Logistics 0411 Questions - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    I was assigned the mos 0441 out of bootcamp which was an Embarkation/Logistical field in which we learned to load ships and airplanes for deployment. That was in 1970, I ended up in FLC da nang Viet Nam where I road shotgun on convoys throughout my tour. My last 4 years in the corps I was station with 1st Marine Brigade G4 where I finally did my MOS duties which was incharge of DAMS (Daily Automated Maintenance System) which followed all the maintenance on Marines Corps equipment that was broke downm, like the other Marine said 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th echelon of maintenance, and when it was due back to the unit either repaired or it was surveyed (destroyed and replaced), in those days they usually ued it to canabolize it for parts. I also was in charge of MARES ( Marine Automated Repair/Evaluations System) this was to determine how bad and what cost to repair equipment. All this information was punched on data cards and ran through the 1401 computer system to be printed out on miles of large computer painter to be distributed from high command down the chain, it was used to determine the equipment readiness of units. The 1401 van was the first computer system in the USMC I beleive, it took a human to punch data cards just to be printed on paper, I don't know if it computed anything. 0400 field is probably one of the most critical mos's in the Marine Corps because it keeps it moving with beans, bullets and bandaids

signed,

Former Sgt Odell

Quote Originally Posted by formulaet1 View Post
    1) What do 0411's typically do on a day-to-day basis?

2) Would you call it an exciting and fun job? Or is it more mundane?

3) Where might they be assigned to (locations)?

4) What are the best assignments for 0411's in your opinion?

5) What is an assignment (if any) you would try to avoid (not that he has a choice in the matter, just asking)?

6) Do 0411's stay as such or do they typically move to alternate MOS's?

7) What other intangible advice would you give to a young Marine starting out in the field?

I hope that is more specific. Thanks in advance for helping me understand things.
    1- It greatly depends on what type of unit he's in. It can be anything from data entry to preparing reports for the CO.

2- It's incredibly boring. I was fortunate to work with it's temporary replacement A2P for about 5 years- now THERE is an awesome logistics platform!!!

3- one good thing about being an 0411 is you can literally be stationed ANYWHERE. I've been at almost every type of unit you can imagine. I've had MANY opportunities come my way because I'm an 0411.

4- Honestly my favorite billets so far have been the MMC of Maint Bn working in the MOS and being the LOG Chief at my last 3 units. Both were extremely rewarding.

5- I have avoided MWSS's land Artillery Units like the plaque. From MY experience they are very hard on their enlisted Corp- especially jr enlisted's (no flames please- if YOUR experience was good then more power to you)

6- Not sure what you mean by alternate MOS's. But 0411's are the only logistics MOS to go from Pvt to MGySgt as an 0411. ALL the other 04 MOS's change to 0491 @ GySgt. If you are talking about lat moving into a different occfield then it would depend on (if you qualify) the strength of the field you are trying to transfer to. If they are at a lower manning strength there is a good chance they will be allowed to LATMOVE.

7- I would say "Bloom where you are planted." That is keep a positive attitude, use initiative, seek self improvement, become as technically proficient as possible. Become an asset- not a liability. And enjoy it. 0411 is a monotonous and at times mind-numbing MOS. But it's not extra-ordiarly difficult. I've taken on secondary billets just to keep my mind fresh. Plus I make sure I move every 2.5 to 3 years. A growing rock gathers no moss. Also I did a LOT of off duty education. I may loath being an 0411 but I'm damn good at it and I've made the best out of a otherwise bad MOS. (IMO) The +'s outweigh the negatives. Plus I'm a U.S. Marine, there are definitely worse things to be!!

YUT!!

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Hello Im a Marine Mom and my daughter just completed MCT her MOS is 0411. How long will it be for?
    Will she be able to get RA before she goes to MOS?
    If not will she be able to come home after she completes MOS?
    Where do they usually get stationed for this MOS?

Thanks!

I just swore in and signed my contract today... i picked 0411 hopefully it will be a great job experience...

I really hope that you enjoy your time as an 0411... I enjoyed mine... gives you some stuff to put on a resume when you get out too so that is always good...

Cpl Boggs,

I'm now with a 3rd shop in the SMCR. Recently, we conducted reserve annual training out in the field at an Army post. Though, we have transitioned into GCSS; this system becomes worthless if there is no internet support. I used EROs and EROSLs as a last resort to keep track of field maintenance. I am a little rusty with advice codes. Can I have a copy of your MIMMS Cheatsheet? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

V/r,

SSgt Garcia sends . . .
    antonio.j.garcia19@gmail.com

Cpl Boggs,

I'm now with a 3rd shop in the SMCR. Recently, we conducted reserve annual training out in the field at an Army post. Though, we have transitioned into GCSS; this system becomes worthless if there is no internet support. I used EROs and EROSLs as a last resort to keep track of field maintenance. I am a little rusty with advice codes. Can I have a copy of your MIMMS Cheatsheet? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

V/r,

SSgt Garcia sends . . .

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Here's another thread 7 years old dug up from the grave of the forum...
    The original poster is long gone from the Marine Corps and this forum I bet.

Request of MIMMS Info

MGySgt,

Do you have any MIMMS/AIS materials I can use? I used to have a MIMMS cheatsheet when I was on active duty. It was very helpful. I know it would be a great tool now that I am teaching junior Marines how to adapt in case we are in a field environment and without GCSS support. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

V/r,

SSgt Garcia sends . . .

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post

Here's another thread ,
    7 years old ,

dug up from the grave of the forum...

The original poster
    is long gone from the Marine Corps
    and this forum
    I bet.

Boggs/ post # 7
    I have a MIMMS Cheatsheet
    you are welcome to email me for it.
    Send me a message if you want this.

Cpl Boggs
    1st Recon Bn
    ............. ............... ................. ..........

at least Biggs/Boggs included an Email-Address
    on his profile....
    .......... .............. .............. .............. ...........

I find it sad , that people continue to request
    things - with the expectation that
    "Someone's
    going to do it for them"

The old ="Wish in one hand-
    $hit in the other-

see which one gets filled first"

Good morning Marine,

That is if you are still a Marine! This is not a thrashing contest. It's funny how all of the sudden we have opinionated devil dogs coming up with cheap philosophy. I wonder where you exactly fall under within the 10, 80, 10. This is supposed to be the go-to forum for 0411s, the subject matter experts. I guess I was wrong!

My question to you is this. Are you a problem solver, part of the general population or just a $hit-talker? It's alright if you don't have the knowledge nor the capacity to offer a solution, just don't become part of the problem. Don't be a blue falcon devil dog! You may contact me directly, if you find the internal fortitude. Provided below is my contact information.

S/F,

SSgt Garcia sends . . .

Thread Information