Rifle Qual?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Qual?

Rifle Qual?

So I know, or at least I think, you shoot at 200, 300, and 500 yards, standing, kneeling (or sitting?) and prone respectively.

How many rounds do you fire at each distance and how is it computed? Is it like in the black is 5 points and incrementally outward is 4, 3, 2, 1, etc?

Just curious, maybe we can get some interesting intel in here instead of "My goal is to go RECON!"

The only time you'll fire that partcular course of fire is in boot camp. I don't remember exactly how the scoring works. I will see if I can dig that up. For what it is worth, after boot camp the qualification course only counts hits. If you hit the black you get a point, if you miss it you do not. The 200 slow fire gives you a possibility of 2 points if you hit the "V" ring in the center of the black.

Anyway, you shoot 15 rounds slow fire at 200 yards. You will do it sitting, kneeling, and off-hand (standing). Rapid fire is 10 rounds kneeling I believe. At the 300 you shoot 5 rounds slow fire from the kneeling and 10 rounds rapid fire from prone. At 500 you shoot 10 rounds slow fire from the prone position. All of this is done with the shooters sling.

There is a chance I messed that up somewhere. I'm running off of memory on this one. As soon as I find the information I will ensure this is all accurate.

I forgot that the course is changing- field fire will not be part of the qualification score. Fleet Marines will again have a score of 250 for a perfect score. Anything over 220 is expert. But, the course of fire is not the same as the boot camp KD course.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You fire at the 200 yard line in the standing, kneeling at Able and Dog targets
    You fire at the 300 yard line in the sitting, prone at the Able and Dog targets
    you fire at the 500 yard line in the prone at the Able target only
    The Dog target is 10 rounds, 5 round Magazines which you change, it is rapid fire. You fire the five rounds change Mags, then fire five more. Both at the 200 yard and 300 yard lines. The total score you can get is 250 points, as you fire each round at the targets the score goes down from the 250 or if you get bulls eyes at five points each it stays the same. There is Rifle Expert, Sharp Shooter, Marksman depending on your score. This also goes for pistol range and scores and badges. The Rifle Range in Boot Camp Qual is the Same in the Fleet, just more kick back and no yelling. Rifle Range will be the same scores at 250 and below after Boot Camp, when you have to requal every year, just like the PFT.

Semper Fi

Sgt, the KD course for Marines changed in 96. It isn't the same course of fire. It is out of 50 points, with 15 possible bonus points meaning it is possible to shoot a 65 out of a possible 50. Here is a link to that course of fire:
    http://www.usmcweapons.com/articles/...ntm16qual.html

The perfect score will again be 250, but that in including the field fire.

Here on Oki I'm about to do my Rifle range again. It's exactly like boot camp.

OK, I give up. It is exactly like boot camp. I just dreamed going through the change from one to the other. I just dreamed the recent changes in the tables. Just don't blame me when you don't get credit for missing the black.

Our table two doesn't affect our overall score here. Sure you can unk, if you miss the targets completely each time. They haven't implemented the scoring system yet.

Right, that is coming in the future, where a perfect score will be 250. The current KD course for Marines has a perfect score of 65.

I don't know what to say. My book still shows it as 5 stages of shooting with a total of 250 points total.

I'm sure it does. The stages are the same. You don't use the same sling, but shoot the same number of rounds from the same places. I posted a link to the current course above.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There was a long experiment with a hit and miss scoring system on the rifle range. The bonus points could only be scored from the 200. 2 points for a center mass shot vice a 1 point hit. There is no longer a sitting position shot. The 200 rapid is shot from the kneeling ... and the 300 rapid from the prone.

Not to correct another Sgt but the 500 target is called a baker and is a man size silloutte.

The Corps has reverted back to the 250 point scoring system for qual and the only difference now is that there is no sitting position.

Very well, I am wrong. I just can't find anything anywhere that says that. I am curious though, if they got rid of the 5 sitting slow fire at 200, where do they make them up? Or did they drop the total round count to 45?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    LOL .... now you have me guessing. Maybe there is a slow fire sitting from the 200. It's still 50 rounds. My best friend has the record at WTBN range Quantico... 249 .... he was not real happy to hear that it could be beat by a 65
    As his story goes he lost focus on shot 50 thinking he was gonna hit a perfect score and slapped the trigger and got a 4. He might still have a record out there his name is Adam Lentz.

249 is a pretty safe record I'd bet.

I haven't been able to find anything about the change still. I do know that both rapid fires are kneeling- which I hate because I don't do kneeling with butt to boot contact well.

I hated the change to only hits, but think it is valid. Getting close to Hajii doesn't help. But, the field fire portion is probably the most important if Marines take it seriously.

Again, thanks for setting me straight. And MKinney, I owe you one for thinking what I could find in MCOs was correct and not what you said.

Thread Information