Hidden treasure found at recruit training
Create Post

Cool Hidden treasure found at recruit training

Hidden treasure found at recruit training
    Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
    Story Identification Number: 20033714593
    Story by Cpl. Shawn M. Toussaint

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(March 7, 2003) -- Like old cowboys telling stories of how the West was won to their grand children, some newly graduated Marines head back to their recruiting stations and share their experiences with poolees. With the wide-eyed look of a young child during a bedtime story, the Marine Corps poolees hang on the Marine's every word as if it were a map to a hidden treasure.

Lance Cpl. Ryan L. Pauly, Platoon 2147, Company E, received the opportunity to speak with the company honor man of recruit training when he was a poolee in Maple Groove, Minn.

"One month before I came here some Marines from my home town came to the recruiting station," said Pauly.

According to Pauly, a few of the Marines told the poolees what to do to keep from getting "smoked" by their drill instructors.

"They were saying, 'if you want to get out of this do this,'" said Pauly about the boot camp short cuts the Marines were telling the poolees.

However pleasing this information seemed to some of the other poolees, Pauly was more interested in hearing what the lance corporal had to say.

"He walked back into the station as a lance corporal... he was the one I wanted to talk to," said Pauly.

After speaking with the lance corporal, Pauly realized where he would find his treasure.

"I set that (being the company honor man) as my goal," said Pauly.

Becoming the company honorman is no easy task for any recruit, but for the five-foot-six-inch, 135-pound recruit it was his mission.

Today Pauly completes that mission as he graduates as company honor man of Company E.

According to Pauly's drill instructors, the former Osseo High School baseball, hockey and football player was a highly motivated natural leader.

"He is a good leader, and was well respected among the recruits in the platoon," said Staff Sgt. Ezell L. Justin, drill instructor, Platoon 2147, Co. E.

Pauly's work ethic and humility toward other recruits did not go unnoticed among his fellow recruits during their three-month training cycle.

"He was always there to help recruits who needed it," said PFC Darren T. Janeck, Platoon 2147, Co. E.

Pauly acknowledged his parents, Kevin and Sharon, as the primary reason he is the person he is today.

"My parents raised me well," said Pauly. "They are a big part of my motivation."

Pauly, like many other American youths, considered going to college, but chose to follow his heart and serve his country.

"Sept. 11, played a role in my joining the Marine Corps, but more than anything else I saw becoming a Marine as an opportunity to get a good start in life," said Pauly. "I miss my family, but I'd rather be here starting my life."

Although Pauly's life as a Marine has just begun, he intends to use the training he received from his drill instructors as a compass, guiding him to success and hidden treasures.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image...l_Pauly_lr.jpg
    Lance Cpl. Ryan L. Pauly, Platoon 2147, Company E, looks forward to serving his country as a United States Marine.
    Photo by: Cpl. Shawn M. Toussaint

The Drifter

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Arrow My boot camp treasure was.....

BURIED IN THE PIT OUTSIDE MY BARRACKS!!!! THE SDI MADE US DIG FOR IT EVERY DAY. NEVER FOUND ANYTHING IN THERE WORTH KEEPING!!!

SF,

Thread Information