Friday May 11, 2007
Clear Spring teen accepted to U.S. Naval Academy summer seminar

by ERIN CUNNINGHAM
erinc@herald-mail.com

CLEAR SPRING - Perhaps to prove himself, or maybe to follow in his father's footsteps, 17-year-old Jesse Jarvis says he wants to join the Marine Corps.

Jesse, a junior at Clear Spring High School, will get to experience what life as a Marine might be like during a U.S. Naval Academy summer seminar. Jesse will be one of about 1,800 rising high school seniors nationwide attending a one-week program in Annapolis this summer, officials said. The Marine Corps does not have a summer seminar program.

A spokeswoman with the U.S. Naval Academy said a student from Hagerstown also is enrolled in a summer seminar, but was unable to provide that student's name.

To be eligible for the summer course, students must have good grades, have demonstrated achievement in athletics and be physically fit, according to the seminar Web site.

Jesse said he hopes that after the program he still wants to join the Marines.

"It's to show people who are interested what it will be like," Jesse said. "I'm hoping to get there and love it."

He said there will be classes, physical training and obstacles. When applying, Jesse said he was asked to choose from a list of classes that interested him. He selected sports-related courses.

Jesse said his father, Rodney Jarvis, served in the Marine Corps for more than 20 years.

"That's what I see myself doing," Jesse said. "I don't really have an interest in anything academic, except history. So, this would be something good to do."

While he doesn't have an interest in academics, Jesse has a 4.0 grade-point average and is a member of an academic honor society.

He is a running back and linebacker on the Clear Spring High School varsity football team. He hopes to play college football and said he'll enlist in the Marines after college.

While his mother, Tina Jarvis, emphasizes Jesse's academic success, he said his father is proud of his decision to join the Marines.

"With everything going on in Iraq, I want to," Jesse said. "I just have that drive for proving myself. I want to do it."

After enlisting in the Marine Corps, he said he expects that if the country is still at war that he will be sent to Iraq. Jesse said he feels like he should do something for his country since others are in Iraq and Afghanistan fighting. And he can only picture himself as a Marine.

"I couldn't see myself in a boat or a plane when there are people fighting on the ground," Jesse said.

Ellie