Rifle Qual? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Qual?

When you take the rifle shooting test, how much of a factor dose luck play? Could you get a bad score (i dont know the diffrent factors involed) from the wind changing up right before you shoot or something like that? Just wondering....

Luck has nothing to do with shooting. It is a skill. The wind could shift, but you are trained how to adjust to that.

Here you go poolees. Rifle range goodness. BZO target from 36 yards, simulating 300. Just hope you aren't paired so close to others to where brass is hitting you in the face. Second Expert award here I come.

That's outstanding Marine. Considering those are 5.56 rounds, and that was 36 yards away, that's a SMALL target.

The BZO target is very small. The path of the 5.56 round is calculated so that due to the rise and fall of the bullet, you'll have the same point of impact at 33 meters and 300 meters. So, to make life simple, you BZO at 33 meters. The target is shaped the same as what you'll be shooting at from 300 meters (or yards according to which range you're at) and is scaled to look the same.

Kinney, those are pretty darn good groups. The M-16 is supposed to be capable of shooting sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards, but I've never seen a military rifle tight enough to pull it off. But, it is clear you were hitting the same hole by the tear on the upper part of the black. Goo shooting Marine!

I've shot a AR-15 and Ak-47s and never got that close.

Jealously

Glad I've stopped the habit, now when I goto boot camp I can learn the proper way and I hope my bad habits are gone after two years.

Thanks for that Corporal
    I wish I had my BZO from bootcamp. I had some smiley faces.
    Hopefully my standing will be a bit better.

I went to rifle range about a month ago, we did not BZO and we went to do the actual firing and the entire CLB-4 got dropped off the range the first day because the Staff Non-Fire didn't go to the brief. Then the next day I didn't get to shoot because the range next to us caught on fire. So we were supposed to shoot the next morning, we got to range and it automatically started to down pore like it was cool so then I could not fire that day either. So they just dropped 5,6,7th relays and only 1,2,3,4th got to qual the next day. Still have yet gone back to finish.

I didn't see any answer to the question, so here's what we did in Boot Camp last summer:

From the 200 yard line:
    5 rounds sitting, 5 rounds kneeling, 5 rounds standing, all slow fire and you have 20 minutes to do it at an Able Target(the circle).

From the 300 yard line:
    5 rounds slow fire from the sitting in 5 minutes at an Able
    10 rounds rapid fire in the prone at a Dog(shoulders and head silhouette)

From the 500:
    10 rounds slow fire from the prone at a Baker(silhouette of a torso)

All prone, sitting, and kneeling is done with a loop sling. The standing is done with parade sling.

The scoring is like you said: 5 points for the black, and each subsequent circle is one less point. The lowest is 2, and a miss is 0.

What I mean by slow fire is you take a shot, and they bring the target down and mark it. While they do that, you mark in your booklet where you think you shot. Then, they run the target back up and you mark where you actually hit, and adjust your sites if necessary, and repeat.

By rapid fire I mean: you go into your prep time, and get your natural point of aim, and get your body set. They then tell you to stand up and load and make ready. They then tell you you can begin firing when your targets appear. When you see any target on any of the target points, you go back into the sitting or prone and you fire 10 rounds, with a reload in the middle(so, 2 magazines of 5). They then mark your groups and run it back up, and you mark that in your book. You then adjust your sites if necessary, and you do that again..the second time around is your score.

Yeah that's how it is for us. for the days before qual day we do two strings of rapid fire and get an extra 5 rounds on the 200 to shoot in whichever position we want, and an extra 5 at the 500 yard. We also did something on the first day (Today) called tri fire. It's like another BZO, but from 200 yards. 3,3,4 to get our sights set for that day.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Perex you forgot about the 10 rounds kneeling from the 200 rapid fire. Days gone by it was 10 rounds sitting.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    The BZO target is very small. The path of the 5.56 round is calculated so that due to the rise and fall of the bullet, you'll have the same point of impact at 33 meters and 300 meters. So, to make life simple, you BZO at 33 meters. The target is shaped the same as what you'll be shooting at from 300 meters (or yards according to which range you're at) and is scaled to look the same.

Kinney, those are pretty darn good groups. The M-16 is supposed to be capable of shooting sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards, but I've never seen a military rifle tight enough to pull it off. But, it is clear you were hitting the same hole by the tear on the upper part of the black. Goo shooting Marine!
    The Army brought match grade M-16s to the interservice rifle matchs and were shooting 1 inch groups from the 600. All switched over to M-14s for the thousand slow. The Marines shot 14's all the way back.

OH and this is another reason why if you all debate going to OCS or being enlisted..

Officers do not go in the pits when ur unit goes to the range.

Yeah, pulling the targets sucks!!!!!!

Yeah deffenately if you are a PFC and pulling the pits.

Thread Information