity that presented it self and applaud her for making it through a very tough course. The only legal way for a female Marine to go to Naval Dive School is if she went while a Cadet at the Naval Academy. The Marine Corps only sends it's Marines to one school and there is only one school that if you go you receive Dive Pay and that is Combatant Dive School in Key West FL. and the qualifications to go are provided in the MARINE CORPS ORDER mentioned above.

The Marine Corps doesn't have it's own Jump School but does operate a High Altitude Parachute Course using the Multi Mission Parachute System. It has been open for about three years and trains Marines in High Altitude Low Opening (HALO), High Altitude High Opening (HAHO), and Static Line HAHO. This school is run by a civilian company called Complete Parachute Solutions (CPS) and is over seen by TCOM, it is located about an hour east of Phoenix, AR.

Hope this helps shed some light on these issues.

Looks like she went to naval dive school and basic jump school through the army like other Marines.

Combatant Dive School in Key West FL.?

Combatant Dive School in Key West FL.? What about Naval Base San Diego and Corrinado, CA, where in the early 70's five Marines including myself went to UDT/SEAL school and second class divers school? Or maybe they are not there any more, I have not checked in to that.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool A Woman Won The "Iron Mike Award"

HALO Used too be at Ft.Bragg & Ft.Benning for Force Recon Marines during My Era,and The Rigger School was at Ft.Lee Virginia for all Branches of the U.S.Armed Forces...Leaping Leathernecks S/F

The poster began service, according to his profile, in the 1990's. Likely those schools aren't there anymore?

When all of us are from different eras it makes it more challenging, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by DESwiger View Post
    Combatant Dive School in Key West FL.? What about Naval Base San Diego and Corrinado, CA, where in the early 70's five Marines including myself went to UDT/SEAL school and second class divers school? Or maybe they are not there any more, I have not checked in to that.
    It wasn't combat dive school. It was navy diver school.

In the 50s DSDS was in Washington DC at the Navy yard. that is where they had the decompression chamber.

PS, DSDS was deep sea diving school.

Sorry, just realized I made a mistake, Army Combatant Dive School is in Key West. Marine Combatant Dive School is in Panama City, FL.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by rheinmark187 View Post
    I saw her sitting down with 4 enlisted marines all of whom had their gold jump wings and one sergeant had his divers bubbles. I didn't get a chance to ask them what unit they were with, but I wondered. I'm thinking she might have been a mustang officer (and got both during reenlistment) or might have been part of air delivery platoon at one point. This was at K-bay, where the only units that would use them are 4th force recon and radio battalion. I'm not sure if she knew them from jump school, but they could have been part of the same unit.
    Anyone care to guess what unit she was with?
    She could have been in ROTC during college. A friend of mine has a daughter at UF in Army ROTC. The summer between freshman and sophomore year was partly spent at Ft Benning getting jump qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by AAV Crewchief View Post
    She could have been in ROTC during college. A friend of mine has a daughter at UF in Army ROTC. The summer between freshman and sophomore year was partly spent at Ft Benning getting jump qualified.
    The officer I was talking about saw the thread and commented on it. She was given the spot while she was on active duty.

Thread Information