May 16, 2007 - 12:00AM
Reaching for the top

CHRISSY VICK
DAILY NEWS STAFF
Brenda Maria and Edgar Huff Jr. always knew their two sons would go far.

But they never realized they might both become the national Young Marine of the Year.

Jerome Huff, 16, leaves today for San Antonio with his family to have a chance at the same honor his brother, Edgar III, won in 2004. Jerome recently was named Young Marine of the Year for the 3rd Division, which spans six states.

"It was great because I knew I was one step closer to winning Young Marine of the Year nationally," he said. "That's important because I want to work with the kids nationwide."

The district award earned the Swansboro High School junior a trip to Iwo Jima, Japan.

"It was the experience of a lifetime, being able to stand on the same sand that Marines fought in for our freedom," Jerome said. "I learned a lot."

The regimental sergeant major will stand before the Young Marine of the Year board alongside six other Young Marines and be questioned on knowledge of the Marine Corps and current events, he said.

"I'm pretty confident," Jerome said. "I know myself enough to know what I'm doing and that I have the knowledge."

If the youngest Huff does win the title, he said he will stand there in his own shoes.

"I'm not necessarily following in my brother's footsteps, because I fill my own shoes first, but he taught me most of the things I know," Jerome said. "He's ecstatic for me. He got me into the program."

Jerome began his Young Marine career at the Camp Johnson unit, where his older brother also served. He then went on to the Swansboro unit when it began in 2004.

The Huffs have a history that runs deep in the Marine Corps, and the younger Huffs are eager to carry it on. Their grandfather, Edgar R. Huff, was one of the first black sergeants major in the Corps and the first black Marine to complete 30 years of service.

Jerome joined the Young Marines seven years ago and oversees a Swansboro unit with an average age of 11.

"Young Marines gets you through life - it teaches you everyday characteristics that you need such as honor, teamwork, leadership and discipline," he said. "It offers you the chance to go through different leadership schools and summer programs."

Jerome said the program will help him to be better at teamwork and leadership in college and his future career.

Retired Chief Warrant Officer Donald Shanks, commander of Huff's Swansboro unit, said he already has those qualities.

"He's a great kid with a great sense of humor and he relates well with his peers," Shanks said.

"Just imagine trying to do that when you're 16 years old - it's a daunting task," Shanks said. "But he does it well, and they respond well to him. They all look up to him and think he's a great leader."

Edgar Jr., a psychiatric nurse at Duplin General Hospital, and Brenda, who works at Camp Johnson, are proud of both of their sons, they said. And both are hopeful that Jerome will win the national honor.

"He's good at it - he's very, very good at it," Brenda said. "He makes himself the best, and he's always there for the younger Marines."

Jerome plays baseball for Swansboro High School and is active at his church, the Door Christian Fellowship.

"He did everything he could and worked his way all the way up," Edgar Jr. said. "It makes me overjoyed, but then again I'm humbled and I appreciate that not only myself and my wife, but many other people, have a part in what he's turned out to be.

"Our sons are carrying on their grandfather's legend."

Contact Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or 353-1171, ext. 8466.

Ellie