6th grader honored by marines

Last Update: May 11, 2007 6:57 PM
Story by:
Annie Cutler
annie@abc4.com

It was above and beyond the call of duty for one sixth grade boy. Chase Shutt has been honored by the U.S. Marine Corps for his services to soldiers in Iraq. He sent them packages with everything from socks and lotion, to crossword puzzles.

Chase's volunteer work was part of the "Hope of America" program. The marines overseas were so impressed with Shutt, they sent him a "thank you" the boy will never forget.

Waiting for Shutt in a FedEx box was an American flag that was flown in Iraq in his honor, as well as a certificate of authenticity and a letter thanking him for all he's done for the troops. Shutt says his decision to participate in the "Hope of America" program and help soldiers in Iraq came easily. He says has always loved the armed forces. In fact, his room is filled with anything and everything camouflage. In a letter to the marines, Shutt wrote, "I wanted all of you serving to know that there was a boy in Utah who thinks about you each day. I hope my gift will make a difference. Be safe."

With that letter were several care packages. Shutt says he researched exactly what the soldiers needed from the website "anysoldier.com." He then set up a booth at a local Wal-Mart and collected donations. He collected over $700 worth of supplies. As well as some basic necessities, Shutt sent "beef jerky, a couple toys to give out to the kids in Iraq, Sudoku books, crosswords and word search."

Shutt says he hoped for something in return but never thought he would get something as meaningful as the flag. Part of the thank you letter reads, "I would like you to know that you directly influenced the morale of about 13 marines."

Shutt and his grandfather have plans to encase the mementos in a box that they will build together, then display them on a wall in his room.

Ellie