Super Squad?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Squad?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Super Squad?

I am curious if the Marine Corps Super Squad competition is still held? I was part of a super squad twice in 3rd Marines and once in 5th Marines. We came in a close second in 5th Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Odd that no one has responded.

The super squad competition in all infantry skills .. 13 Marines and a Corpsman. It lasts a week. Everything that a squad would encounter in a combat situation is tested and graded and compared to other squads. You are in a fishbowl the entire seven days and there is no rest. In the early 80's it was a Marine Corps wide competition and then was reduced to a Division competition. The winning squad recieved a gold badge to wear next to their marksmanship badges and ever single member of the squad got promoted. The badge was very similar to the emblem on the good conduct medal.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That darn 5 minute rule got me on edits. I should note that every squad was not the winning squad. All troups that participated but did not win recieved a meritorious mast and the NCO's recieved a Navy Achievment Medal. I was a Lcpl in all 3 that I participated in.

That sounds cool and I know I would've entered into it but no I didn't hear anything about it when I was in.

Just cruisin' through and saw your question. I was with Fox 2/3 and competed on a float at Camp Hansen in, I think, mid-late 1977. Forgot all about that! Good question tho'; we got beat out by a squad from, I believe, 4th Marines on Oki. Too long ago to be accurate.

It's funny I ran into this post. I was the assistant squad leader for the Bravo 1/4 who won that contest and went to DC. We came in 6th overall in the finals.

I didnt know anything about Super squads till a year ago some bouncer was braging to me about how he won it. I wonder if he was for real or not.

As far as I know it is held every year. When I was in it was held at Quanico, VA. It was a nice vacation for us going to Washington DC from Okinawa and getting to see the evening parade at the Marine barracks at 8th and "I".

Back in 1987 when I checked into my first FMF unit (A Co. 1/1), members of my platoon had just returned from Washington DC where they each were presented Super Squad Medals/Badge (not sure if it technically is a medal or a badge) . If I recall correctly, one squad was selected from each Division, but I do not recall that there was a competition between the winning Division squads to see who was the all around winner.

The medal was about one inch wide and one in a half inches tall and made of all bronze I believe. It was worn on the same line as the rifle and pistol badges, if I recall correctly.

The Last I remember hearing about Supper Squad was in 1990 while in 5th Marines, as they were preparing to kick off the competition again. Unfortunately, I believe that the competition was shelved due to the pending deployment to the Gulf War. Other then that, I have no idea if it was ever started up again as i seperated right after returning from the war.

Semper Fi

Competition Squand in th Marine Corp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    I am curious if the Marine Corps Super Squad competition is still held? I was part of a super squad twice in 3rd Marines and once in 5th Marines. We came in a close second in 5th Marines.
    Hello,
    I'm Sgt George Diaz, and I competed in the Super Squad competition the first year it was reactivated, I believe in 1971/2. I was stationed in Okinawa at the time. The first year my squad came in 3rd place, and we won the bronze medal, pinned on our coats by the Commandant of the Marine Corp in Quantico, VA, General Chapman. The following year, we came in 4th place. Training was extensive, an officer was assigned to our squad to trained up physically. My email address is conan1951@msn.com. The training consisted of every facet of military tactics. As far as I can remember, the training lasted at least two to three months.
    Are there any archives that I can go to and obtain the names of the rest of my squad names. I do not remember taking pictures, nor do I have any of the experience. I was hoping to find more information. Thx!

I was at Camp Hansen with Echo Co. 2/5 and came in second place??? Fox Co. beat us out. I was a Lcpl then and the Squad Leader. I still remember Cpl. Galardo from Fox Co. He was the S/L who led the team that beat us.
    19 years later it still upsets me.

Quote Originally Posted by parafrog17 View Post
    I was at Camp Hansen with Echo Co. 2/5 and came in second place??? Fox Co. beat us out. I was a Lcpl then and the Squad Leader. I still remember Cpl. Galardo from Fox Co. He was the S/L who led the team that beat us.
    19 years later it still upsets me.
    Hi,
    Sorry that I did not get to your thread earlier, this is my work email, and I do not get to these emails often. I too was stationed at Camp Hansen all of 1972 and part of 1973. I received an earlier thread, and the former marine sent me a digital booklet of the names of the marines who won 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. Have you seen it? Let me know, and I can forward you the email.

No Worries

Nice to see that this forum does work, I was begining to wonder.

I was @ Hansen on a 6 month pump that's all. After returning to CONUS I indoc'd for Recon and spent the rest of my time in the Recon Community.

We deployed to Somalia in 1992. I was the TL for team Hagen, if any of your Devils are out there Semper Gumby, remember the RED CLAY???

I didn't think that the 5th Marines ever finished 2nd in anything.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    We lost to 1st Marines ... General Mundys son Capt Mundy was the CO of the unit we lost to. Top secret information .... shhhh

Thread Information